Big pair, small kicker

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just been trying this play lately, and it's worked most of the time. Would like your expert opinions on it, as I might be playing this all wrong and just not seeing it.
Ok, you're in a SnG or MTT full table,it's the first hand, with no reads on anyone and you're small blind. You get Kd5s and manage to limp in, with 3 others. Flop is KcJh6h, you're first to bet. At this point I bet roughly 3/4 of the pot for information. Everyone calls. Turn is a 3d. What's your move?
This is where I check. Ok, I've bet for information and got nowhere. I can't see the 3 helping anyone, and I figure that my pair of kings might be enough to win, but more than likely someone has a higher kicker. Now, if anyone else bets big, then I would indeed put them on a pair of kings, with a high kicker, or a set, so I'm beat anyway and fold. If they bet small then I'm assuming pair of jacks/pair of sixes/pair of threes or a flush draw and would call. Anyway, everyone checks. River is an 8s. What now?
From my point of view the 8 didnt help anyone(it will now and again, but rarely) so this is where I bet about half the pot. The people on lower pairs will probably think I'm bluffing and call, or fold, and the flush drawers will fold anyway. And I take down the pot.
The check on the turn saves you chips, and also gives you information as to whether people have a made hand or are drawing.
Please tell me of any major flaws in this strategy that maybe I'm oblivious to!

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the buy-in would provide some good info.
If it's a big buy-in and people are cold calling behind you, i might put them on either a monster, or a draw.
If it's low buy-in, i can safely assume that noone else has a K because more often than not, a player will push with top pair/any kicker, or at least raise. They could also obviously be drawing, or be calling down with second pair (if they're really weak).
I don't mind your play here, for either situation (big or small buyin) - top pair weak kicker has to be played cautiously. It sounds like you had decent reads on your opponents, and acted accordingly.
Good players do well in marginal situations because they use they're hand reading skills to determine where they're at, and act accordingly.

JessieBear15331

JessieBear15331

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To be honest, I play hands like K5 very similarly to you Kerouac. The thing is, I occasionally play extremely tight, and fold hands like these PF unless I can see the flop for cheap. I read opponents better in a live tourney, people have subtle tells they don't even know about(blushing, flared nostrils, looking right at the card that makes their hand, etc.) that can be detected easily. Online tourneys, I'm not so good at reading. Of course, I perform the perfunctory, "what could they have?," but unless they raise to monster proportions, I don't know if my hand is the best or not.