Basic question about adjustments

B

Beasty2k

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all,

Intuitively, I may give opponents too much credit when I try to adjust by them re-adjusting immediately. Kind of hard to explain, but let me give an example.

Say we are trying to steal blinds from BTN quite a bit but unkown BB keeps 3-betting us as a re-steal, forcing us to fold or marginal hands. Say this happens 3 orbits in a row, and fourth time we bet A9o and get raised from same BB. He should clearly be expecting us to have a semi-weak holding here again, and he 3-bets again. If we 4-bet bluff (with blockers) which may be a decent play, my gut tells me he will immediately assume that we are doing just this (villain thinks "aha he is annoyed with me and trying to play back", which is a correct assumption) - and 5-bet shove on us, forcing us to fold again but losing even more.

I realize the correct approach to a habitual re-stealer as above would be to tighten up and stop stealing, but please comment the above situation first - do you take villain's approach to this yourselves? Or will people mostly feel "the pot is getting too big, I just fold."

And if we, correctly, stop stealing and tighten up, I always assume he will notice that we suddenly are stealing only once every 3-4 orbits or less and therefore he can safely fold or only play back with premiums.

Another example could be the other way around - we are in BB and BTN steals a lot. We decide to play back as a bluff, and he 4-bets (villain thinks "he is annoyed that I have stolen so much". Obviously, he is right. And we end up with the decision to shove or fold here. Do people always think this way?

What about the crazy LAG to the right of us opening every pot, say we finally 3-bet from BTN. What is his mindset here? My gut tells me he thinks "now he's annoyed, I will 4-bet him!".

Am I giving villain too much credit on the "immediate re-adjustment"? When I first started playing I did this myself a lot - like 4-betting from BTN when BB 3-bet for the first time, as I simply assumed the BB was just getting annoyed. Am I completely on the wrong track?

How do you cope with a sudden (first time) 3-bet from the blinds from your steal, do you always fold your rags? 4-bet bluff? Call to outplay post in position? It could be him just getting annoyed with your steals and attempting a re-steal with air.