Chips
To continue on the hand I played yesterday:

Flop
5h, Qc, 2h
Turn 7h

BB-me checks
MP-raises $50 into a $68 pot.

I reraise to $150
MP calls my $100 on top of his original bet.

The pot is now $368

River
6h

I want to go all-in at this point but in my excitement, I did not verbally say this, I lifted one $100 chip stack and hovered it past the line and did not put it down yet and lifted another $100 chip stack and at that point said I'm going all-in...the dealer says, "no no can't do that, you can only put the $100 you have over the line first" I say but I didn't put it down yet and he says no.

So I shrug, say fine, "here's $100" and put it down.

The MP guy says, "I'm gonna have to call you" (he had almost $400 in front of him and takes $100 to call me.

He flips over Kh,8h.

I flip over my Ah,4h.

Everyone at the table then started lecturing me about how I should have just said out loud I was all in...and then they all started telling me I should have pushed all in on the turn before the river came up because the MP would have called with his K high flush. They said I could have made alot more money (like another $200) off of him by pushing on the turn.

But I was putting him on a lower flush and I figured if I went too over the top on the turn, he'd fold. So I simply reraised him and decided to push on the river. Then they also said I could have made more money if I'd said verbally all-in....instead of being told I was string betting if I put the other stack in even though the first stack I hadn't even put down, it was just hovering past the line...c'est la vie...

Cheers,
Vegas Cat

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You played it well - except shrugging and saying "fine". The dealer's decision sounds like crap to me. I'd have called the floor manager over for a proper decision. If you haven't put it on the table it shouldn't count. On the other hand maybe he's right and you just messed up by not knowing the rules.

Anyway, you'd be right to shove the river, as your effective stacks are only about $320, which is less than the pot. Some serious acting is due at this point though. Tank it for about 2 minutes before shoving.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands