Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just wondering, about how often do you guys try to check raise when:

You've raised preflop.
You're against 1 opponent.
The flop is not dangerous looking.
You have a middle over pair to the board.

Same as above except you have a high over pair such as QQ/KK/AA.

calibanboy

calibanboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A) do it to mix up your play, especially when you have been CB a lot.
b) If you are bluffing/semi bluffing ( as above ) do it only when your opponent is good enough to fold

Thats it.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just wondering, about how often do you guys try to check raise when:

You've raised preflop.
You're against 1 opponent.
The flop is not dangerous looking.
You have a middle over pair to the board.

Same as above except you have a high over pair such as QQ/KK/AA.

Personally, in #1 I would never check raise. Too much of a chance of a check behind me and then the turn comes A. What do you do now? You don't even know where you stand. If you bet and he comes over the top, you're most likely beat (he called your PF raise and raised your post-flop raise) or perhaps he thinks you're just making a continuation bet with crap and is trying to take the hand down there. Or the final possibility is that he has something like TPTK that he doesn't realize isn't good, putting you on 2 high cards because of your PF raise and trying to prevent you from outdrawing him, just as your bet was. But at least here you can try to make a read based on the player it is and how they play. If he calls you either he's slow playing a set or 2 pair or something (although if he called a raise PF you have to believe he doesn't have 2-pair with an under non-dangerous flop) or else you have him. I'd put him on either 2 high cards or possibly a high card and a pair (depending on style of their play of course, if they like to slowplay, you've got to be careful of the possibility of him holding a monster like a set or even a higher pocket pair. If he likes to play a ton of hands, it's also possible he has 2 pair even though the board is all low).

But the biggest benefit to a bet is that much of the time they will fold. You don't have them dominated most likely, so they have a legitimate chance of hitting the turn. Whenever you check-raise, you open yourself up to the possibility of them just checking and taking the free card.

But then again if you are facing someone who you know will bet it regardless, you can check-raise knowing that the majority of the time you have the better hand, and will win his bet when you do. But there's a chance he has a monster as well and if he calls your raise or comes over the top you've got to believe you're beat.

#2:
Depends on your play, if you have an aggressive opponent, I'd do it 100% of the time. If you're playing against some good players you've got to mix it up once in a while. If you have a loose image, people could easily call or raise your continuation bet, and then you have to decide if your high pocket pair is good.

Just my opinion.