ALL-IN PRE-FLOP OR NOT?

K

KADARILLA

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The All-In move pre-flop is undoubtedly a very powerful move in NLHE. But, I think it is overly abused. It is necessary for the short stack (to pick a hand, and go for it), But, for the chip leaders and good chip stacks, I feel it is done too often. Case-in-point: If you have AA,KK...Don't you want a caller? Anything else, you're risking your tournament life. (I play mostly tournaments). I see that it works with bad hands like J3o,92o..ect. they get called with AK or 77 or similar and hit the J or 9 and win the pot. But every time I try it, even with a good hand..QQ,JJ,AKs..ect, I go against AA,KK or the example above. I am not a fan of the All-In, and I felt that lesser players try to steal pots with the All-in move (pre-flop) If they get called they can suck out if not they win the pot. Great in theory, but it seems to work. I have been back and forth on this and always trying to improve my game. The kicker to this was: I was watching a very high ranked On-line player and I was watching him do it, time and time again. And finally got to see his hole cards,because no one would call him, He had A7o! I was amazed A7o! And he was under-the-gun! I couldn't believe it. He got 2 callers the major short stack and KK. Needless to say he caught an A on the river for the pot and about 8th place in a field of thousands. Great! Right? I thought so. Then he did it again a few hands later and got crippled and went out the next hand. I admire this player thinking he was a hero one minute and a dumb ass the next. Any thoughts? All-In pre-flop or not? I don't usually have the nerves for it.
What do you think?
:confused:
Thanx,
KADARILLA

Black_Fox

Black_Fox

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I presume you are talking about Tournament play here?

Yes? Then the answer is simple.

Early in the tournament - only really AA/KK (maybe AKs)...(IF SOMEONE PUTS YOU ALL IN THAT IS)

Middle - As the blinds begin to rise, adjust your play accordingly.

Late - Nows the time to really hone your positional play. Stealing blinds and antes are a must at this late stage, and your reading abilities will become critical.

As I said, it all depends on your stack, your opponents and where you are in relation to everyone else chip-wise in the tournament.

BF