Bluffing Tactics!

smells_flushy

smells_flushy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I realise that my game is relied heavily on the cards dealt to me, and i seldom bluff, and this (i think) has led to some of the losses that I've incurred. I thought it over and over, and I concluded that the reason why I seldom bluff is because I not apt in realising bluffing opportunities during the game.

However, I'm not completely clue-less as to when I should bluff. I should bluff when I sense weakness; that is, when the table checks to me.

So, I'm asking CC to give me any bluffing advice, or link me to your favourite bluffing article, or any great article that helped you and will help me.

(I've already read the "Bluffing in Texas Hold'em" article from CC).

Thanks for reading!

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you bluff, you are playing the players rather than the cards because, obviously, you don`t have a strong enough hand to justify the move.

You have already mentioned position and weakness, which are important factors in picking your spot. Two other key ones are:

Your own table image. Your move is much more likely to be respected if you have been playing tight.

Target the correct opponent(s). Don`t try to bluff an obvious calling station. Choose a cautious player, ideally one who is tight-passive.

tnt72

tnt72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In MTTs when blinds get up 100/200 and up is when I will start working in some semi-bluffs and bluffs.. For example lets say I'm in the BB with 2 limpers and I'm holding 10/6os I will normally put a pot sized bet in (700) most of the time that does it. If one does call and flop comes lets say 6,3,Q. I'll lead with a decent bet 30-50% of the pot..Make sure you've got the chips and the table image and use it very sparingly. Hope this helps..It takes time to learn and you wll lose your fair of chips but that poker:D .T

G

Ghost Ridah

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The above posts have been helpfull probably for you, I would like to add one more thing. The turn is the best place to bluff, if you ask me. When someone bets less then about 1/2 the pot they are most likely trying a bluff, if everyone else checks and a bet of about 1/2 the pot comes, I am reraising it. I'm not going to move all-in, but say the pot is around $15 and someone bets out $6-7, I have found the most success reraising to about $25-30. Make sure you have the chips to make the bluff, so that if someone calls you down you still have enough to get out of the hand without risking yourself.

G

Ghost Ridah

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks Chuck, I read that article and bookmarked it right away. A very well written article that should help people learn how to bluff. I would consider myself a decent "bluffer" I don't really like to bluff, but when the time is right I will do it, and I even learned some info reading that article, once again thank you

C

coolkennylee

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When you bluff, make sure you bluff with an amount that you are sure your opponent will call on. Also, don't bluff against beginners, because they are likely to call.

XxJackAcexX

XxJackAcexX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try not to!

I Usually try not to bulff due to if i am called on it i usually get screwed!!! and i hate screwing my self :banghead: it us ually hurts more when i lose on a bluff! so i tend to stick to tight play!! but its usually hurts losing either way lol Cause well sometmes its not how you play a loss is eventually headed your way lol:icon_joke :icon_joke :goodnight :ac4: :as4: VS :kc4: :ks4: the ACES"S can still lose lol those A's have killed me many times

smells_flushy

smells_flushy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I Usually try not to bulff due to if i am called on it i usually get screwed!!! and i hate screwing my self :banghead: it us ually hurts more when i lose on a bluff! so i tend to stick to tight play!! but its usually hurts losing either way lol Cause well sometmes its not how you play a loss is eventually headed your way lol:icon_joke :icon_joke :goodnight :ac4: :as4: VS :kc4: :ks4: the ACES"S can still lose lol those A's have killed me many times

With the rockets, I'm not bluffing.

S

snakeyes214

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
calling a bluff

last week was playing in a local live tourney $20.00 buy-in.
three players and me still in the hand after the flop .

can't remember what i had for a hand ,
maybe middle pair no kicker
play was checked to me i bet about 1/2 the pot got one caller
turn didn't help me but he checks and i bet about 1/2 the pot again
he call rather quickly. River was an ace he checks i bet again representing the ace and he calls, cards are turned over and he has ace high and i win the pot with my little pair.

i asked him why he kept calling my bets and he said " I knew you were bluffing " . i told him o.k. but if you are gonna call a bluff you better have something to beat it. GO FIGURE......
:rolleyes:

T

taktaka

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here is an example of a bluff I thought was clever. Only works against thinking players though as the author cautions.

a high level play

N

nutstun

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluffing is a multifacited endeavor in which one must consider a multitude of variables. Is the table tight/loose/ agressive passive and which players vary from any norm. Tight players can be bluffed at at the flop and will usually only call with a hand or strong draw. Loose agressive players can often be bluffed by calling bets on the flop and turn if a "scary" board is forming (str8 or flush draws) then a meditative pause before betting out about 1/2 or more of his chip stack (if you have that much) and in most instances you will be successful, providing you put him on a busted hand. Paying close attention to every move made by every player EVERY HAND will help to identify who and who not to bluff. Always make a bluff like you WANT to be called. Take care to not bluff too often but you must bluff to get action when you have the nuts. Keep studying and playing and you will inprove. Always "mix your play up so as to remain unpredictable.

arkeymedus

arkeymedus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont consider myself a expert poker player,but i have most luck bluffing late on in tourneys when i have a healthy chipstack n the flop shows a pair say 882 when i'm last to act and 2 maybe 3 all check i'll pause for a while then stick in a bet say 3 times the min bet(make sure you are giving a TAG image out) most times i'll take the pot,but watchout for anyone slowplaying(it happens)of course it could be someone else is trying to outbluff you..