Big PP on the first hand

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Big PP on the first hand...

Its the first hand of an SNG or MTT and Im dealt QQ UTG. Gah, why is this so hard for me to play?

Of course Im going to raise, but im in EP and I have the full table to act behind me. I like to maintain a TAG image, but raising on the first hand doesnt accomplish that. Limping is definatly not an option, though if I hit a Q, my hand is well hidden. I can expect to see hands like 10J, K10, QJ, Suited connectors, Ax suited, etc. Table play is usually pretty loose on the first hand so I can expect at least 3 or more callers, to which I'll have to check/fold if I dont improve. There is also a chance of a reraise or a push. I dont have a read on the table, so I cant put my opponent on a range of hands unless I have notes on them. Do I call a raise and play OOP? Do I push all in myself? Going out on the first hand sucks. If my opponent pushes, do I call? I only fear AA, KK, and AK. JJ and lower, I can fold to a push. KK or AA, Im definately calling. QQ is in the middle.

What do I do?

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jeffred1111

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really don'T get why you let metagame concerns bother you that much. You have QQ, you have the third nuts preflop, play that thing hard even if it is the first hand: raise it, see what others do and call a reasonable reraise. Push on any flop that is safe if you're 2 or three handed and wheee, you take it down.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands