Building up a bankroll the FR way

M

macfulltilt

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Doesn't make you a bad person if you're broke. Hell, I've spent most of my life that way, lol. But, if someone can't afford to deposit $50-$100 to play micro-stakes then they shouldn't be gambling.

Just read some of the other peoples replies on here most would agree with that, and play only the FR route, and BTW, im not really broke its just the my $ needs to go for whats important, and poker isn't one of them. I've never once deposited any $ at FTP or whatever. I've so far within starting about 5 months ago, but lately I've been busy got now over 12$, and i just want to build that up, either for smaller buy-ins or cash out, or both.. and I'll do this for however long it takes. but I also have a life so not gonna put a time limit on it either :hahaha:

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What's ther big deal about not depositing? If you're actually a winning player but happen to lose your bankroll due to variance, then why wouldn't you deposit and avoid having to start from zero in freerolls where your EV is tiny? Even a great player like Chris Ferguson noted that the first step ca be the hardest.

As for not being able to afford to deposit, or using your money for other priorities, that seems like self-justification to me. Go work a enough hours to earn an extra $50 or $100, and use that to play. It'll take a lot less time to do that than to win the same amount freerolling. So you'll be well ahead of the game.

Of course, if you're not actually a winning player, then the above doesn't apply.

KnappTime

KnappTime

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just Started

I have just started plaing free rolls somewhat seriously. For about 1 year i myself was a donkey. Just the two days i have belonged to this site your free rol stradegy has helpmed me made it deep twice in free rolls on full tilt!

M

macfulltilt

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What's ther big deal about not depositing? If you're actually a winning player but happen to lose your bankroll due to variance, then why wouldn't you deposit and avoid having to start from zero in freerolls where your EV is tiny? Even a great player like Chris Ferguson noted that the first step ca be the hardest.

As for not being able to afford to deposit, or using your money for other priorities, that seems like self-justification to me. Go work a enough hours to earn an extra $50 or $100, and use that to play. It'll take a lot less time to do that than to win the same amount freerolling. So you'll be well ahead of the game.

Of course, if you're not actually a winning player, then the above doesn't apply.

To Me, what you said sounds more like ignorance instead of thinking of the ppl now are having a harder time getting jobs or disabled in some way, but get money that is just enough to survive, well me im the latter, Im disabled in so many ways i, hearing being one of them. and by law im also blind. so.. now if your wondering then, how i can read, use a mac, and go to system preferences and enlarge the screen for seeing, and for hearing wise, im deaf in left and have severe to profound hearing (this means 80-90%) loss in right, do wear hearing aid but it sucks, ppl automatically think with any type of hearing loss that with a hearing aid, its all back to 100% hearing when really it isn't, I did work years ago, but found it difficult to even really do anything productive, so keep that in mind, when ppl go and play poker online.

Double-A

Double-A

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To Me, what you said sounds more like ignorance instead of thinking of the ppl now are having a harder time getting jobs or disabled in some way, but get money that is just enough to survive, well me im the latter, Im disabled in so many ways i, hearing being one of them. and by law im also blind. so.. now if your wondering then, how i can read, use a mac, and go to system preferences and enlarge the screen for seeing, and for hearing wise, im deaf in left and have severe to profound hearing (this means 80-90%) loss in right, do wear hearing aid but it sucks, ppl automatically think with any type of hearing loss that with a hearing aid, its all back to 100% hearing when really it isn't, I did work years ago, but found it difficult to even really do anything productive, so keep that in mind, when ppl go and play poker online.

I don't think Arjonius was attacking the messenger so much as attacking the message.

There are plenty of benefits to playing in freerolls (especially CC ones) but that doesn't mean they are a good way to build a bankroll.

Ferguson's "Zero To Hero" project proves that a winning player can start from scratch and get a bank rolling. But, it took him over seven months to get steady at $6.50. If his only goal were to build a bankroll then he'd have been better off spending a day collecting aluminum cans.

I

I Eat Snickers

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i would like to do that to though its tough because of the player types in freerolls you get called by a2c most of the time but it feels good knowing you built something from nothing so all the time you spent pays off.

G

gnomo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i started playing poker by the freerolls. it's hard to build a solid bankroll starting by them and you will have a lot of work to do it, specially because of the crazy fishes in these tournaments. but good luck.

tazztaz

tazztaz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nothing wrong with building a bankroll from freerolls, but know the facts.
First of all at almost any poker site, freeroll winnings are just that "freeroll winnings", NOT ELIGIBLE FOR CASH OUT, unless you have made a cash deposit at the poker site. After winning a sizable amount on free tourneys it could still take some time to clear these winnings, with "Ranked hands Played"

So be sure to check the requirements at your poker room on freeroll winnings.

R

reb0202

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
keep plugging away

keep plugging away man you will only get better at the game the more you play and free rolls are good for learning does anyone else agree??:D

dvd-GT

dvd-GT

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play at sites other than Full tilt if you want to play fr. their payout is very small, 1% of the field make the cash, some sites pay up to 20%.
You can make the money by playing tight, i used to make 10c a day on pokerstars in the UK fr. and i did not even play, i would register then go and play in the daily $200 fr. on Poker4ever (3pm est), i found it easy to cash in the Poker4ever fr. and usually made the money on Pokerstars while sitting out.
If you go deep in a fr. you will win enough to start playing the micro stakes SNG, but not on FT, other sites have 10c buy-in SNG and if you win a couple of dollars you can start playing these SNG and build your br. more quickly.
Good luck.

Exit141RTe1

Exit141RTe1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is tough sledding in the FR's, but it can be done. I think if I was happy with continuing with what I was confortable for me. I like the Fr's as much as anybody else, but man you give up a good five hours for sometimes not all that much cash. Fun though. Nothing wrong with the ring tables. I'm having a blast with those and have tried a few $1 tourneys.

I like the CC Fr's, loads of fun with a decent

T

trojan87

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i recently had a 130 dollar bankroll on full tilt from nothing in a few moths by playn railbirds and reg freerolls then started playing sitngoes. i lost my roll about a week ago playn 2/4 horse lol big mistake. now im tryn to built a roll again myself. gl on the felt bro

kschuster

kschuster

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've won a little over $17 or so from freerolls....i've lost it all lol, but i dont plan on ever making a deposit. I'm gonna keep working on building a healthy bankroll only playing freerolls. I do play a lot of em however and i think the only danger i face is getting bored of them cause they are usually pretty long tourneys. either way, i will still grind em out so i can start a good bankroll.

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Follow the BR management like someone managed that Ferguson has - it really helps a lot.

R

reb0202

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
more power to you

Hey it can be done but you may be drawing SSI by the time you get enough but if that is what you chose to do I wish you all the luck bud

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say it isn;t a great idea to wait and only play freerolls until you get to the 175-200 level. Not only (as mentioned before) will this take a lof of time, but it also won't teach you how to become the best possible player you can be.

My advice is to take $1(.25) from one of the FRs you won and play a quick SnG 9 player. If you make the money play another. If you lose, play a few FRs and be done with the money games for the day.

Good Luck to you whatever you decide to do!

F

Flushbuster

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls

I like freerolls, but only the private ones with small amounts of players. Otherwise they are a huge waste of time. I played in a $500 freeroll with 3,202 players the other day, took 9th place and got $1.33 hardly worth it. But it was cool to have a huge stack of chips at the final table!! I suggest starting your bankroll at th small stakes cash tables. Just don't get greedy and try to double up all of time. Make a buck or two and move to another table. Seems to work for me!!

P

pokeher6_2006

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i too started with nothing 1 month ago on pokerstars by cashing in some freerolls and have turned my br now into $40 mostly in one table $1+.020 sngs my reasoning being that it generally isnt that hard to at least make 3rd for the money and by making third your at the very least gonna make half the buy in to your next one

J

jvtelemark

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Building from scratch is a dream come true

Just want to say good luck, and it seems like a kot of players both have failed and succeded with this strategy.

I would like to recommend 3 things in this exciting experiment is that there are a lot of sites that is better suitable than full tilt poker

Also I would touched anything before I reached at least 15$

And third of all: Give me some blogging or something where you can write about good and bad moves, this gives you the extra motivation to stay focused

Good gaming, if I meet you heads up at Full Tilt, I will immediately lay down all hands for that extra few cents in your pocket..... NOT!!!

J

jeffownsyou

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea good job man. It takes a lot of hard work to build a bankroll from nothing. But you have done well so far. When you get to about 10 then start playing some min. sngs on full tilt. If you are skilled in hu i recommend that. Good luck to building your free money bankroll

ActAsIf

ActAsIf

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tried to build a nice BR from freerolls, and it seemed like there was a point in bank-roll building - for me it was after I had won $40 from freerolls - that freerolls no longer felt like they gave the $ return for the time needed to wade through the huge fields to cash.
At that point I too started to invest in micro ring games and $1 sng10 tables. That way I didn't stress out my newly minted BR, but I didn't have to deposit money, and it still felt like I was making a solid $ROI with good effort.
Bottom line: go ahead and win some freerolls. Just make sure to set your BR goal so you know when it's time to move on to the next level of game that will both preserve your BR and challenge you.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management