Would you fold this straight?

TheJace

TheJace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
0.25/0.50 NLHE 9 handed:
I'm in the BB and get dealt 10s 9c and have $50. 3 players call pot=$2.00 and the flop comes Jh 8d 8s. SB checks and I bet $1.00 2 calls and SB folds pot=$5.00. Turn is 7c and I bet $2.00 then both players call pot=$11.00. River is Ks and I bet $3.75 then the player after me raises to $7.50 then the last player goes all-in for $46.10. Would you call or fold this? The other player only has $12.75 left.

:10s4: :9c4:
:jh4: :8d4: :8s4: :7c4: :ks4:

Last edited:
OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You're behind... what, 88, K8, J8, 78, KK, JJ and 77 right? Any reads?

Difficult one. How was the pot $5 before the flop if everybody limped, BTW? Assuming it actually was $5, a $1 bet on the flop isn't big enough to push anyone out of the hand.

Anyway... the way it's played, I think I'm calling. There's seven hands that are beating you, and while most are plausible (without any specific reads to the contrary) given the betting pattern, you'd have to think that an 8 would have raised you for value at some point before this, or would be putting in a more plausible river bet that wasn't as likely to scare you off. I'd be discounting something KK and JJ too, you'd think they would have raised pre-flop.

I'd be putting the all-in player on a hand like KJ

TheJace

TheJace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whoops, edited out the $5.00 bit.

TheJace

TheJace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone else have any opinions on this hand?

S

Seneku

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd say the last player got you beat for sure. I can't see him having a hand to go allin with after a raise and a reraise that isn't at least a FH.

In just about all the hands you posted here, you're underbetting the pot(25-50% of the pot). Is there a explaination for that?

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i'd fold unless the last player who shoved is mind blowingly awful. so sort of player dependent, but in general i would fold here because this should be quads or a full house almost every time. if he's any good at all this will literally never be less than a full house

re: putting him on KJ...? that hand makes no sense at all. why is he going to turn top two pair literally into a complete bluff here? it would be incredibly bad, as would trip 8s that didn't fill up (again, turning his hand into a bluff.. and i've been using this phrase a lot around the forums lately). basically i'd have to have a read that he was ridiculously bad at poker to call

rounder22

rounder22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would think this player has pocket kings unless he slowplayed which is a good possibly with smooth calls on flop and turn then allin on the river. Also this player could read your bets as weak and be trying to push you out of the pot but with no reads on this player I would fold.

X

xerx

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Here is 2 possible hands which can beat you. I think that right move is fold this straight and wait next hand. I have many times lose with this type straight for fullhaus and 4 of kind, so better don't test your opponent is he/she bluffing or not. If you fold you lose only small amount, which you putted into pot, but if you call and lose, then you have lost much-much more.

I know that good hand and possible nice pot is hard to fold, but this is not last hand, which you play. Just destroy your opponents when your next hand is enough secure.

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i'd fold unless the last player who shoved is mind blowingly awful. so sort of player dependent, but in general i would fold here because this should be quads or a full house almost every time. if he's any good at all this will literally never be less than a full house

re: putting him on KJ...? that hand makes no sense at all. why is he going to turn top two pair literally into a complete bluff here? it would be incredibly bad, as would trip 8s that didn't fill up (again, turning his hand into a bluff.. and i've been using this phrase a lot around the forums lately). basically i'd have to have a read that he was ridiculously bad at poker to call

I agree with this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Unless he is totally awful, why bluff $46 in a $22 pot on a paired board, 3-way pot? He has been seeing you bet every round and getting called from 2nd player. On the river you bet $3.75 and get raised this time by the 2nd player. Just a horrible spot to be bluffing or doing this with an 8 that didn't fill up. Basically everything combu said.

I can only add one more thing to his comments. If it's a bluff what makes it even worse is that 2nd player has only $12.75 left, so he shouldn't be folding to this bet after raising you on the river. This would be one of the worst bluffs I've ever seen if it is one.

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I fold here, too many hands beat you here in a limped pf pot. It's easily plausible that villain has 78, k8, j8 here and 77, 88. I'm not sure about KK and JJ as surely they would be raising pf.

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the last thing we need is one more person saying fold , fold.......
ok thats the last thing we need.

Lo-Dog

Lo-Dog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it's a bluff what makes it even worse is that 2nd player has only $12.75 left, so he shouldn't be folding to this bet after raising you on the river.

This ^^ is huge IMO. With only 12.75 left to win a $40 some dollar pot other guy is surely calling so ya it would be the worst bluff ever.

TheJace

TheJace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I thought about it long n hard and decided to fold... Then proceeded to puke as he turned over A8o when the other guy called and had KJo.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i'd fold unless the last player who shoved is mind blowingly awful.

well guess you learned that piece of information too late. hope you made a note that's a tard who overvalues. still, fold in this spot in the future

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I thought about it long n hard and decided to fold... Then proceeded to puke as he turned over A8o when the other guy called and had KJo.

:eek:

So I was right about somebody having KJ - but now I'm worried about how badly that reflects on my thought process :p

In all seriousness though, looking back at the betting it all makes some perverse sort of sense:

You lead at the pot on the flop, so they probably weren't putting you on a draw. All-in man probably though you had the other 8 (or better, just a J) and he was being oh-so-clever stringing you along with trips and a better kicker. JJ and J8 would've been the only hands he was worried about. By the time he's got that in his head, he was probably ignoring the 7 on the turn.

Of course from our perspective, that doesn't make a call any easier or more attractive...

Folding in Poker