Ark Traveler

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A Different Kind of Tell
by George Epstein filed under Strategy on 2008-03-23
[Originally appeared in the March 17, 2008 issue of Poker Player]

Poker is a game of information. The more information you glean, the better decisions you'll make while playing a hand.

One viable form of information is called tells. One of my poker heroes, Mike Caro-The Mad Genius of Poker-has made tells a sort of science. In his Book of poker tells, Mike defines a tell as "any mannerism that helps you determine the secrets of an opponent's hand."

In The Greatest Book of Poker for WINNERS!, I explain that "a tell is a player's physical or emotional response to the cards dealt," analogous to Sir Isaac Newton's Third Law of Motion: "Every action is accompanied by an equal and opposite reaction."

I must explain that we are looking for involuntary tells- when the player reacts without intending to do so. These are spontaneous and uncontrolled. He doesn't realize that he has just given you a tell. But there are also voluntary tells. Those are likely to be feigned. The player is trying to deceive you. So involuntary tells are the ones we want to look for because they have more meaning and greater reliability.

A Unique Tell. I believe I have discovered a unique involuntary tell that I will share with you. What's more, this unique tell needs a name. So, I will offer a special prize-my Hold'em or Fold'em? booklet that describes the Hold'em Algorithm-to the person submitting the name I deem as best for this unique tell. E-mail your suggestion to geps222@msn.com. (Note: A while back I introduced the Hold'em Algorithm, then the Esther bluff, and, more recently, the concept of Quasi-Made hands. Now I am making my contribution to the science of tells as applied to the game of poker.

Here's how it works: Focus on one opponent who has called the blind. Take note of the expression on his face at the moment when another player raises. The facial expression you have just observed will fit into one of three categories:

(1) The Call-the-Raise tell if he calls the raise.

(2) The Fold-on-the Raise tell if he folds.

(3) The Oh-Yeah-I'll-Show-You tell if he reraises.

During the course of a session, you may be able to identify each of these three categories of tells for most of your opponents.

Later, while you are in a hand against an opponent, you can observe his facial expression as the pot is raised. It doesn't matter who makes the raise. Based on that information, now you know how he will react when the betting gets back to him. For example, if it's a Category 1, Call-the- Raise tell, you can expect him to stay in and call the raise; you don't have to worry that he will reraise-or fold. On the other hand, if it's a Category 2, Fold-on-the-Raise tell, and you have a made hand, like K-K, and you want to force players out, you can be assured that your reraise will cause him to fold. If it's a Category 3, Oh-Yeah-I'll-Show-You tell, you may be wise to fold a marginal drawing hand you might otherwise have played in a late position and save some chips.

This concept won't work with all players. Some are adept at maintaining a poker face. They have learned how to show no emotion whatsoever during the play of a hand. But even if only a few of your opponents display this unique tell, it's bound to be worth the trouble to look for it.

Caution: While he probably won't notice you staring at him because he's absorbed in the hand, you must be alert to observe it. The tell may last only a split second. So, readers, what's your opinion?

Poker Tells