calling stations, small ball poker, when to levae table

I

islandtime2

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I picked up something from listning to Annie Duke's show on Roundersradio.com Sunday that actually worked for me last night on UB's .05/.10 tables. She was having a discussion with Phil Helmuth who does not usually call in but did this past Sunday. Somehow they started talking about changing from standard strategy when on a table full of calling stations. Phil of course disagreed with most of what Annie said but I tend to trust Annie's analysis (since I think I understand it) and never have understood Phil's. Basically she was saying if you are on a table and are certain most pot's there are going to end up with 3 or more opponents in to the river (irregardless of bet sizes) then hands like non suited weak A's or even AJ,AQ,AK lose value and suited cards, pairs and connectors gain value since with multiple opponents at the end TPTK will likely lose and it is going to probably take a set, a straight, or a flush to win. Well coincidentally I ended up on a table where after a little while (and losing a little money) I realized I had a couple of calling stations who no matter what you bet, small or big, they were going to call and and chase and show it down. I lost early as they were catching ($20 buyin went to $14)and I was playing TAG and trying futilly to win with the big A's and pairs. But then I remembered Annie's advice and I started not playing those and just playing pairs to hit sets or fold, and suited cards and connectors, and would keep the pot low until I hit (basically what I think Negraneau calls small ball poker) and low and behold I slowly climbed back and left with $27 since I also know a 35% profit is a good time to leave. Of course it was nice to have opponents for once who for the most part cooperated with my pot management. Anyone else have similar experiences and what do you do if a LAG raiser shows up (they give me the most problems). Also, when do you all leave a table ? 35% up ?

whiteboy

whiteboy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think that's a little different than small ball poker. in small ball poker you raise small a lot even when you don't have a hand in order to confuse your opponent of your holdings and in hopes of trapping them when you actually do have a hand (and i doubt you would use this against calling stations).

the strategy you used seems pretty optimal, except i don't know if i would completely ignore big A's. at least see a flop with those type of hands and if you hit, go with it. even if they do stay with you the whole hand, you still have the highest chance of winning (in most cases) so you would want to be in that hand. sure, you will have some bad beats, but it will pay off in the long run.