Breaking Even at 1-2 NL Live 5 months normal? 30 hours a week

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds like a serious hobby if your putting in that much time. Do you work a regular job? I assume you put it 4+ hours a day. If your trying to live off your poker it may be time to focus on something else. Try online and condense your weekly playing time to a few hours a day multi-tabling. Instead of getting 200 hands a day in you can get that in a few hours online.

Aaron Soto

Aaron Soto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't play online. It's just not my game of choice. I'm a live player i need to feel the opponents out and have better luck i think. Online just ain't my thing.

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Guy's I'm an experienced player. Simply put, I just don't think 1-2 No Limit is a profitable enough game over the long run. The reason I feel this way is that there are simply way to many players in each hand. Fish will call any bet you put out there and unfortunately once variance hits WHICH IT DOES, AND IT WILL. You can find yourself down a a thousand. I do have some weaknesses. I plan to jump back into the 1-3 games. I used to do pretty good on the 1-3 and my results were much better then this 1-2 crap. Here are my results for the 1-2 over this 6 month stretch. This will probably be my last time playing 1-2 since simply put, I do not think it is profitable of a game enough.

This is the exact data:

543 hours total
Net Profit: -350$
Buy-In Amount a day = 200$ (yes I did tilt some of these days very bad and lost around 500 to 600)
Total Days Played = 87
May = -810
June = -735
July = +768
August = +706
September = +498
October = -777

Total Profit = -350$

No one can help you if your cup is already full. You say you are experienced.

Then you say there are too many players in the hands.

I have thousands of hours in 1/2. It is beatable I assure you.

If there are too many players in hands, you aren't raising large enough, or you have shitty image and fail to recognise it, or some other thing I don't know.

If they call $10, and you going 5w, raise to $15. Etc. That is one simple tip, but you should already know this if you're experienced.

A good player can beat 1/2 for at least 15/hour. A really good player 20/hour+. I have a friend who beats it for over 40/hour.

It's whatever. If you want to quit, or feel the game can't be beat, then quit. You gotta know though you can't ever be at a point in poker where you have it figured out. The game is constantly changing, and there ARE things you don't know, that would help you.

Aaron Soto

Aaron Soto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very aware that study is constantly involved to be a winning player. At least I'd imagine. An no I'm not going to quit. Just going to regroup. And sorry I'm not going to believe your buddy beats 1-2 live for 40 an hour over the long run. And "if" he does it's because the buy-ins must be between 200-500$ stacks are much deeper which could make a difference. Again, with no graph, no data, no proof I'm calling bullshit on that. Why play 1-2 and make 40/hour when you can play 2/5 or 5/10. "True" skilled poker players are winning 60% of there sessions any # above that is astronomical. Good luck buddy.

Aaron Soto

Aaron Soto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By the way. Top level 2/5 players are said to make 30$ an hour and that's the best in the world coming from Daniel Negreanu. Again, 30 an hour seems quite low i think more like 40 or 50.

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yo man, I'm just trying to help.

Truth be told, if you can't beat 1/2 you are doing something wrong bud. Your opponents are atrocious and they literally give money away.

If you are too stubborn to take advice, or believe stuff, I don't care man. Keep breaking even.

If I had a few dozen losing hands from you, I could help. It's clear you don't want help. You think it isn't possible to beat the game over a large sample.

You are making mistakes if you can't beat 1/2.

This is my last 1.5 years of 1/2 only. And I sucked 1.5 years ago. I actually had some help from a couple poker friends. I was humble, and learned.

My hourly rate is climbing over time. I can snapshot last 6 mos if you want.

Here is a sample for you bro. Learn from those who play the game better, or just continue treading water, your choice.

I'm done with this thread now. If you want help, or want to get better, lose the chip on your shoulder. I'll help you, others will too. Just ask.

And I doubted my friends numbers too. He's a beast man. It's whatever.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171104-234546.jpg
    Screenshot_20171104-234546.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Screenshot_20171104-234554.jpg
    Screenshot_20171104-234554.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 70
Aaron Soto

Aaron Soto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, that's incredible......

how do you play that many hours man? I take it this is all 1-2? Why no 1-3? or 2/5? I do have a large number of hand samples that I've played and written down. I keep track quite a bit actually of hands I have played. If possible can i send you my entire information on my poker credentials? For example: Hands I have played, situations, basically hand samples from 1-2.

By the way, is this really all 1-2 NL? from your photos?

My absolute biggest problem currently, is that I over play coin-toss situations. As well as overplaying AK, and have a tendency to Go All-In when unsure what to do.

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow, that's incredible......

how do you play that many hours man? I take it this is all 1-2? Why no 1-3? or 2/5? I do have a large number of hand samples that I've played and written down. I keep track quite a bit actually of hands I have played. If possible can i send you my entire information on my poker credentials? For example: Hands I have played, situations, basically hand samples from 1-2.

By the way, is this really all 1-2 NL? from your photos?

My absolute biggest problem currently, is that I over play coin-toss situations. As well as overplaying AK, and have a tendency to Go All-In when unsure what to do.

I filtered out other stakes like 2/5. That's only 1/2. It's 1.5 years so not that much volume.... I play to make a living, and not that good of a living at that. I don't fit in in the rat race. Poker suits me. That's what I do. I still can't beat 2/5 very well, slightly over break even. I ran bad, but there is work to be done as well.

1/2 people make calling mistakes. 2/5 people generally make aggression mistakes. The two stakes play quite a bit different. One things for sure, gotta crush 1/2 before moving up to 2/5.

Coin flipping is for gamblers. We aren't gamblers. We play poker. Online it's better to 4b and 5b AK, but live at 1/2 these people are too scared and passive to bluff. They'll have you in bad shape a lot when you get it in with AK.

I'll help if you want it. No worries. Someone helped me. I'm paying it forward.

Get at me, PM me or whatever, if you want. I'll give you my email if need be.

Aaron Soto

Aaron Soto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds good. I will. Thanks man.

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First things first....

Read "The Mental Game of Poker" by Jared Tendler.

Imperative. Read it more than once. Find sections that apply to you, and re read them after tough sessions, even after good sessions. It's important we don't get too hung up on short term results, and think if we won, we must have played awesome. I've won my fair share of pots from getting it in and sucking out, but we gotta always try to make the right decisions, and there will be misreads/coolers.

Every mistake is an opportunity to learn something valuable. I've learned some tough lessons.

I read that you tilted off some cheddar. Tilt has no place in poker, and that's the most important leak to plug. Every hand is just a spot. If we are hanging on and trying to win every pot, or we are making bad calls, triple barreling with air, etc, these are most likely all problems with some form of tilt, as discussed in the book I recommended above.

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
wow, this is the most important thread I have read yet...very thought provoking... it made me take a step back and evaluate things as they are, not just how I would like it to be

N

nashty22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's normal but also a waste of time. If you aren't turning a profit why play?

S

Smokewood

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play 1-2 nl live cash games full ring. Started with 2k roll.
1st month June- lost 2100 (yes entire roll)
2nd month July- won 2600
3rd month- August- won 998
4th month- September- won 406
5th month- October- lost 700 (running so awful)

Currently at about 1200$ in profit lol. I literally play poker about 30 hours a week if not more. From June to today. Is this normal? Time to just give it up????

Play strong hands and ONLY IN POSITION.
This means folding KT suited per-flop in all positions except HJ, CO, and button.
For example....

Organize a Home Poker Game