Call or Fold

D

DALE211

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Many times I have suited cards like an 8 and a 5 and fold them only to see a flop that would have given me three of a kind, flush draw, straight draw or two pair, making me wish I had called the big blind minimum call.
Should I call to see the flop? What is the right thing to do?

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many times I have suited cards like an 8 and a 5 and fold them only to see a flop that would have given me three of a kind, flush draw, straight draw or two pair, making me wish I had called the big blind minimum call.
Should I call to see the flop? What is the right thing to do?

It is not many enough to make it worth calling.

J

jonfelkin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I rember at least 3 times where i would of Flopped a Full house with a hand as bad as 7-2o this doesn't mean its a hand you should ever play, The money you save not playing these poor hands will more than make up for any money you would of won on the few times you do hit, even when you hit a draw your not gaurentted to win, incressing your savings even more.

19RK64

19RK64

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yep protect you stack,but have you ever played four or five hour and looked back to notice over 40% of your folded scrap hands were best hand if played?do we no why the player is raising preflop? yes,do we want to fish ,well HECK YEA, after first part of game, final part of game,low stacks going all in, i will call with just about anything if not over 15% of my stack, the chances of me getting them out of the way
-V- their valued cards is worth it

TheJace

TheJace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In ring games I will limp in with cards like that all the way down to 53o if I'm in late position. You wouldn't believe how many times I stack people flopping the nut straight with weird shit like this because they just can't put you on 53o & 96o. It does take a lot of experience though to know which cards and in what spots you can do this type of thing with. For newer players I would just say play it safe and don't play any 1 or 2 gapped connectors, just play suited connectors down to about 65 until you are a more experienced player.

B

bush2008

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
no u should NEVER see the flop with hands like 85 suited.

TheJace

TheJace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never huh? This guy is perfectly showing why I will play it all day long in position. You'll probably never see it coming and I'll take your stack while you bitch about your pocket Aces getting another bad beat. GG welcome to poker.

H

Hughes4

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't ever really limp with hands like that. Unless you are in late position with a lot of limpers in front of you.

I might try to steal the blinds with them if tight players are in the blinds, but when the good flops come out just think of all the times 8 5 Doesnt hit

19RK64

19RK64

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hahaaa, again A-A, hurts more players than any hand in poker ,just maby even killed 1or2 but ya just never know

P

phatjose

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't play hands like 85s often, and usually with position. Occasionally, I will play it out of position and raise just to mix things up. I want to stress that really the only time I will play a garbage hand like that is with the intentions of showing the hand in order to create the impression that I play those types of hands.

The best is when you hit the flop hard and then take down the pot with what started out as a marginal hand. Not only do you win the pot, but you get to set people up since they will see you just raised/played basically a garbage hand. Interestingly enough, I raised from a middle position earlier today with the same hand (85s) and dragged the pot after I hit 2 pair.

Folding in Poker