Check raise as Bluff

N

Nikeballa07

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can be a very effective, but very risky bluff at the same time IMO, and the lower the stakes the less apt people seem to fold to it. So this leaves the question how effective do you actually think this move is, and what stakes do you think you can actually begin to utilize this bluff.

K

KingTurd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i utilize it at the .5/.10 level on PS pretty well. I usually do it with an apparent flush on the board. those really scare people off quite easy.

R

robrtp

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah it would depend on what is on the board....if it looks like you may have a straight etc. then utilize

W

wildcat27d

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i think it can also get u into a whole lot of trouble because the person who rasied first most likely has the best and wouldn't be scared out and they could then sit on the fence while you try to bluff

stellerteller

stellerteller

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would agree with what everyone has said. It depends on the board and how you have behaved on previous hands and on the different streets. You may smooth call small bets and keep the pot small and then reraise on the river with the right board but be careful. I would say only use this when you know the player fairly well. For Example, this person only is in a pot with a great starting hand and position. You could really exploit that but if the person is loose and always throws money around you could just be trapping yourself since you don't have a read. Good luck!

T

thehuthman

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like a previous poster said your image is very important. I play pretty tight and i use this a lot and it is a good way to win pots with the worst hand. But this move only works against good players, please do not try this against a psychopath and dont try it with more than 2 ppl in the pot.

T

tjyff

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well what you do if they reraise you is easy. Fold, cus it means they prolly have the nuts.

sld2

sld2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to be able to put your opponent on a hand that they would be able to lay down before you can attempt this play. Your opponent could have a very strong hand, and just put a bet out there that he wants you to call, so you could become dead money. You have to be able to put your opponent on a hand and take into account other factors like your table image, and your opponents playing style. Plus I would never recommend this in low stakes games.

P

postflopper

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it also depends on the amount u check-raise. and yeah, it probably wont work on bad players, i.e calling stations.

GDRileyx

GDRileyx

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
It works pretty well from the blinds with a crappy board. If you limp in from the blind and check a crappy board, then someone in late position makes a bet; when you raise it looks like you hit two small pair with random weak cards, then checked to make sure somebody who limped with a small pair didn't hit trips, and are trying to take out somebody who made a position bet with air. People in early position are going to think twice about calling, because the initial better might have a hand and reraise. Even the initial bettor might fold top pair and will usually fold a draw. If the initial bettor calls, he might have two overcards, and if a low card comes on the turn, you might fold him with a second bullet.

JohnSmith110

JohnSmith110

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I find pushing hard to the more experinced player has the tendency to work more efectively just because before they make that call they are going to evaluate the hand from every angle before they call. Wheras the donk will call with nothing but middle pair and not think twice about it.

T

tdude

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you are right it is very risky, but can be very effective. even if your opponent has top pair, it will make him think many times that his hand is beat. but do not do the check/raise bluff if you do not think you need to, or think the opponent will call.

silverslugger33

silverslugger33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to check raise on a semi-bluff better than a bluff. If I check with nothing, I'm generally conceding the hand. If I check with a draw hoping for a free card, and it isn't given to me, then I still have some hope for the hand, so in that scenario, I might go over the top.

M

mekrayev

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i never check raise if i dont have a nice hand. check raise can be good bluff because its known as an act that you do when u got an hand, but if someone else got nice hand you can fall in a big hole. if u want to bluff i suggest to make a little bet or if someone else bet before to make a little re-raise to check the other hands

P

paumarhas

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this will work no matter what limits your playing. just depends on your opp's and the table.
your very right about the texture of the board and knowing what you can get away with. and knowing when to fold em, lol.
higher stakes the players generally aren't ready to take as many risks, atleast that's what i've found. (low/medium)
if it's a tourny and rebuy (low-that's all i'll play if it's rebuy) i'd pay close attention, since they're looser in first 6 levels. after the buy/add is over it's easier to try and bluff.
also you have to keep in mind your table image.
well i'm still learning, i'll always be learning i hope.
good luck - peace :)

cjay142

cjay142

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tend to use this play only when I believe my opponent is throwing out a feeler bet and I have a strong straight or flush draw. More of a semi bluff check raise than a straight bluff.

If you raise a small amount and he calls - you've established yourself as the aggressor and left yourself with outs for the river if you don't hit. Leading out on the turn for a good amount will usually pick it up.

If you raise a larger amount and he calls - well then you better hit.