Changing Bet Sizing: Live vs. Online

swannymojo

swannymojo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For those of you who play both online and live. I've seen bet sizing differ significantly between live games and online games. The factor may just as easily be the stakes as much as it is an online vs live thing...

But I'd love to hear your thoughts on if/when/why you change your bet sizing between live and online cash games?

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find difficult to figure how much there is in the pot in live games. It’s just a estimate. Whereas online it tells me exactly and how much exactly. Most time live I tend to low side of the estimate and my bet sizing falls to low to let others draw

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh man, such a great topic, and so much to say about it. I've got a few videos on the topic which give more depth than a typed response could, so here they are :)

Thanks to my co-coach Alex Fitzgerald for the software breakdowns, it's really helpful when you can see all the ranges mapped out like this :)

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always though that bet sizing is based on info about your opponents AF agression factor and their stack size. Haven't changed my opinion years ago, when started playing live.

K

killbello

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very good reflexion. Usually you should be betting at the micros stronger with your good hands and keepping half pot bet or less with your weaker hands, that´s all.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
The general rule is that I raise or bet as much as I think or notice they call with. Especially from early position since that is mostly for value (at least pre-flop).

And live poker players continue to amaze me just how much they are willing too call big raises PF.

Online most are used to standard bet-sizing and you can of course use that fact to your advantage after you get a good read on their style and do unorthodox things.

But mostly everything is bigger live. (Sounds almost dirty).

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Live play is much looser. Its harder to stay tight when you are single tabling and cards come at you slower compared to online. My advise is too stay patient and play your game and don’t overplay marginal hands

Organize a Home Poker Game