Big hand in the SB, nobody else in

R

Reducto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm struggling with my SB play. One situation in particular I'm puzzled by is what to do when I'm in the SB, everyone folds to me, and I have a premium but not made hand like AK or something strong against a random hand like KT. I mostly play micro stakes NL ring and the occasional tournament.

The BB will often assume you're stealing and play aggressively and I have trouble distinguishing this from real strength. I usually wind up picking up the BB only or losing a lot more.

Any general tips?

riverboatrat

riverboatrat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends on the person to your left.

Normally a min raise from the sb might get a get call from a loosish playing.

I often like to limp in behind an aggressive player who will raise in order to protect his BB. When they do that I pop em.

Otherwise if the person is a average player, a bit neutral I will make a normal 3 X BB raise

mfturq

mfturq

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends on the person to your left.

Normally a min raise from the sb might get a get call from a loosish playing.

I often like to limp in behind an aggressive player who will raise in order to protect his BB. When they do that I pop em.

Otherwise if the person is a average player, a bit neutral I will make a normal 3 X BB raise

This definately... aslo when I play live I usually make it a point to look at my cards when the action is to me.

However in the SB I sometimes do something different. If I know that the BB is someone who checks their cards early, I will try a get a quick glance at mine while they are looking... with my hopes being he won't notice. When action gets to me (if I have the type of hand you describe) I put out standard 3x. My hope being that they attempt to repop to defend thinking I am raising blind in position to pick up the BB. My action beyond that point becomes read and situation dependent.

The reality of all this is that I play small limit donkaments and cash games...therefore somewhat sure that none of all this makes much difference because 90% of the players are just recreational and not really interested in the chances their cards in their hands have let alone 2nd level thinking. I however am somewhat amused....so I continue to do it at times

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands