Am I good enough to COMFORTABLY beat 10NL?

D

Deceitful_Frank

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Video is public but youtube isnt playing ball! Go to youtube and ADD the following to the web address bar:

watch?v=fgHaESEfYg8

pokerman27

pokerman27

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wasn't expecting an answer, this wasn't a test. I was just rambling away and wanted you to give the question some thought.

If you think it, a poker BR for most people isn't going to be all the money they have, or could have available to them to play poker. I could go to the bank for instance and drop a couple k into my PS account without it impacting on me to badly (well not in the immediate term). Perhaps I could just about beat 25NL or break even at 50NL and reap the cash bonuses, I don't know.

Perhaps this discussion would be better elsewhere, I thought there might be a standard deviation thread somewhere.

Yeah, i see what you're saying - I wasn't trying to be difficult. My point is that if we're gonna have a BR and practice BRM management we need to be disciplined. If I thought I'd be dealt aces every hand then I'd withdraw all the money I had and play at the highest limits. But that ain't gonna happen so we just play with our bankrolls and within the limits we set ourselves.

D

Deceitful_Frank

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I was trying to get across the idea that what consitutes "proper BRM" for one player with one style of play and one degree of emotional tolerance and confidence in his game could and probably is entirely unsuitable for another.

A FR multitabling nit making a small but steady profit playing a low variance style is going to need a completely different BRM plan to a higher stakes LAG playing 4 tables riding the 6-max rollercoaster. You also need to take in to account there experience and ability to rationalise variance.

If they both blindly follow this 5% rule the FR guy will probably be wasting time when he could be playing higher and the LAG's stress levels could become a major health concern!

About 2000 hands ago I found myself playing 10NL 6-max with an approx $150 BR and a horrific string of beats. It was testing but I felt I had been playing pretty well considering and trusted that the numbers would even out in the end. Of course the decision to stick with it payed off on this occasion, plus I was reasured by the knowledge that even had I gone broke, 10NL is where I should be and reloading wouldn't have been beyond my means.

Last edited: