Aha!

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just realized something with regards to my tourney vrs my cash game play.

I do much better at tourneys; was getting nowhere at the micro cash levels so I played a 45 player SnG, won, played a 10 player SnG, won.

I've been trying to figure out what the differences are that cause me to win more at the tourneys when I realized that I play different.

In a tourney, I survive, especially in the early rounds, trying to win a hand now and then but doing a lot of folding preflop and later, laying down if I think I have a 60-40 chance of winning, in order to stay alive.

But at cash games, I call the river far too often, even when I think I have a 40-60 or less chance of winning resulting in a few, but too many, big losses. I'm not thinking about survival and I'm too anxious to see what the other guy has. If I can fold more often and earlier when I think I'm likely losing and not worry as much about appearing weak, then I can cut down on my big losing hands and let my big winning hands propel the bankroll.

Just thought I'd pass that thought along, in case anyone else is in a similar situation. Any other thoughts from people who find they play better at tourneys than ring games?

A

alan1983

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im like that. I do very well at sitngos, and just placed 5th at my 1st paid tourney and did well on previous tourney freerolls.

But my cash game is awful. Was good the first few times i played, because it was after my 1st deposit and i was being very careful.

But now im way too loose preflop, and call along too much postflop. I think its because in a sng or tourney, when you fold semi-decent hands, youre getting closer to your target. In cash games theres no target like that, you have to win hands, so i guess when youre inexperienced at them you tend to call too often. Plus in tourneys if you get put allin your out. In cash games you can reload. Youll think "ill call and see what hes got then get him next time". Often there wont be a next time lol.

Im laying off cash games for a while.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You may have a point there; that "target" or goal may be helping me fold risky hands, and it may be helping me be more patient waiting for decent hands.

I need to get Poker Tracker or something working now that I'm also playing on pokerstars. I couldn't get it to work with Costadelpoker hands.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well the biggest differences are 1) that you're faced with rising blinds, and hence varying Ms throughout a tourney, and 2) the fact that in cash games, you are supposed to play any edge you have (ie you would always take a PP vs overcards race in a cash game) while in tourneys you should be waiting for much bigger edges.

I have had little experience in cash games, but from what I've played, I do MUCH better in tournies.

ps I highly recommend getting PT - it's more useful for cash games, but is still great for SnGs and MTTs. I track everything I play with it.

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
0000493557.jpg
AH-A !!!