A cautious approach with overpair/TPTK?

CerberAcE

CerberAcE

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play 10NL FR with 100bbs.

On every downswing where I lose buy ins it seems overpairs (namely AA) and sometimes TPTK were costing me the most. I realised I cannot overplay these hands! And since then my results apprear to have improved.

So if I hold TPTK or overpair and villian raises my flop bet and then shoves the turn im nearly always folding.

I have also started checking the turn alot if the villian calls the flop bet...this often induces a bluff or a bet on the river from a smaller pp or mid pair. This strategy clearly saves money when beat but also loses money when your ahead. Should I be betting every street on dry boards (no straights or flushes) and simply not worry about 2 pairs or sets?

Of course if im against a 80/40 donk or 70/0 fish ill try and extract more value from these holdings.

J

JMcCabe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The drier the board, the less you should be inclined to bet multiple streets for value, especially with TPTK or an overpair. This is because the range of hands that will be willing to commit 100BB or call multiple streets are heavily weighted towards hands that have you crushed.

W

watchtowel

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea I had the same problem and decided to only get two streets of value and checking the turn. My results have improved since. I wouldn't be folding an overpair to a shove a lot of the time though. Depends on the opponent though.