6-max Vs 9-max

AndyGamesPoker

AndyGamesPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They say that 9-max is a lower variance game than 6-max cash. I am not sure why but I personally experience far more variance at 9-max. Perhaps I have a bit of a looser playing style that goes better with 6-max ranges. Also, I feel like I am a player that relies on my opponents reads and I feel like they are easier to pay attention to with 5 other opponents compared to vs 8 others. Does anyone else feel this way? Or is this some kind of flawed logic? What are your opinions?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its entirely possible, that your style of play is better suited to 6-max. And in that case then just play 6-max. The only reason to force yourself to play full ring is, if you want to move into tournaments, because then most of the major MTTs still run in this format, or sometimes in 8-max.

B

booosteeer23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The 6-max game is much more interesting and profitable for money per hour, I think that 9-max will eventually die or become 8-max!

lattedank

lattedank

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
People say that 6 max has more variance because people play wider ranges. Ranges in 9 max are more narrow. Compare UTG ranges between 6 max and 9 max, it's a big difference.

D

DegenerateQuant

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
9max simply involves a lot more folding, because ranges are much tighter in earlier positions. More folding preflop = lower variance.

You'll typically only be playing the top 10-20% of hands from UTG-HJ, so the vast majority of the time you're just folding these seats. The more early position seats you add, the more you end up folding preflop, the lower your variance.

Hitmanshoot

Hitmanshoot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They say that 9-max is a lower variance game than 6-max cash. I am not sure why but I personally experience far more variance at 9-max. Perhaps I have a bit of a looser playing style that goes better with 6-max ranges. Also, I feel like I am a player that relies on my opponents reads and I feel like they are easier to pay attention to with 5 other opponents compared to vs 8 others. Does anyone else feel this way? Or is this some kind of flawed logic? What are your opinions?

Me too I dont like 9max or 10. With only other 5 player at the table I can manage my stack in better way. Differently in big tables there are many changes to have bad beats.

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

How to start playing preflop after 9 max tables? Can you use the same starting hands? (essno take into account that 6 max early positions 1 and 2 middle). At 9max, I play like this - standard raises on AQs +, QQ + from early, raises from middle pairs from the middle and from later. Also limp small pairs into a pot with multiple limpers, limp suited connectors from mid / late positions.

jesuisjesus

jesuisjesus

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer 6 max. For me, a more dynamic game is more interesting. More hands are played per hour. Open ranges are significantly different, thus making the game more attractive for fish.

4kingwildo

4kingwildo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
6max tournaments too aggressive for me, even without turbo blinds. and what is unpleasant for a beginner, your wrong decisions are too visible ) but some ppl multi table 6max, maannn hooow)))

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
Although, I do not play cash games, but I usually prefer tournaments with 9 players. This is the most convenient format for me.
Good luck.

Swat1197

Swat1197

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A lot of premium and a variety of ranges it's 9max
Not interesting to wait cards

K

kojuma

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate 9 max because it's slow, and also on 9max you should play much tighter, that's another reason I don't like it