Whats the Villain thinking?

Y

YouplaBoum

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
For the sake of this discussion, I will show the villain's hand and hide my hand. I would like to see what you think about the villain's rationale.
I was sitting at the table for about 30 mins, and villain had been pretty solid.

Table: .05-.1$ NLHE

Youplaboum 15$
Villain: 13$

Youplaboum on Cut off seat, Villain on SB.
Villains Hole cards: J10s

Youplaboum raise to .35$, Villain call.

Flop: J Q K raibow.
Villain bet the pot, Youpla call.

Turn 9 (non suitted to hole cards).
Villain is all in.

Now, the villain has made a low straight, which is a pretty good hand.
All in all, I couldnt figure out why he played it that way. I was thinking he might be afraid of AK and that the 10 might fall on the river. However, overbetting the pot this way seems quite odd to me. Assuming Youpla is a decent player (which we will agree for this argument =) ), he will only get called by a better hand, say broadway straight and lose his full buy in. On the other hand, if Youpla is holding AK, the chances that the 10 will fall are quite slim and I believe he should have value bet this instead. I just don't think that risking his full buy in the way he did on this hand was profitable.

What's your take on this?

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm thinking villain wants to represent the str8 here, he is guessing at your hand as you are guessing at his.

As bluffing opportunities go, this is one of the gems. Perhaps he thinks by shoving here, you will make the logic leap that he is bluffing, and make the mistake of calling with top pair or 2 pair.

Assuming villain is a sharp player, he knows that he has to mix it up, so he will occasionally check his huge hand, bet small, bet big, or in this case shove. Perhaps he trapped last orbit, and decides not to trap again.

His shove is interesting in that it forces you to seriously consider and ultimately assume that he has the 10. His true holding really is less important, than what you hold. If you have the A-10, which is really the only hand he fears, then he is toast and knows it if you call.

He has taken position out of the equation. I read it described as the 'right of first refusal'. His choices of check, bet, push or shove, are at least meant to put you to the test.

S

shark vs fish

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain did nothing wrong. Your preflop raise is a little bigger for A10. On the flop A10 would've been nuts, and he bet you just called? Doesn't fit. On turn he flopped a huge hand.. it's not nice.. it's HUGE considering that mostly you did NOT have A10, and therefore he has you beat any other way. You might've had AK, KQ suited, etc etc. His shove is totally the right play because any of those hands, you would have been extremely tempted to call. Unlike dj11 said above, villain was NOT trying to bluff. He knew he had you beat, and he knew your range of hands you'd most likely call to try and bust him.

Sounds like you did call, and not with A10, hence your post here... true?