Bluff check raising flop

J

Jarud

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm looking for study material on when to bluff check raise flop out of position specifically when we are Utg to CO and when we get called pre flop by a player which isn't in the blinds.

I can find material on big blind check raising but this isn't what I'm after. Primarily when Hero gives up his betting lead, faces a bet then x/raises.

Example
Preflop
Hero raises to 3bb from HJ
CO calls

Flop
Hero checks
CU bets 3bb
Hero raises to 9bb

What texture boards does hero take this line and with what hands as a bluff.
Thanks

Ogma

Ogma

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
In my honest opinion, people overthink poker.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Do a search on YouTube and you get a lot of material.

Here is one:

J

Jarud

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do a search on YouTube and you get a lot of material.

Here is one:
Thanks but this is all big blind check raising, not what I was after, Internet seems full of big blind spots but nothing on mp vs cu, or cu vs button.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Thanks but this is all big blind check raising, not what I was after, Internet seems full of big blind spots but nothing on mp vs cu, or cu vs button.
Probably because it is an unusual line. If you are the pre-flop aggressor you usually bet. If you check it mostly to check-raise for value, or call or fold.

"
CHECK/RAISE FLOP STRATEGY

This isn’t a situation that will come up often, and to be honest, isn’t really necessary, but I still feel it should be included. Again, balance is important, so check/raising should be done with a very polarized range.

With our nutted hands, check/raising as the preflop aggressor makes sense when villain is both likely to bet when we check AND continue with worse. Otherwise, betting or check/calling are better.

As a bluff, we’re going to want some equity when called. So if we’re getting a bad price to check/call flop with a draw, check/raising can make sense when fold equity exists.

Still, it’s really difficult to find enough value combos to distribute evenly with our bluffs to balance out our check/raise strategy. This is the reason I said it’s unnecessary, but I at least wanted to provide some logic should you decide to use it.
."

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I'm looking for study material on when to bluff check raise flop out of position specifically when we are Utg to CO and when we get called pre flop by a player which isn't in the blinds.

I can find material on big blind check raising but this isn't what I'm after. Primarily when Hero gives up his betting lead, faces a bet then x/raises.

Example
Preflop
CO calls

Flop
Hero checks
CU bets 3bb
Hero raises to 9bb

Thanks
So with any bluff play it’s going to come down to the villain’s frequencies which hopefully you have been paying attention to. Is this a person that can fold top pair by the river?
Your play is a little fancy here so villain is likely to just check behind and see a free card to try and suck out on you. If he does bet and you check raise, I think it look super strong so if he raises back it’s an easy fold. It’s if he calls you then you still have another chance to bluff. Could get expensive depending on how far you want to push it. Good luck!

Last edited:
blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Check raise bluff only if you are ready to keep barreling or if opponent is weak and will overfold. Most will still call you, so you end up going to the turn OOP In a larger pot than it has to be. Done sparingly it can be effective against thinking opponents.

Saul2025

Saul2025

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Depends.
How you think. What is calling his range here?

Lower pocket pairs? Middle suited connectors? A4-AJ, KJ, KQ, QJ, QT, JT?

If he caught flop and you have monster it's posible to check-raise this hand.
You catch bluffs too.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

Example
Preflop
CO calls

Flop
Hero checks
CU bets 3bb
Hero raises to 9bb

Thanks
There isn't a formula to play postflop games. Your example is good but it relies on a series of details such as opponent psychological profile and behavior.
As a rule of thumb, avoid to be fancy at the micros and to play a more ABC plain black and white game.