Bankroll management

spore

spore

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay so today I found half of my bankroll gone. Playing way outside of my BR, I know. I initially deposited $40 into stars. Hovering around even for quite a while. Today I played in the $10+1 CC event, and two single-table $5+.50 SnG's.

[SKIP ALL THIS IF YOU JUST WANT TO READ MY BR QUESTION]
Result? Busted out in all three. AT vs. KT (all-in preflop), 99 flopped set, all-in on the turn, busted by straight on the river, KQ v JJ, didn't improve.

Okay so that cut my bankroll over half. My own damn fault for playing outside of my bankroll. Luckily, in a fit of... i'm going to make it all back or go broke, I went to a .10/.25 table with my 15.58 or whatever it was and played some semi-loose agressive poker. I was bouncing back and forth between ~$15 and ~$20 when I happened upon AQs in early position. Player to my right min-raised, I took it to $1, and button called. Flop comes out 4AA with two spades. First-in bets like $1.50, I raise to $4, button raises to 6, first-in folds, i re-raise to 9 button takes it to 12 or something, and i called.. meant to re-raise all in but clicked call on accident.. next card is a blank. I push all in right away get a call.... I'm slightly worried about AK, but what the heck. Anyway he has A5... and my hand holds up and I'm back to ~$35.

[RESUME READING]
Okay, so now my question is this. At around $40 in my account what kind of bankroll strategy should I adopt? I do a heck of a lot better at the .05/.10+ tables. I used to use the 5% strategy with some decent results, but then i had like $75 to start out with. Is it even worth trying to build a BR from $40? The thing is at $40, 5% is $2. That is the .01/.02 table. Well, the .01/.02 tables at stars allow $5 to be brought to the table.. so you have lots of people playing really crazy (donk-o sitty), and I usually don't do very good. Possibly the blinds have the same effect on me.. on well ten cents aint nothin' so i call when i know i shouldn't.

Okay some specific questions.
1) is $40 enough to start a BR on stars?
2) what tables should i be playing? .01/.02 NL,PL or something LIMIT?
3) should i play any SnG's yet? if not, what SnG's should I play and at what point?
4) should i multi-table?
5) should I use a strong TAG strategy or something different?
6) anything else?

Anywho, if anyone can give me some advice on building a roll from ~$40 on stars that would be sweet.

=spore FTW!

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
0.01/0.02 NL is ok for your br-- even at $2 you have 100bb in front of you, so you shouldn't feel like you are buying in really short at all. Also, a lot of sites have $1 + 0.10 SNGs, which would be an excellent choice.

spore

spore

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh, I know i'm not buying in short at a $.01/$.02 NL table with $2. The thing is the table allows $5 to be brought (ie 500BB). As a result a lot of people throw their stacks around like it's nothing. Hmm, I guess I should just be playing solid TAG and take advantage of that rather than trying to play "with" them.

M

mischman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay so today I found half of my bankroll gone. Playing way outside of my BR, I know. I initially deposited $40 into stars. Hovering around even for quite a while. Today I played in the $10+1 CC event, and two single-table $5+.50 SnG's.

[SKIP ALL THIS IF YOU JUST WANT TO READ MY BR QUESTION]
Result? Busted out in all three. AT vs. KT (all-in preflop), 99 flopped set, all-in on the turn, busted by straight on the river, KQ v JJ, didn't improve.

Okay so that cut my bankroll over half. My own damn fault for playing outside of my bankroll. Luckily, in a fit of... i'm going to make it all back or go broke, I went to a .10/.25 table with my 15.58 or whatever it was and played some semi-loose agressive poker. I was bouncing back and forth between ~$15 and ~$20 when I happened upon AQs in early position. Player to my right min-raised, I took it to $1, and button called. Flop comes out 4AA with two spades. First-in bets like $1.50, I raise to $4, button raises to 6, first-in folds, i re-raise to 9 button takes it to 12 or something, and i called.. meant to re-raise all in but clicked call on accident.. next card is a blank. I push all in right away get a call.... I'm slightly worried about AK, but what the heck. Anyway he has A5... and my hand holds up and I'm back to ~$35.

[RESUME READING]

I would just like to say people should use this a lot more often. <3 Spore

spore

spore

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol, well i like to be considerate.. not everyone wants to read the BB stories and such :p

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management