AA, KK, QQ, JJ, butwhat is better AKs or 1010?

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK. Higher probability of success.

This isn't the case if all the money goes in preflop TT is a slight favourite and that is in a scenario where all five community cards are seen.Other times when it goes postflop TT has a huge edge as AK misses the flop around 70% of the time and doesn't get to see turns and/or rivers.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion both combinations deserve respect.
But I would be pre-flop with AK showed aggression, but 10-10 would not play very aggressively. Seth mining can be unsuccessful, even with 10-10

W

wampole

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In some ways you are better off with a pair of 2's. If you hit your set you are much more likely to get paid. If an a or k hits you are behind with 2's 10's or even q's. Much less difficult to get off a bottom pair of 2's than a middle pair of 10's or q's.

Empress

Empress

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is more forgiving to play multiway. Playing TT, you can only play it multi-way for mining sets, because the majority of each of your opponents ranges will include at least an AKQ or J. Playing heads up you play both hands very similar to each other, playing aggressively as to get your opponents to fold before they hit. Just gotta know when to slow down.

Agreed. A and K are both higher and if you hit on either one you're already ahead.

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I love AK suited more

I love AK suited more. Firstly, there are two overcards, in the second there is a possibility that you will collect a straight, and in the third there is a possibility that you will collect a flush. In pocket pairs below JJ, you can only hope that you get a repeat on the flop, which is a very small probability, with only 2 outs in the entire deck of cards. I generally try to make only a call in middle and small pairs, and make a pass if someone raises.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love AK suited more. Firstly, there are two overcards, in the second there is a possibility that you will collect a straight, and in the third there is a possibility that you will collect a flush. In pocket pairs below JJ, you can only hope that you get a repeat on the flop, which is a very small probability, with only 2 outs in the entire deck of cards. I generally try to make only a call in middle and small pairs, and make a pass if someone raises.
I like. competent judgment. I also prefer AK, with them I usually do not have problems in the drawings even without a position. I prefer to draw pairs from 1010 and above. The rest of the situation at the table and position.

fiddlesticks123

fiddlesticks123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with the people who have said they prefer TT against one opponent but AK multiway. With TT I'm looking to isolate but I don't mind if more than one person comes along when I have AK.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Tens are better than AK, but not by much.

T

Top Top

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
10-10 is a made hand but I am not sure it's better than A-K suited which is still a strong and a better hand that plays better on many levels and after flop I have seen players folding 10-10 and rarely folding A-K suited so in my opinion A-K should be better

M

Mikeloti13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like AK very much. You have much possibilities to hit the nuts. Tens do have an edge statistically preflop but in my opinion and through my playing history i would say that in 75% of hands when AK played lower pocket pairs AK came out as a winner.

TinkCzru

TinkCzru

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was watching the World Series the other day and a guy had 1010 and Antonio commented that about 70% of the time a face card comes... now I never knew that; but that being said I lean towards AKs. I’d value them equally personally.

Obviously it’s always better to have a pair but playing 10’s anywhere outside of mp or lp becomes very difficult if multiple callers are in the pot and a face card comes.

It’s a hand that I’d 3 bet on the button every so often to keep everyone honest more so maybe than AKs on the button if there was a raise in front.

It just depends on your personality as well

FIERROS

FIERROS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think apair of 10 10 pre flop is better then AK. AK are just high cards you could play them multiway but you still have to get good cards to win.

G

Gimpleton

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Not to sound like an ass, cos it's an interesting question, but a slightly flawed one methinks :p

Which hand is 'better' depends on a multitude of variables; position, 1st in, 3betting or cold calling etc. etc...

Obviously if we're purely talking a pre-flop, all in, heads up situation with TT vs AKs, you're better off holding TT as it's a slight favourite. And maybe that stands true for some players who take them to the flop with more betting to be done (good hand/bet/playstyle readers and whatnot).

But for me, I find middle pairs much more difficult to play post flop. Without a low board it's very easy to be pushed off the pot by heavy betting as we all know that people love to take broadways to the flop. So any picture card board is automatically a scary one. Similarly, with a low board, betting doesn't seem to achieve much as most worse hands will fold and any A/K/Q/J on the turn or river will bee your bonnet :rolleyes:

Whereas AK is a far easier hand to make decisions with (imo at least). If you hit, you hit fairly big, if you miss, you've still got the best unmade hand. You're not so afraid to barrel off a feeler or call certain bets as your 6 outs are strong ones and if you're feeling unsure it's an easy hand to let go of.

S

samgrizzle

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on how many chips I have and what position I am, but usually AK because there's more ways to play it.

belka2203

belka2203

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The program Equilab gave me such an answer. equity AK - 42.72% against 10 10 - 57.28%. Decide what's best. I play AK very badly and often lose blinds.

PokerDragon99

PokerDragon99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would go for AK, with 10/10 you can run in any big pair and loose.

With AK you will later have more potential.

A

AceKing725

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I concur

You literally stated you would rather have a PAIR OF 2's over AK, that is bad advice to give any player and I let them see the flaws in your logic. You can have your pocket 2's all day but the logic is flawed my man, their are more variables than just the raw pre-flop equity.

Right you are. There is a big difference between "both all in pre-flop", and actually playing through the streets. If you have 22, and don't hit a set, how do you respond to bets? Do you actually call with an underpair to the whole board? That's suicide.

- Ace