NightFun

NightFun

CC Elite CC=AWESOME! Woof
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Don't think of it as bluffing, think of it as agressive play. Watch the players and do it more to the ones that have a pattern of betting only when they have something. If your in postition or close to being in good postition don't ever let anyone have a free card. I hear this often "If you bet or raise you have two ways to win"

Great advice....I like this one

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't think of it as bluffing, think of it as agressive play. Watch the players and do it more to the ones that have a pattern of betting only when they have something. If your in postition or close to being in good postition don't ever let anyone have a free card. I hear this often "If you bet or raise you have two ways to win"

If you go all in with 72o you have about one way to win. :icon_porc

T

tigertight

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bluffing is a skill you just need to play with some one and let them tell you what to improve something that when you bluff to make you look confident in yourself and your hand something that will scare anyone away idk i read this in a book hope it helps see you in the poker room :p

starfall

starfall

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're relatively new to poker, then one thing to bear in mind is that the bluff is one of the most over-used tactics in poker, and can make for very costly mistakes.
It's less about how much you bet (you want to be enough to put someone off, but not risk more than you need to or look like it's just trying to buy the pot, but the exact amount depends on your opponents and the table conditions and what kind of hand they have and more), and much more about psychology and position.
Being in late position gives you the advantage of being able to see if someone looks weak or not (and therefore how likely they are to fold to a bet), and the psychology comes in when you're trying to work out what kind of person they have and what kind of hand they're likely to have. Some people will rarely fold, especially on the river, and you'll have a hard time bluffing them. However, others will play very tight, and will often fold when the flop misses them.
The other thing to be aware of is what the other person is likely to fear. Overcards, and cards that make a straight or flush possible, those are often cards which will either improve someone's hand or make them think about folding. Equally when the board pairs one of the lower cards, this can give a player pause for thought. It's not very helpful to think of particular cards (like Aces) as 'good for bluffing', it is far better to think in terms of likely hands for the opponent to have and what cards would make them think that you have made a better hand.

Just don't fall into 'fancy play syndrome' and throw away money on hands where all you can do is cut your losses.

strongbower

strongbower

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hehe, if your playing heads up and feel the need to bluff :) play every hand like limit poker :D

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ahh the art of the bluff, so hard to master, but for me the best part of the game

K

Kundera

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I played a hand recently where I had - I think - second pair, an overcard and an up/down draw. Flop was checked, on the turn my opponent bet (I think with top pair and a weak or weakish kicker) and I called. On the river a 3rd suited card came down and I'd missed my straight draw. I was pretty sure i was beat at this point. However I bet fairly low (perhaps a third of the pot), a bet which made it seem obvious that I'd hit the flush and wanted my opponent to call. He folded.

With bluffing, sometimes opportunities just present themselves.

A common falacy, too, is that you've got to bet big to push someone off a pot. Sometimes the bets where it looks like you want your opponent to call are the ones most likely to get your opponent to lay down his hand.