Can a 90/45 player be a smart one

W

Weisssound

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not a good strategy. But it's a great strategy to exploit.

Z

zdm

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for your thought. I just post a thread: https://www.cardschat.com/forum/cash-games-11/some-vpip-over-50-more-dangerous-269970/
At which I said this player will lose small win big.
I did not see your post when I write that. Now your post confirm my conclusion.
But I think these players are not as smart as you. The only same thing is you both exploit our greedy, trying to win big from the "fish"
I feel deperated playing with this guy. As I said in thet thread I am trying to stick to my plan from now on. Try to see what happens.
As the above poster said, you have to fight aggression with aggression. I can triple barrel bluff shove, so in a battle of wills your folding.

Maybe not the smartest way to go about it, I do it at times too. Not that high a VPIP though. Being super aggressive to get them to fold, while controlling your loses when they do not is very key. When I get into that mode of playing, if I am all in and going to showdown, I have a lot of equity or very close to the nuts already, if not the nuts. Your AK hand, bet you was very surprised when he popped up KK huh? I admit its donking a bit, and if he is like me, you thought he was a total donk. Which is only partially true, its donking, but with a plan, and thinking...

Stat wise you can tell by as you said, high VPIP, high 3 bet, high aggression. However, went to showdown will be low and won at showdown will be low with big wins, or high went to showdown is hgh and won at showdown will be small loses and big wins. Be careful when this is the case. If I am doing this, and I am pretty sure you raise with AA/KK/QQ, I am cold calling every time. I nail the flop, your stacking off. Sort of set mining with ATC. While if overs come I am trying to push you off your hand. I dont nail the flop, I am not getting all in with you. Then you see the trash, and reaffirms the donk image.

I have a thread from 6 years ago on here, the SS's are gone, a comment says I was running at 62% VPIP and I won 2/3rds of the pots, and my OP stated "Managed to lose little when losing while managing to get paid off every time I had it." Which, like I said, is a very key component to playing like that. Another where I was 1250 BB's deep on to two tables. I am sure that was a time I was playing wild as well. With a nitty image, everyone would just fold.

I do not do it often, there are times. :) It is fun, even though it can be the best way to lose cash fast.

Z

zdm

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what you said 2 pair or a set or queens vs his QT is very rare. most time you will meet is the situation I give. Facing them, you just can not give up aa which is the real bad thing. So after all you win small lose big.
But as I post the new link. From now on I will try to not pay them off, giving up everytime he bet big. very hard though.

I've come across this type of player from time to time. They can be annoying, especially if you are trying to target someone else and they keep 3 betting you.

Wet boards are your friend here. Why? because while they semibluff you can push them around if you can see that that's what they're doing. Take the q 10 hand you mentioned earlier. He had 8+3+2=13 outs, which is basically a coin flip vs that AA.

The question then becomes, would he do the same with worse than that? Dunno.

Another thing worth mention is that this type of player is wonderful to have around since they tend to pay you off more when you catch your hands. Since this guy is pretty fit or fold postflop, you will often catch this when he's semi-bluffing. Yes, he will have outs to beat you still (most likely) but you can make sure you have the edge. Take your Q10 vs AA example. After the flop he had 13 outs to beat the Aces, making it basically a coin flip. But what instead of aces the guy had 2 pair or a set or queens?

There's more variance with these guys, and it takes waiting for a proper hand to fight them with. If this one is smart enough to have a fit or fold strat then it might also be possible to read his postflop play to see when he doesn't have much (float), though that can be risky.

H

hulaaaa

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This tournament is not one indicator, but if so often puts 4bet and often call 3bet, so he just plays well post-flop. It is also necessary to consider, well, luck has not been canceled, but most likely that his opponents simply weak and overestimate the scope of his hands, because so many folds to c-bet//

W

wildice13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my thought is that this might not be that players sole 'strategy' but rather has noticed and adjusted to a very tight table. with the ability to control his losses when a player fights back.

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I carefully read your story and it seems to me that in this case your opponent was ju

I carefully read your story and it seems to me that in this case your opponent was just lucky. Each player has days when he is always lucky and almost once has a card with which he wins and there are days when a person constantly loses. I think your opponent just caught his lucky day and luck was completely on his side, and you, on the contrary, were not lucky that day. In such cases, you need to either change seats for another table, or take a break in the game, even for one or two days, I tell you from personal experience. Usually luck comes back in a couple of days, be it online poker or live poker.

Awrpze

Awrpze

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds like short term variance. Eventually they will lose their shirt and pay you off big time. Be patient, and look forward to the day they pay you off big time.

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It has already been answered, but "no." It is impossible for a 90/45 player to be a smart player. This sort of super-wide range has a major problem.

It is just too weak, on average, on most flops, turns, rivers, and showdowns. This sort of player is either going to have to give up too often before showdown or show up with hands that are too weak at showdown. Actually, with a range this wide, it will probably be some of both of these issues. If you have Equilab, give it a shot and see what happens. Put in a 90% range. And then deal a random hand. Do it a few times. With a turn and river.

I did it with Ah7d4c and of the 1056 combinations, only 496 could be considered having anything at all. That's any pair or better and any weak draw. Everything else is trash. If someone has to fold more than 50% of the time on the flop, you can bet/raise with virtual impunity. If they're not folding there, on a 9c turn, less than 54% of their hands have anything. So, if they aren't folding the flop too often, they will likely fold the turn too often. If they don't fold the turn, on a 3h river, less than 60% of their hands are a pair or better. And, that includes things like 53o (which should either fold or you probably beat). They probably should fold too much here or they are showing up with bad pairs too often.

On a Kd8dTc - Ks - Qh runout, their whole range has something the following amount of the time:
Flop: 58.9%
Turn: 56.9%
River: 54.4%

That's a little better, but not by much. On one of those streets they should be folding exploitably or they will be showing up at showdown far weaker than they should be.

You just can't make a winning strategy with a 90% range. You can go on a monster run and get super lucky, for a while. But, you can't be a long-term winner.

grumblbrumbl

grumblbrumbl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are players who at first glance seem to be fish. Their actions can not withstand any criticism. But in some moments their game bursts, and you can not help thinking, but does he fish? In poker, anything can happen ... and even a fish can become a shark

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
There are players who at first glance seem to be fish. Their actions can not withstand any criticism. But in some moments their game bursts, and you can not help thinking, but does he fish? In poker, anything can happen ... and even a fish can become a shark
I would have to disagree with this, especially 5-9 handed. There is a range of percentages around a certain point where a player can profit and exploit the errors other players are making. But, if you stray too far beyond that range, you just can't overcome the disadvantage you give yourself. An example would be someone playing 0% of their hands. They just can't win. They will never lose a big pot, but they can't ever win. On the other end, someone playing 100% of their hands is just dumping too much money on trash hands to compensate for their losses when they finally hit a big one.

90% is way too high. Heck, 40% is way too high (for total stats--it is fine for late position opens). There is no magic super skill post-flop that can overcome such a huge pre-flop leak.

BuzzKillington

BuzzKillington

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Obviously if I were forced to play a 90/45 game just for the heck for it I wouldn't be anyway near as bad as you would generally assume a player like that to be. But I would still nevertheless spew left and right. I have seen time and time again such players building a massive stack but more than 90% of the times they give it all away if they stick long enough.

So basically the point is 2 players with nearly the same basic stats can be vastly different skill wise.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Yup. I have seen it a few days ago. Also a very loose player who would limp in almost any pot. At some point they had 400BB with max buyin at 100BB. I lost a few hands with them, but eventually some other players got to his whole stack because of his willingness to play in any hand.

Vilgeoforc

Vilgeoforc

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to adapt. Play a good hand when he attacks. Follow tight style.

drolin

drolin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this is luckier than game style. :)