V

victoriahill

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everyone...

Couple things to answer your questions:

For the best profit return overall I would say that cash games offer this to you as most good cash game players can make more than a good tournament player (great cash game players make more than great tournament players etc..).

That being said though the style that wins in sngs is better suited for MTTs, expecially late. Dealing with a shorter stack and looking for spots to get your chips in good is much different than a cash games.

In cash games you generally are sitting on 100bb stacks and there is a much different hand value that you should be willing to stack off with. Both games are played a little differently, so good luck with whatever you choose to branch out to, but it would seem to me that MTTs would be the easier transition in the short term....

Last edited by a moderator:
MrEwubbsZ

MrEwubbsZ

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Alright thank you guys. Clearly Spookeys way is going to do nothing but make someone go broke so i really appreciate your guys helping me out...

jazzaxe

jazzaxe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am a firm believer in depositing money on a regular basis, win or lose. I budgeted what I would put into online poker and have really never changed from that since I started. I kind of looked at it from the viewpoint of when I was playing a home game I would be willing to play with so much per week. I use that amount of say $25.00 to $50.00 per week as a deposit. If you having a losing streak you may not have to drop down as quickly and if you are making money you can move up quicker.

toned14

toned14

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chris Ferguson

One of Full Tilts pros went from nothing to $10,000 without depositing anything in his account, it took him months!!

Use the link to see his story, theres also a link on that page that shows you how to manage you bankroll, hope this helps and good luck, i'm trying this myself!!

http://www.fulltiltpoker.com/chris-ferguson-challenge

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
It pays to remember you will not build your bankroll quickly.I see no evidence of how Spooky made $1600 in cash games.
You must act as if the goal ( I hope you have one ) is in the far distance.You are playing in my case for a year not by the day.
You are sitting and waiting for your good theories and play to be proved correct and your opponents' theories proved wrong, this will take time.

S

Skaplun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
one of full tilt's pros lmao...
he's a bit more than that haha

MrEwubbsZ

MrEwubbsZ

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lmfao.. that is funny that he said one of FT's pros. i think everyone on CC has knows who Chris Jesus Ferguson is and has read that thanks for looking out if i haven't read it though.

5TR8 FLUSH

5TR8 FLUSH

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think you should follow the ferguson advice when it comes to the micro stakes, a lot of the vid's on the FTP academy are very helpful and you should take it for granted. A couple of time i've built BR from nothing to over $50 then lose it all the very next day. Hopefully you get on a good run soon so you can build up confidence then move up to the 2/5c tables when you reach about $75 and 5/10c tables at $150.
Hope all goes well for you and you keep your BR for a while, Best of luck. :)

TheUndertaker

TheUndertaker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have been trying to build a bankroll from freerolls and low stakes for the past year and I still have no luck therefore i don't think i should give you any advise lol. All i can say is good LUCK we in the same boat.

MrEwubbsZ

MrEwubbsZ

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
haha. thanks for the luck undertaker.

Theblueduce

Theblueduce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great comments here folks. We can all take advice from them. Thanks again.

psy0nyd3

psy0nyd3

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I got a $4 transfer from a friend who won a freeroll, and right now I'm at $21. Its been a roller coaster, originally I worked it up to 23 over a 2 day span playing the 40BB max .01/.02 cash tables. The following day I stepped up to the 100BB tables and just got thrashed all the way down to 12 bucks.. so I'm going to stick with the shallow tables until I'm at $40.

10% of my bankroll at one table is just too crazy. Everything I've read says 5% is the extreme max that you should ever bring in.

toned14

toned14

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He may be a bit more that a pro but what other word is there for him an no smart arse replies please, i know who th man is, but as adjectives go thats what he is, a pro....

MrEwubbsZ

MrEwubbsZ

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry toned... it was just funny the way you said it.

toned14

toned14

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
aaa no worries, i was just on edge that day...

N

natsteel

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I started out with $50 a couple of months ago and within a week had built it up to $500 (mostly through multi-table SnGs and some cash games way above my bankroll)... Needless to say, I got cocky and started playing twice the limits I had been and within two weeks it was gone. I rue my naivete now but it was a lesson learned...

Now, after a little break and taking learning seriously, I started again with a small >$100 deposit. Playing mostly $5 SnGs, $3 90-player tourneys, and 5NL, I have now doubled my bankroll in about a month and am a much better player now than when my bankroll was 4x bigger. I know I am a good enough player to be profitable at $10 SnGs and 10NL over the long run but because my bankroll isn't big enough I just stick to the correct levels for my bankroll.

My point is that I suspect most people have to learn the hard way not to give in to the temptation of playing higher stakes.

MrEwubbsZ

MrEwubbsZ

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just got pretty tilted and found my self playing 10nl with a BR of only 20 dollars. i ended up getting the guy for 60 bucks.
I know i got lucky and im taking it back down to 2nl but it felt good and gave me a huge boost. = )
Some times it pays off to not follow proper BRM Not happening again though.

G

Gutshot22

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
From Chris Ferguson's 0 - 10,000 Challenge.

For me, this experiment isn't about the money. It's about showing how, with proper bankroll management, you can start from nothing and move up to the point where you're playing in some pretty big games. I know it's possible because I did it once before, turning $1 into $20,000.

To ensure that I keep my bankroll intact, I've adopted some key rules:

I'll never buy into a cash game or a Sit & Go with more than 5 percent of my total bankroll (there is an exception for the lowest limits: I'm allowed to buy into any game with a buy-in of $2.50 or less).
I won't buy into a multi-table tournament for more than 2 percent of my total bankroll and I'm allowed to buy into any multi-table tournament that costs $1.
If at any time during a No-Limit or Pot-Limit cash-game session the money on the table represents more than 10 percent of my total bankroll, I must leave the game when the blinds reach me.
I think a lot of players would do well to apply these rules. One great benefit from this approach to bankroll management is that it ensures you'll be playing in games you can afford. You'll never play for very long in a game that's over your head because, when you're losing, you'll have no choice but to drop down to a smaller game. You can continue to sharpen your game at that lower limit until your bankroll allows you to move up and take another shot. These rules also prevent you from being completely decimated by a bad run of cards.

Dropping down and playing lower limits is difficult for a lot of players. They view it as a failure and their egos get in the way. Many want to remain at the level they'd been playing and win back their losses. But this can lead to some pretty severe tilt - and that can go through a bankroll in a hurry. I know that dropping down was difficult for me in my run from $1 to $20,000. When I first played in the $25/$50 game, I lost. Sticking to my rules, I dropped down to the $10/$25 game. I had a losing streak there and had to go down to $5/$10. That was tough. After playing $25/$50, a $5/$10 game was boring to me.

But I had the discipline to stick to my rules, and that motivated me to play better at the lower levels. I really didn't want to lose any more because I knew the consequences: I'd have to play even lower and work even harder to get back to where I'd been, which could take as long as a month. If you ever find yourself bored or frustrated playing at the lower limits, you're obviously not playing well. Take a break from the game. Often, stepping away can give you a fresh perspective and heightened motivation to play well when you return.

There are a couple of more tips I'd like to share regarding bankroll management. First, you should never play in a game that is beyond your bankroll simply because the game seems to be soft that day. It's never soft enough to risk money that puts your bankroll in jeopardy. The other point is that you should avoid playing in games that are at the top of your bankroll limits, when a lower game offers more opportunity for profit.

I'm confident that by sticking to these sound bankroll management rules, I'll make it to my $10,000 goal. These rules are sure to help you as well, as you pursue your own poker ambitions. So, if you want to start your own quest - or play against me while I'm continuing with mine - come open a free account at full tilt poker and look for me online. But hurry, because I'm hoping I won't be in the lower limits for too much longer.

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just got pretty tilted and found my self playing 10nl with a BR of only 20 dollars. i ended up getting the guy for 60 bucks.
I know i got lucky and im taking it back down to 2nl but it felt good and gave me a huge boost. = )
Some times it pays off to not follow proper BRM Not happening again though.

Trust me it never pays off. And what is worse is you got rewarded for it.

It'll be the silent killer.

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sry didn't notice how old this thread.. why did u comment on a 5 yr old thread.

Still a good read tho

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I made one $50 deposit at FF several years ago and started at 2nl. I done pretty good and moved up to 5nl, and then 10nl. Then I was able to cash out, and when I did, I went back to 5nl. I'm still playing off that first deposit, because I did just what you are doing, get advice and use it. GL to you

ledge4131

ledge4131

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
From Chris Ferguson's 0 - 10,000 Challenge.

For me, this experiment isn't about the money. It's about showing how, with proper bankroll management, you can start from nothing and move up to the point where you're playing in some pretty big games. I know it's possible because I did it once before, turning $1 into $20,000.

To ensure that I keep my bankroll intact, I've adopted some key rules:

I'll never buy into a cash game or a Sit & Go with more than 5 percent of my total bankroll (there is an exception for the lowest limits: I'm allowed to buy into any game with a buy-in of $2.50 or less).
I won't buy into a multi-table tournament for more than 2 percent of my total bankroll and I'm allowed to buy into any multi-table tournament that costs $1.
If at any time during a No-Limit or Pot-Limit cash-game session the money on the table represents more than 10 percent of my total bankroll, I must leave the game when the blinds reach me.
I think a lot of players would do well to apply these rules. One great benefit from this approach to bankroll management is that it ensures you'll be playing in games you can afford. You'll never play for very long in a game that's over your head because, when you're losing, you'll have no choice but to drop down to a smaller game. You can continue to sharpen your game at that lower limit until your bankroll allows you to move up and take another shot. These rules also prevent you from being completely decimated by a bad run of cards.

Dropping down and playing lower limits is difficult for a lot of players. They view it as a failure and their egos get in the way. Many want to remain at the level they'd been playing and win back their losses. But this can lead to some pretty severe tilt - and that can go through a bankroll in a hurry. I know that dropping down was difficult for me in my run from $1 to $20,000. When I first played in the $25/$50 game, I lost. Sticking to my rules, I dropped down to the $10/$25 game. I had a losing streak there and had to go down to $5/$10. That was tough. After playing $25/$50, a $5/$10 game was boring to me.

But I had the discipline to stick to my rules, and that motivated me to play better at the lower levels. I really didn't want to lose any more because I knew the consequences: I'd have to play even lower and work even harder to get back to where I'd been, which could take as long as a month. If you ever find yourself bored or frustrated playing at the lower limits, you're obviously not playing well. Take a break from the game. Often, stepping away can give you a fresh perspective and heightened motivation to play well when you return.

There are a couple of more tips I'd like to share regarding bankroll management. First, you should never play in a game that is beyond your bankroll simply because the game seems to be soft that day. It's never soft enough to risk money that puts your bankroll in jeopardy. The other point is that you should avoid playing in games that are at the top of your bankroll limits, when a lower game offers more opportunity for profit.

I'm confident that by sticking to these sound bankroll management rules, I'll make it to my $10,000 goal. These rules are sure to help you as well, as you pursue your own poker ambitions. So, if you want to start your own quest - or play against me while I'm continuing with mine - come open a free account at Full Tilt Poker and look for me online. But hurry, because I'm hoping I won't be in the lower limits for too much longer.

Great advice! Thanks for sharing. Even though this article/post is a few years old, does it still remain relevant in today's game? Are there any tweaks to be made to your BRM rules?

Pauliefromgoodfellas

Pauliefromgoodfellas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For the past few months ive been trying to build a Micro Stake Bankroll but its just not happening. every time i get up a sick cooler brings me down. Can anyone offer some help or should i just not waste my time anymore?

If you are building up from freerolls that will happen because you are likely to only have a few buyins (look up the Jesus Ferguson Challenge), but at the same time you can study more because some of these sick coolers may be avoidable.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management