Being Honest with oneself: dropping down to 2NL

ALL IN CLUBS

ALL IN CLUBS

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just curious?? What happened to the should move up now to .5nl post?? I still stand by 100 BI per level to move up....or at least 100,000 hands at each level.

Last edited:
F

fx20736

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just curious?? What happened to the should move up now to .5nl post?? I still stand by 100 BI per level to move up....or at least 100,000 hands at each level.

My BR as of this morning is $ 103 (51 BI). Once I get it to around $ 130-135 I will move up to 5nl. Since I am 12 tabling @ 2nl I am thinking of 6 tabling 5nl for awhile to make sure I'm doing ok and build up some hand histories, although I do have about 40k hands @ 5nl so there should be plenty of those regs still around.

Were you on early today? Could have sworn I saw your Id around 6am.

ALL IN CLUBS

ALL IN CLUBS

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nope. Was not on i play .01-.02 right now. But i will be on shortly:D :icon_sunn

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

wow dude thats crazy. My head would explode if I had to play 2nl until I got to $500. I started at 2nl and am currently playing 25nl(yes i am rolled for it under the 20bi BRM rule, I started with $5 and have never deposited some i'm not constantly adding money) and I've only played maybe 130k hands in my online poker career.

IMO if you have at least 20BIs for 5nl and you're beating 2nl move up.

ALL IN CLUBS

ALL IN CLUBS

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I didn't create the rule Dusty Schmidt says that you should have 100 BI for the level you play at i believe....

Last edited:
ALL IN CLUBS

ALL IN CLUBS

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
100buyins

Losss Here this is what he says and see he has had a huge buy in loss.So take it for what it's worth.:icon_sunn :icon_sunn :icon_sunn :icon_sunn

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
take note of the stakes that leatherass is playing. I agree that when playing higher limits you need much more than 20 buy-ins but at these stakes 20BIs is enough especially if youre beating the current limit that you're at

ALL IN CLUBS

ALL IN CLUBS

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, your totally right. Move up as soon as possible go for it. Good luck win lots. 20 BIns is more than enough to succeed. No need wasting time at .01-.02. Have fun:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ALL IN CLUBS

ALL IN CLUBS

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fx , I just attached his qoutes from another thread he has.It wasn't Dusty telling you this..sorry for wrong impression.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dusty's recommendation of 100 BIs is for those playing poker for a living. Since no one plays 2nl for a living is really doesn't apply. One good thing you got going for you, All In Clubs, is that you're rolled to skip 5nl entirely.

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
IMO....

2NL = N/A
5NL = 15BI
10NL = 20BI
25NL = 30BI
50NL = 40BI

Or something along those lines :)

F

fx20736

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I took the day off from Poker and really enjoyed the break. I got through a huge chunk of Poker Math that Matters. This morning I had no burning desire to play but sat down anyway. I lost 4 1/2 BI in about an hour, KK to a set of Queens, QQ to a set of 7's, Set of 5's to a set of Jacks, two pair to a straight and 2nd nut flush to a Full House. I misplayed one hand , UTG limped who had a VPIP around 30, I raised to 4 1/2 BB form LP with 99 and he called. Flop came down 876. He checked, I raised 2/3 pot, he called. He checked the turn which was a blank, I checked behind. River was a blank and he shoved. I see this move all the time and it is often A high or a busted straight or maybe he had A8. Anyway I called and he had QQ. Very strange line he took; limp/ call, check, shove.

So including yesterday's brief AM session I am down 8 BI in 24 hours but am still up 20 BI for the 1st 9 days of November, Right now I feel like I am a little stuck. I have 52 BI for 2nl but am a little gunshy and would really like a bigger cushion to move up. I think I have done pretty well at extracting the fat value from the bad 2nl players so now I really need to focus on getting the thin value. I think one of the things about selecting the loosest tables with the worst players is that variance is probably a little higher as their range is so wide that sometimes I push hard and run into the very top of their range. I'm thinkiing about doing a session or two by picking the nittiest tables and seeing if I can start putting opponents on a range of hands and figuring out my equity against. I think this is why I am not burning to play right now, I'd rather being playing with Pokerstove or calculating SPR's.

Last edited:
WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I took the day off from Poker and really enjoyed the break. I got through a huge chunk of Poker Math that Matters. This morning I had no burning desire to play but sat down anyway. I lost 4 1/2 BI in about an hour, KK to a set of Queens, QQ to a set of 7's, Set of 5's to a set of Jacks, two pair to a straight and 2nd nut flush to a Full House. I misplayed one hand , UTG limped who had a VPIP around 30, I raised to 4 1/2 BB form LP with 99 and he called. Flop came down 876. He checked, I raised 2/3 pot, he called. He checked the turn which was a blank, I checked behind. River was a blank and he shoved. I see this move all the time and it is often A high or a busted straight or maybe he had A8. Anyway I called and he had QQ. Very strange line he took; limp/ call, check, shove.

So including yesterday's brief AM session I am down 8 BI in 24 hours but am still up 20 BI for the 1st 9 days of November, Right now I feel like I am a little stuck. I have 52 BI for 2nl but am a little gunshy and would really like a bigger cushion to move up. I think I have done pretty well at extracting the fat value from the bad 2nl players so now I really need to focus on getting the thin value. I think one of the things about selecting the loosest tables with the worst players is that variance is probably a little higher as their range is so wide that sometimes I push hard and run into the very top of their range. I'm thinkiing about doing a session or two by picking the nittiest tables and seeing if I can start putting opponents on a range of hands and figuring out my equity against. I think this is why I am not burning to play right now, I'd rather being playing with Pokerstove or calculating SPR's.

Fat value alone will get you a lot further than 2nl. I had a 100/87 guy at my 100nl table last night.

F

fx20736

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fat value alone will get you a lot further than 2nl. I had a 100/87 guy at my 100nl table last night.

yeah, I saw your reply to November Cash where you had AA vs 92 or something?

Help me through my decision making tree. I'm beating 2NL for about 5nl over 35k or so. I want to focus on making correct assumptions and the best decisions. If the play @ 2nl and 5nl are virtually the same and I am beating it for 5nl, wouldn't it make sense to keep working on my game until I feel that my confidence, hand reading and equity calcualtions are stronger? My fear is that since I have been pretty hot, I'd hate to move up and have the variance floor drop out and I lose half my hard earned BR in a short time.

:)

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is that 5bbs or BBs? Either way move up. You're going to beat 5nl for about the same rate. The play is the same. Many of the players are the same. So you have what ~21 BIs for 5nl right? So take a shot and drop back down if you lose say 4 BIs. No harm done. You'll still have ~45 BIs for 2nl. That's the WORST that can happen. Now then you could move up win at your current rate, pay a lesser percentage to rake, and earn more actual $$ at the table and in RB. That's the upside.

F

fx20736

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is that 5bbs or BBs? Either way move up. You're going to beat 5nl for about the same rate. The play is the same. Many of the players are the same. So you have what ~21 BIs for 5nl right? So take a shot and drop back down if you lose say 4 BIs. No harm done. You'll still have ~45 BIs for 2nl. That's the WORST that can happen. Now then you could move up win at your current rate, pay a lesser percentage to rake, and earn more actual $$ at the table and in RB. That's the upside.

I just looked; my winrate for 40,543 hands is 4.03 BB or 8.06bb/ 100 hands.

You convinced me. I think I'll take a shot at 5nl. I think I will start with 6 tables. If I drop 4 BI I would still have 40 BI for 2nl.

Do think I should target some tighter tables to try and sharpen my skills???

Attachments

• Details1108.jpg
    Details1108.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 82
WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd stick with what has worked so far. Remember bad players = more mistakes = money.

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely stay with the looser tables. Tight tables get boring and youll get little to no action when you have a hands.

billdogg

billdogg

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Alright, I'm not too proud. I have done the same thing. I played about 45K hands at 5NL 6 max. For about 35K hands I was a break even player, then the last 10K hands just went south. Suckout after suckout took my BR from ~125 to 50. I know variance, but my problem I guess is that I don't get enough value for my good hands to make up for the times I get sucked out on. I grind out for a while showing a decent profit, then comes 1 hand to completely take everything away. So frustrating! These are the exact kinda hands that are just killing me for the last month. I know a raise on this flop could be a set, but my read was a fish that would get it in with Qx, so I had to go with it.

Full Tilt - $0.02 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

BTN: $2.39
SB: $1.41
BB: $1.68
Hero (UTG): $3.16
CO: $1.68

SB posts SB $0.01, BB posts BB $0.02

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero has A A

Hero raises to $0.10, CO calls $0.10, fold, fold, fold

Flop: ($0.23, 2 players) 8 4 Q
Hero bets $0.18, CO raises to $0.77, Hero raises to $3.06 and is all-in, CO calls $0.81 and is all-in

Turn: ($3.39, 2 players) Q

River: ($3.39, 2 players) 3

Hero shows A A (Two Pair, Aces and Queens) (PreFlop 85%, Flop 80%, Turn 5%)
CO shows Q 9 (Three of a Kind, Queens) (PreFlop 15%, Flop 20%, Turn 95%)
CO wins $3.17

I'm thinking I really need to take a break or something. I have read about everything I can find, and I think I apply it good. My one problem I have is that I know I play a little too passively. Something in the back of my head always tells me something like this is going to happen.

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Something in the back of my head always tells me something like this is going to happen.

Why does it matter? You got it in as a 80% favourite, just keep doing that. :)

F

fx20736

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I recently passed the 100k hand mark at 2nl. I think I have earned some good poker lessons in the past 2 months; patience, emotional discipline, faith in EV, positional awareness, picking spots to c-bet, adjusting 3 betting ranges vs different opponents, playing Pocket Queens & Jacks, building pots with big hands, when to set mine and when not to,etc. I had a rough stretch recently but am within 6 buy-ins of my peak winnings at 2nl. My BR is at $ 101 which includes 5BI lost last month trying to move up to 5nl. Once my BR hits $ 135 again I'll take my next shot at 5nl.

Attachments

• 2-1204.jpg
    2-1204.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 27
  • 2-1204d.jpg
    2-1204d.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 27
ALL IN CLUBS

ALL IN CLUBS

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Glad to see you hit the 100,000 hands mark. Good luck at the .05 games when you get there ,should be soon the way your graph looks :) :) :)