Belpster

Belpster

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just posted this in my challenge thread:
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/poker-goals-challenges-wins-46/zoom-grind-bankroll-challenge-491615

Playing 2NL 6 max zoom I had KK in the CO, I raised pre BB called flop came 34Q rainbow. On the flop BB checked, I bet, BB called... At this point I'm thinking any Qx is firmly in his range especially with a BB just calling pre. On the turn another Q. BB checked, I bet, he raises. Now going on my previous assumption I'm feeling like I'm definitely behind, Qx just hit trips at the minimum, maybe even a full house..
I had a binary decision now... push or fold(villian was the effective stack but only marginally)... I folded. It felt like the right thing to do and I'm happy(ish) with the decision. Long term I also think I would do the same again.

Any thoughts on how you would play it?

Here's the replay:
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/624VKtSMS

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop and flop are standard. When the Q pair on the turn, thats a very bad card for you, because on a dry flop like this QX is going to be pretty significant part of his range. On the flop I would plan for 3 bets to go in, or maybe even 4 if he raise me, and I think, he does that with a lot of QX. But on the turn I would change my plan to 2 bets, because I dont think, many worse hands are going to pay 3 bets, when I now lose to QX.

So when the board is this dry with no flushdraw and only a few straightdraws, I really like checking back the turn for pot control. My plan would then be for another bet to go in on the river. Either calling, if he bet, to catch some bluffs, or putting in a light bet for value, if he check to me. I think, this turn bet is a pretty big mistake, but as played I would also fold. The video below gives a good explanation of the concept of pot control and hand planning.

Belpster

Belpster

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really like checking back the turn for pot control.

Interesting, this is something I hadn't even considered. It is defiantly something I need to look into. I'm currently watching that series of videos and will wait until I get to that one rather than just rushing to the good stuff.

Thanks for the pointers:)

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I get the sense that a lot of beginners feel like they must be bet because they've heard that you have to be aggressive to win.

It is true that being aggressive is helpful in being profitable. But like everything in poker, it also depends on situation. Sometimes checking is quite ok too.

I used to be bet bet bet when I began playing too, but I have learned a check is fine too depending on the situation, such as yours.

A

angelamsmith05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just posted this in my challenge thread:
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/poker-goals-challenges-wins-46/zoom-grind-bankroll-challenge-491615

Playing 2NL 6 max zoom I had KK in the CO, I raised pre BB called flop came 34Q rainbow. On the flop BB checked, I bet, BB called... At this point I'm thinking any Qx is firmly in his range especially with a BB just calling pre. On the turn another Q. BB checked, I bet, he raises. Now going on my previous assumption I'm feeling like I'm definitely behind, Qx just hit trips at the minimum, maybe even a full house..
I had a binary decision now... push or fold(villian was the effective stack but only marginally)... I folded. It felt like the right thing to do and I'm happy(ish) with the decision. Long term I also think I would do the same again.

Any thoughts on how you would play it?

Here's the replay:
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/624VKtSMS

I would have folded as well.

Belpster

Belpster

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have started incorporating the check on the turn... I'm still getting used to the concept

Folding in Poker