What do you think of this play? (.10$/.25$ no limit)

winneronline

winneronline

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a tight image at the table. The other guy raises a lot. When called-raised preflop and if he has low cards, either folds preflop or slows down on the flop. I played it aggresively on the flop. His bet on the flop was a continuation bet. I tried to take the pot there by raising. He called so i figured he had 2 high cards, may be a high pair or something. The 6 bet into the 15 pot on the turn alerts me for AK or AQ. Perhaps he had the J. But on the river, having shown aggression on the flop the 9 helped me and i took it down with a pair of 3's. I still can't figure out if i played it correctly. Any thoughts are appreciated.

I m Umberto.

Hand #42331949-11981 at Crosby (No Limit Hold'em)
Started at 22/May/07 22:34:36

TaoDeLa42 is at seat 0 with $11.31.
Killer Beez is at seat 1 with $28.41.
brian38ca is at seat 3 with $27.74.
Umberto Eco is at seat 4 with $66.07.
RazorSex is at seat 5 with $25.
The button is at seat 0.

Killer Beez posts the small blind of $.10.
brian38ca posts the big blind of $.25.

TaoDeLa42: -- --
Killer Beez: -- --
brian38ca: -- --
Umberto Eco: 3d 5d
RazorSex: -- --

Pre-flop:

Umberto Eco calls. RazorSex folds. TaoDeLa42 folds.
Killer Beez raises to $1. brian38ca folds.
Umberto Eco calls.

Flop (board: 2d 9s 3h):

Killer Beez bets $1.50. Umberto Eco raises to $6.75.
Killer Beez calls.

Turn (board: 2d 9s 3h Js):

Killer Beez bets $6. Umberto Eco calls.

River (board: 2d 9s 3h Js 9h):

Killer Beez checks. Umberto Eco bets $27.75. Killer
Beez folds. Umberto Eco is returned $27.75
(uncalled).

Hand #42331949-11981 Summary:

$1.10 is raked from a pot of $27.75.
Umberto Eco wins $26.65.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
TheMaster88

TheMaster88

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Other than folding pre-flop (under-the-gun aswell limits what you should play with) I think you've played this pretty well regarding that you had such a read on him.

skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You're not even on the button and you're cold calling a 4x BB raise with 1 gapper connectors? I see your BR going busto in the future with plays like that. Definitely fold PF.

winneronline

winneronline

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok great. Thanks for your replies.
skoldpadda i guess you re absolutely right.
I should definetely improve my preflop strategy.

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The one thing I like about this is all the info you are giving. Its a very good sign that you are so observant, and ultimately that is what allowed you to take this nice pot. Very well done from that point of view and your aggression payed off.

I have to also add, just not to be totally results oriented, to don't play 53s like this too often, even if you do have a good read on opponent. There are other more safe ways to exploit that. Once in a while a play like this is good, even if you get caught, because it gives you an image you can profit from later, if you are able to do it. Just make sure you don't abuse with this type of play, because I'm guessing you're not as good as Gus Hansen yet, lol.

winneronline

winneronline

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hope some day I manage to play at only 30% of the quality of the loose game Gus plays. For the time being I find it extremely difficult not only to play this type of game but to face it too. I usually go on tilt after one bad move against a loose opponent. Anyway, I plan to try for the best. Thanks for your comments.

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You obviously had a great read on the guy, and were obviously playing the player, not your cards. I'm just curious--why did you pick this spot w/ 3/5 suited to make a play on him? Maybe testing your read? I'm genuinely curious.

B

bocasas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it was a fold preflop. I wouldn't have tried a second bluff but as someone said you were playing the player not the cards.....

Y

young hova

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if You feel you had a great read on the player I don't think this is too bad of a play. Personally I would've checked the river, especially If I don't think he has anything, because the only way he'll call that huge bet most likely is if he thinks you have nothing or if he has you most likely dominated. More times than not he's not gonna think you have nothing if you were playing tight. Like you said you have a tight image so he couldve possibly put you on possibly an overpair. If your going to make a bet here I say make a value bet.

Also if you check you get to see if your read is correct and you get to see what he was betting into you with. CHECK THE RIVER in this situation, because if he is capable of going all in over top or makes any type of big raise your gonna have a dillemma on your hand. Besides, you could have made a much smaller bet and made him fold, I think you risked way too much with that bet with a marginal hand on the river. There were no real scare cards out there for you based on your read so if you don't check you want to make a bet he'll call here.

winneronline

winneronline

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
alan1983 : Why to do this? Out of question for me. He could have a bigger pair and perhaps move me all in there. I didn't want that. Of course, I would fold. I would possible fold the river if the second 9 wasn't there.

juiceeQ : Lol. Fishy fishy... :) I m just trying to improve my game. I still miss some basic points of the game :)

young hova :
There were no real scare cards out there for you based on your read
AA KK QQ were possible hands for him.

A

alan1983

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i personnally dont like the turn call. what was the plan for the river had the 9 not hit?

Were you gonna call down any bet?

Fold to a bet? If its fold then save the 6$ turn.

besides youve shown strenght on flop and he comes out betting the turn overcard, had the 9 not hit hed have bet with an unimproved AK even on river thinking the scare card bet worked

Y

young hova

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AA KK QQ were possible hands

Judging by your original post you did mentioned these as possible hands, BUT, according to the read that you actually went with you thought he had high cards and not a pair. When the turn hit you thought that he simply had over cards. ak aq or aj

you said his bet on the flop was a continuation bet as if you believed that he might have nothing but simply betting

If he was aggressive as you say he was, he's probably reraising your raise on the flop with aa kk qq (thats what I would assume).

For the most part you may have thought an over pair was possible PRE FLOP, BUT, the read you went with POST FLOP seemed to no longer consider aa kk qq as a possible hand, let alone any type of pair of that (because he could have had a pair under 9)

If you really thought aa kk qq were possible hands you were going against your original read of him having nothing heavily (POSTFLOP)BASED ON THE READ YOU WENT WITH POSTFLOP, there were no scare cards out there considdering how you read him in the hand.

Even if he had an overpair, that bet on the river still looks suspect and you still couldve bet 10-15 and got the same response out of him, betting lower amounts on the river will definitley save you money when you do get called by a better hand, because if he calls 27 most likely your beat, so if you can get him to fold with a 10-15 bet theres no need to bet that much.

Last edited: