Bodog beginner SnG, need help!

S

Seneku

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's said that the beginner freerolls on bodog are about the easiest to make money in. I dicided to give it a shot and after 20 games I'm already about 10 bucks down (the entry is 2,20). I consider myself a reasonably solid player and I feel like I'm playing better then at least 75% of the people there (everyone limping with small stack while the blinds are high, lots of min raising, calling with weak hand etc). I usually play tight/agressive (seen flop about 20% of the hands), but somehow it doesn't pay off. Can someone please give me some advise on how to play these tournaments, because it's increasingly annoying me, for example the last tournament:

5 ppl left, 150/75 blinds, and I'm on the BB with 2200 chips holding QQ. A tight/passive player with 2800 chips on the button calls, SB folds. I raise to 450-500 and the button calls.

flop: J-4-5 rainbow. I bet another 700, almost sure my QQ, get called. I think he's holding a J with a decent kicker, so I'm confident that I'll win. The turn is a 3. Now I'm positive that unless he's slowplaying, I win this hand, so i throw my chips in, only to get called by a 4-3 offsuit.

I mean: is that for real? Do people always get lucky on me, or am I the one who's crazy?

If someone has experience with these type of tournaments, please share it with me, because I'm desperate.

Off topic: I'm 99% confident that the guy who's suspected to have killed Nataly Holloway also plays in these tournaments. Really freaky to play against a (suspected) murderer.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just shove the flop. Pot is ~1k, we have ~1.2k left, I just want to get my money in while ahead rather than risk horribly second-guessing myself if a scare card (A/K/J) comes on the turn if villain calls.

S

Seneku

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's a good point, but on the flop i had 1700 chips left and hoped to make some more out of it. I've read the article about low stakes sit n go's. Anyone got some specific tips for playing at these bodog games (since they have a different payout structure)

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, 1.7k, I have a mental block when reading hands without a hand history. :p

Looks pretty standard then tbh. Be thankful that donks get lucky sometimes otherwise there would be no donks playing. :)

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The example you describe is just a ridiculous bad beat. Not much anybody can do about that.

More generally, play these tournies very tight until you reach the bubble, and take no chances. Because of the payout structure, you don`t need many of the opponents to make errors and you are in the money. Once you are close to that point (and assuming the blinds are at a reasonably high level) start stealing. These two tactics should be enough to get you into the money, then you can loosen up and play to win, if possible.

Be aware that the number of players and the standard of play has risen noticeably in recent times, since this forum and others carried posts to the effect that there was easy money to be made. Don`t assume that the opponents are all clueless. There is now a sprinkling of good players there, often multi-tabling several tournies at once, possibly not in the $2.20 buyins, but certainly in the $4.40 and $8.80.

S

Seneku

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you Egon, I will try to steal more when the blinds are worth it and be even tighter earlier. How do you feel about playing Ace-x suited and suited connecters with 10/20 and 15/30 blinds (stack around 1500). I usually limp them, only to throw them away after a raise or just not hitting anything with them.

Stefanicov

Stefanicov

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dont play a x unless the blinds are masssive and u stealin thy will get u in so much trouble. Pretty much sme advice with suited connectors untill u got down how to play thm u should pretty much stick to premium hands early in a sng:)

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Practice this in play money games.

FOLD EVERY Ax you get till it comes natural. It will take time, but is sooooo worth the learning. While doing that, fold every other hand that doesn't just thrill the sh** out of you.

Not being results oriented tends to produce results.

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you feel about playing Ace-x suited and suited connecters with 10/20 and 15/30 blinds (stack around 1500).

Depends on position. I would suggest that, in the early levels of these particular SNG`s, you play mega-tight from early and mid position. Play only AA, KK, QQ, AK, AQ and pop in a 5x BB raise to chase limpers out. Follow with a continuation bet, unless the flop is scary.

From late position, throw in suited Aces, Small Pairs, and suited connectors, if you like, but keep firmly in mind that you are doing so mainly to mix up your play and keep the opponents from easily pegging you as a tight-ass. Drop these weak hands if you get a raise behind you, and be prepared to drop them if you don`t fully connect with the flop. Don`t get sucked into chasing any draws.

There was a spell, in the 2nd half of 2006, when I was making an average of around $100 a month profit just from the $4.40 (mainly) and (a few) $8.80 SNGs at Bodog by playing the simple style I`ve just described. As I said above, the general standard has improved and I don`t say it`s as easy as that now, but there is still money to be made there.

D

doorbread

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nothing you can do there but change what you labled as his style of play. Tight / passive players don't call raises with 4 high. :p Your hand was strong enough to where you wanted to get some value out of it, so I like betting and not pushing on the flop.

M

MAX101

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with everybody play tight till the blinds go up I just try to pick up on players habits at first let the donks take themselves out basicly I dont start playing till I hit the bubble by then I know who plays strong and who plays weak and I get aggressive I always come in 1 2 3

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
who's nataly holloway??

A tourist who disappeared on the island of Aruba, believed to be dead. Three guys were arrested and questioned, but released for lack of evidence. Presumably it was one of these three guys that Seneku played poker with.

B

bw07507

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to play the beginner tourneys a lot when I had a small BR, and I always play super tight until I reach the money. You can pretty much fold every hand and get into the money if you wanted to. I raise hands like AA, KK, QQ, JJ, AK, AQ. Limp with 77+ dont call any raises with them. Of course I will do different things based on position. I have a feeling you are playing a little too loose calling with suited connectors and such, try playing a little tighter at the beginning and then loosen up once 5 are out, see how that works for you.

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not being results oriented tends to produce results.

i like this phrase.

Bodog Poker - Bodog PT - Bodog ES - Bovada