55 on KKTr (SB vs. BB)

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys, how would you play this spot at different stakes (NL2 vs. NL25+)?

Hero in SB with 55: Raise 3bb
Villain in BB: Call

Flop: KKTr

Based on what I gathered from upswing poker common wisdom is bet small (33% PSB).

But my gut feeling is bet bigger. My reasoning is:

1) Our range has a slight nut advantage vs. the capped BB range.
2) A majority of the turn cards will require us to check-fold if villain calls our flop cbet, (and a small flop cbet makes it more likely villain will call)
3) Therefore I would rather just play my hand face up and bet a bit bigger to deny equity (and mix it with checking it down)

Thoughts?

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have a very advanced thought. I would bet big on the flop if I expect middle-handed fold equity since my second barrel on the line 6-6 + and J-J for this texture.
Greetings.

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have a very advanced thought. I would bet big on the flop if I expect middle-handed fold equity since my second barrel on the line 6-6 + and J-J for this texture.
Greetings.
Thanks for the feedback gustav :) Much appreciated. Are there any reasons you would use a smaller bet size here like 1/3?

A

abpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At the nl2, it probably matter less. If villian is calling, he's probably calling either way regardless. At the nl25, I'll officially say it depends (haha), but I would lean to the smaller size. I think a small bet or big bet should have same effect: if he has a hand he's looking to fold, he's gonna fold with both. If his hand hit that flop or hit a big draw, he's probably not going anywhere with either of those bets. And probably the small bet as well, since your plan is to check-fold the turn.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On such a paired flop, players bet almost every time with both a hit and a bluff, because in such flops you rarely get a hand. the thinking opponent is aware of these trends, and will often call to see your reaction on the turn. Also, a large c-bet on such a Board looks more like a weakness, and the subsequent check on the turn will only bring this up.

In addition, you were out of position and your SB raise may be perceived as an attempt to win the blind, rather than a strong hand. A check raise on the flop, or a check followed by a bet on the turn, I think will be more convincing.

But if the player is not thinking, then all this is useless, he will call both a small and a large bet, and also make an all-in on the river.:D

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the feedback gustav :) Much appreciated. Are there any reasons you would use a smaller bet size here like 1/3?

The standard cbet of 1/3 is very useful here. In principle because in this way, hero protects its entire opening range. I mean, I can bet small on the flop when I expect simple calls. And I can also do it when I look inductions of raise, by competent players and then I block the fold equity of their best draws. In this induction case, we expect increases from villains, when they have in their range different high-structure draws, which dominate other smaller draws. For example: AQ; AJ; A9 have the ability to trigger fold equity on the turn / river, compared to other minor combinations such as: 9T; JQ; JT; Q8, when no draw line is completed on the board. In addition, when we bet small on the flop, we also managed to inject value from marginal hands looking for cheap calls, because they do not block any combination of draws in this board. For example: 2-2; 3-3 and 4-4 for this texture.

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for the in depth explanations guys, I really apprecaite this :)