Votes: 7 70.0%

• Total voters
P

Pivel

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just want to say HI to everyone out there first of all since I'm new to this board.
Here is my dilema with book selection. I get to choose three free books since I signed up through internettexasholdem.com and am almost at my # of player points needed to get the freebies.

CHOICE #1
Holdem for Advanced players by Sklansky
Theory of Poker by Sklansky
Small Stakes Holdem by Sklandky

OR
CHOICE #2
Harrington Volume #1,2 and 3.

Any input would be great,thanks for any responses.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The Harrington series are essential IMO. I haven't read any Sklanksy books, though, and can't say which would be more important to get first - though I can say that you definitely can do no wrong reading Harrington's series.

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
CHOICE #3 - All of the above and more. (Super System, Caro, etc.)

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Are you predominantly a no-limit player or a limit player? Omaha, Stud, Hold 'em?

If this will be your first book on poker, I'd skip Hold 'em Poker for Advanced Players. I don't know what other books they can offer, but Getting Started in Hold 'em will get you much further much quicker than any other book on the market, if it's the first read.

P

Pivel

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What kind of player I am.

I have played well over two years of poker 99% no limit and 1% limit.
6 and 10 person sit and go's, with 6 being my favourite.
ROI is at 29%, so I have done well for myself I feel.
Want to learn more on limit cash games as opposed to playing the sit and gos.
If that is any more help towards people making there vote for me then great.
Thanks to all who have responded and all who do.

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
harrington. havent read sklansky. whats harringtons volume 3 like, as i have 1 and 2. do i NEED to buy it. im a TAG no limits holdem player

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
harrington. havent read sklansky.
You're making a blanket recommendation to buy books specifically geared towards no-limit tournaments to a guy who says he wants to focus on limit cash games, while simultaneously adding the caveat that you haven't read the other alternative he put forward? :p

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're making a blanket recommendation to buy books specifically geared towards no-limit tournaments to a guy who says he wants to focus on limit cash games, while simultaneously adding the caveat that you haven't read the other alternative he put forward? :p
and thats why i'm stupid. sorry

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
doh, meant to add, never read sklansky, so havent got a clue what he's about. anyone else answer my previous question?

J

JAQKTheRaper

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Lee Jones & Phil Helmut

I suggest 2 different books which havent been mentioned by anyone. These books are good for both inexperienced and experienced I think.

Wining Low Limit Holdem - Lee Jones
Play Like The Pros - Phil Helmut

All the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marklar

Marklar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I started playing holdem about 6 months ago. The first and only book I've read was called The Illustrated guide to Texas Holdem by Denis Purdy. It covered Limit cash games. I thought it was pretty decent especially for me since I really didnt know how to play and I needed something to help me learn. It has I think 150 illustrated hands and he analyzes each one. He'll tell you what happens before the flop then after the flop and will kind of quiz you along the way asking you what should you do here, etc then he'll explain the correct move all the way through the river (if you make it that far). Most are actual hands he's been involved in.

I just received all three of Harringtons books in the mail and I started on volume 1 last night.

But the best learning tool for me so far is watching Daniel Neagranu play and analyze hands, sometimes he'll think outloud on the show High Stakes Poker when he think's he is beat.

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
DO NOT buy ALL-IN by anthony holden, i got it from the library, its so novice-like, its a crime. how to sign into a poker site, how to use your cedit card, etc. guy needs shooting. ok, he wrote Big Deal, a great novel, but as a poker player, I reckon I could beat him(probably not)