Set on the flop - All in on turn...?

winneronline

winneronline

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, I m umbi83.

This guy is 33% saw flop and 6% pfr in 72 hands.

$25 USD NL Texas Hold'em - Tuesday, May 29, 09:44:27 ET 2007
Table Table 126941 (real money)
Seat 6 is the button
Total number of players : 6
Seat 3: Tpeck333 ( $37.88 USD )
Seat 2: umbi83 ( $23 USD )
Seat 6: EmmaDieLemma ( $28.50 USD )
Seat 1: Henrik042 ( $22.60 USD )
Seat 5: KiddyCat_ ( $25.90 USD )
Seat 4: Karayan ( $25 USD )
Henrik042 posts small blind [$0.10 USD].
umbi83 posts big blind [$0.25 USD].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to umbi83 [ 6d 6h ]
Tpeck333 raises [$1.50 USD]
KiddyCat_ folds.
EmmaDieLemma folds.
Henrik042 folds.
>You have options at Table 126346 Table!.
umbi83 calls [$1.25 USD]
** Dealing Flop ** [ 8c, Jh, 6s ]
umbi83 checks.
Tpeck333 checks.
** Dealing Turn ** [ Qc ]
umbi83 checks.
Tpeck333 bets [$1 USD]
umbi83 raises [$3.50 USD]
Tpeck333 is all-In.

Umbi83 ????

umbi83 is all-In.
** Dealing River ** [ 5h ]
umbi83 shows [ 6d, 6h ]three of a kind, Sixes.
Tpeck333 shows [ Jd, Js ]three of a kind, Jacks.
Tpeck333 wins $14.88 USD from side pot #1 with three of a kind, Jacks.
Tpeck333 wins $44.10 USD from the main pot with three of a kind, Jacks.

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Call - why would you play 66 if you fold if you hit your set? And if you fold a set on a raggy board like that, just what hands do you expect to win with? (and yes, i did see what happened, but that's just bad luck).

You need to build these pots up too, not just keep checking. Win big pots with big hands, not small pots.

winneronline

winneronline

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I totally agree with you. After the enormous bet I put him on AA,KK or another set of course. Perhaps the specific bet made me see some red flags but he was a below average player, so pocket AA or KK was my prediction for his cards.
Anyway, I d like more opinions.

Emperor IX

Emperor IX

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd asay that calling with set here wouldn't be a bad idea,the worst I'd think I was up against was a flush draw, but even then, it's only a draw, so you made the right move.

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
aa/kk/aq/akc/(rarely)QJ can all do this too. as well as someone making a move with TT or some combo draw. instacall and shrug when QQ JJ 88 are there

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm always ready to go broke when I hit a set, top, middle or bottom, it doesn't matter. There are very, very few exceptions to it. As far as this hand, there is nothing here to make me fold this. As much as you can try to put him on certain range, there is no way of being sure he has a better set. What you do know, in general, is that set over set doesn't happen frequently, and you just can't worry about it. If he has it, so be it.

As Rob said, you do need to start building up these pots. That is what you have to worry about when you flop a set, finding a way to get his whole stack. If you keep the pot small you won't achieve that.

P.S. I'm able to read the rest of the hand from OP, but I still gave my thoughts, it wouldn't be right to be results oriented. Laying down your hand is as close to impossible as it could get, you just got really unlucky.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yup, I'm with everyone else in terms of getting it all in with a set.

I can see why you might not lead the flop though, since you're OOP and he is the preflop raiser. You assume with only 2 of you in the hand he's going to c-bet. The absence of the c-bet followed by the bet-reraise may ring some warning bells but if he's below average that could mean a variety of things.