Always go 9-max instead of 6/5-max or less

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
not sure if its still the same since stars cut the rewards right back but 2nl and 5nl FR would have a range of players , once you get to 10nl it was pretty much a rakeback grinding nitfest with regs just swapping coolers.
Keith_MM hit the nail on the head.

A friend of mine was crushing 5nl full ring earlier in the year and showed me his DB, he was running 11/9 with a 2% 3bet. A key thing he mentioned is that the only time a reg will stack another reg is set over set, and top pair is practically a worthless hand in FR.

Drowy

Drowy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i prefer 9 max as it is for most tournaments aswell and if you happen to get monsters theres more likely that someone has something to call with

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i prefer 9 max as it is for most tournaments aswell and if you happen to get monsters theres more likely that someone has something to call with

This logic is flawed because people open way tighter ranges in 9max cash and as a result people call opens with tighter ranges so it isn't "more likely that someone has something to call with"

Grinderella

Grinderella

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Instead of prison, criminals should be sentenced to play 1 million hands of 2nl full ring poker, guaranteed they won't offend after that experience!

Bravo! That'll learn em.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At least pokerstars the most firework ever happened in 2NL 9 max (2 years ago). Majority of players go to 2 categories: "preflop nits- post flop fish" and "super fish". The variance is huge too because you actually mostly have no idea or logic behind villain’s ranges (super nits can raise you AI on the flop with 2ndP forexample ;)) . Huge variance does not matter too much, because average win rate is so large that what you lose by luck in big pots you gain fast by skill (skill = not completely fish pre or post) in small to medium pots.

I don't agree with OP, not because he is not right against micro limits, but because what most players should do is to aim for learning fast, not making money fast, because you will anyways lose the money you make when you try to ladder up.

Last edited:
Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
I'm embarrassed for you reading your OP to be completely honest. Nobody likes playing 9 max cash games other than super nits like yourself. If you are a good post flop player, you want to be playing a lot of hands post flop. You wouldn't want to wait around for absolute nuts before entering a pot. Your whole concept of "free folding" makes 0 sense. There are 3 extra hands in a cycle... big whoop. I would honestly rather watch paint dry than be a 9 max nitfest reg.

To advise people to only play 9 max is awful advice and I hope nobody reading this thread listens to it.

How dare you be disrespectful towards one of the best cash game players on Earth. (not my description)

V V V V

Rational Madman said:
I am one of the best cash game players on Earth.

https://www.cardschat.com/members/rational-madman/

Give me 6 Max anytime, 9 Max is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo boring.
Instead of prison, criminals should be sentenced to play 1 million hands of 2nl full ring poker, guaranteed they won't offend after that experience!

Even if they do offend they could plead insanity as a defence.

I wouldn't even j-walk if I knew there was a chance I would be sentenced to that

I'd commit suicide if caught jay walking.

This logic is flawed because people open way tighter ranges in 9max cash and as a result people call opens with tighter ranges so it isn't "more likely that someone has something to call with"

And here's me thinking I had no clue about poker as I am not one of the greatest players on the Earth, but now I see that your thoughts are the same as mine there may be a chance for me yet.

Just another stupid thread like the rest of his.

:top:

Last edited:
Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rational madman, I issued an open challenge to you for HU cash. You said it yourself, you are one of the best cash game players in the world, so you have nothing to worry about playing an MTT donk loser like myself. Right?????

D

davidhoyle107

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rational madman, I issued an open challenge to you for HU cash. You said it yourself, you are one of the best cash game players in the world, so you have nothing to worry about playing an MTT donk loser like myself. Right?????

This is interesting.

D

davidhoyle107

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I honestly think both are profitable. 9 max people are tighter. You have to get involved in less hands, and finding someone who will commit to a bad hand is near impossible. 6 max requires looser play due to higher blind cost. This creates a more loose player, and it becomes easier to trap people if you're good.

Scott419

Scott419

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good post. I feel.the same way mostly. No reason at all to play short handed in a cash game. For that exact reason alone. See way more hands for free. Online is the only place I don't mind playing short handed or 6 max, but then also I'm playing smaller limits to where I'm comfortable and can afford to play more hands and go through/fold blinds because of hand and position. Ex: normally play 1-2 cash game live, but I don't wanna play 6 handed or less at 1-2 which is normally 8-10$ to see a flop. As to I would play .25/.50 cash game online. And be ok folding my blinds often to basic raises with no hand and out of pos.

D

davidhoyle107

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good post. I feel.the same way mostly. No reason at all to play short handed in a cash game. For that exact reason alone. See way more hands for free. Online is the only place I don't mind playing short handed or 6 max, but then also I'm playing smaller limits to where I'm comfortable and can afford to play more hands and go through/fold blinds because of hand and position. Ex: normally play 1-2 cash game live, but I don't wanna play 6 handed or less at 1-2 which is normally 8-10$ to see a flop. As to I would play .25/.50 cash game online. And be ok folding my blinds often to basic raises with no hand and out of pos.

I disagree with this logic. Yes, you're correct you get to see more hands at a cheaper price in 9 max, but so does everyone else. That means they'll be playing tighter than 6 max players, meaning you also get less chances to profit. 6 max people are looser. That means they'll make more mistakes a skilled player can profit off. Ranges become a lot more important. Playing a 15% vpip will get you killed in 6 max.