Bubbling out..need some support

Tigersmith

Tigersmith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Seems like I can never cash a tournament. Maybe I need to change my play in Middle late tournament play..

about 40% of my finishes are in Middle Late, Do I just need to tighten up at that point? Or how do you guys usually approach this

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tighten up? How loose do you play? What are your starting ranges?

I for one mix it up during the middle/late stages, depending on the table, I'll generally loosen up a bit if I have been on one table for an extended period of time with the same players and my image is tight, but once a new player enters the table I'll tighten up when the new player enters a hand, I'll also tighten up when I get moved to a new table until I think I have an image of a tight player then I loosen up and make positional steals every 3-4 orbits.

Last edited:
OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You'd probably need to give a bit more information on your play to make a good analysis, but in general...

Pretty much everyone's natural instinct around bubble time is to tighten up - nobody wants to be the last person not to get paid. This should mean that the bubble is actually the ideal time to get aggressive, steal blinds and punish those who just want to limp into the money. Don't go crazy or anything, but some controlled aggression can usually be put to good effect here.

Depending on the size of the tournament (this is something that happens more in big MTTs than it does in STTs), be aware that there'll be a lot of people who will loosen up immediately after the bubble bursts too - they've made their goal of reaching the money, anything more is a bonus, so they'll start throwing chips around without much thought for the consequences. Again, if you change gears to suit here, you can get bumped a decent way up the payout ladder.