auto-topup: good idea or disaster?

B

buttgirl

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most sites offer a feature where, if your stack goes below a certain amount, it gets automatically topped up from your site roll. I can see where this would be an advantage for juicy all ins, but doesn't it make keeping track of session wins and losses difficult? What do other people think of this feature?

buttgirl

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I always have auto topup activated (set at 100BB) at a NL cash table.

We want to have the chance to get the maximum ammount into the pot if appropriate.

If you have a tracking software like HEM or PT3 your session stats will be saved and if you adjust the HUD popup they will be displayed, too.

Before I had HEM I had to take notes myself which sucked - but playing cash without a tracker sucks anyway:eek:.

thepokerkid123

thepokerkid123

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Set it to 100bb and never look back.

It will increase your winrate.

dantheman91

dantheman91

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would recommend it. The only time you need to be careful is when you're tilting. I tend to lose more money if I auto-topup when I lose a few big pots in a row.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Switch it on. Dont ever enter a hand in a 100bb game without 100bb.

Get HEM or PT3, preferably HEM.

This will not only keep track of your sessions but also let you begin to analyse how you are playing.

bredstik

bredstik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agreed, I think it's good to take advantage of this feature. Definitely be sure to still keep track of your wins/losses though - one of the methods mentioned above should do the trick.

-Phil Ivey27

-Phil Ivey27

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally use this feature as well. I agree without a tracking system it's harder to keep track of your winnings in that particular session, but it's a helpful thing for those who consistently want to have the big stack at the table and not dwindle down if losing.

pfb8888

pfb8888

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nothing worse than losing a hand .... except losing a hand and being shortstacked on the next hand and getting aa or kk.......

....or missing a hand or blinds because you cant rebuy fast enuf...

B

buttgirl

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol people seem to be unanimous. Auto-topup, here I come!

buttgirl

IcyBlueAce

IcyBlueAce

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Focus on playing your best game, and track gains/losses per complete session, not per hand.

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
auto-top off is a gift from the poker gods. I can't tell you how many times i've lost a big pot and then made it all back because i stacked someone with 100bbs within the next couple hands.

C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all...

buttgirl? ;) Really? Heh heheh. Hehe.

Here's my take. And it's not even about win-rates or.. well it is... but it more result oriented than that. Cuz i roll all results oriented in my game. Woo Hoo! ( I might be slightly drunk)...

Back to the point.

The main reason I like to keep a big stack at the table (aside from I prefer deep play to shallow or even 100bb play cause I am loose and stupid WOO ... wait off track again...)

There is ONE THING worse than getting your stack in the middle when you are are 92/8 just to see your enemy hit his 2 outer on the river.

The only thing worse is:

Getting NEARLY all your stack in the middle when you are are 92/8 just to see your enemy hit his 2 outer on the river. And THEN being dealt AA when you are sitting there still stunned and realizing you are now holding the nuts and have a whopping 4BB behind. ;)

Play enough poker without making sure you have a full stack... and I guarantee it will happen.

B

buttgirl

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Congrats. You're the first member here to make fun of my name.

I'm now totally sold on auto-topup. And I'm using it.

buttgirl

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Congrats. You're the first member here to make fun of my name out loud.
FYP;)
The only time I found it hard to deal with was when I first started multi-tabling, I was running 4 tables and do not use any pt3 or hem so found it really hard to keep track and had to turn it off so I could auto top to keep track. Good luck.

et1961

et1961

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
never heard of it.

I have been playing poker on line for a few years and never heard of auto topup. I suppose this is for playing mainly cash games. I play alot on FT or PS. Do these sites have that?

maybe I never knew this,because I play a lot of tourneys and not cash games. But I will look for this option for my cash games. Thanks for the info.

brank

brank

Back in!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ya, everyone has said it already.

if you dont have PT3 or HEM just make a note of what your BR balance is at the beginning of every session and then when your done see where your at. its best to wait till the end of a session so you just play your game and dont worry bout the results. although its very hard to do and i still find myself keeping tabs of where im at(and i even have PT3). one day ill get over it....

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
I have been playing poker on line for a few years and never heard of auto topup. I suppose this is for playing mainly cash games. I play alot on FT or PS. Do these sites have that?

maybe I never knew this,because I play a lot of tourneys and not cash games. But I will look for this option for my cash games. Thanks for the info.
Yes it is a cash games tool, it would be nice to have it in tourneys for say the first 10 hands.....lol.. then you could try and suckout on the all in monkeys.:eek:

A

alvinpe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ya, everyone has said it already.

if you dont have PT3 or HEM just make a note of what your BR balance is at the beginning of every session and then when your done see where your at. its best to wait till the end of a session so you just play your game and dont worry bout the results. although its very hard to do and i still find myself keeping tabs of where im at(and i even have PT3). one day ill get over it....

Same here. I cant control myself to stop tabbing on my PT3 to see if im winning. :p

J

Jh_

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
of course!! TOP-UP
heres why...
would u like to have aces with 200$ or 175$?
:) it is recommended all the time.