C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1. congrats on thw wins =)
2. if he is loose, like you say, you should not be worried as QQ+ is good against his range
3. this is were you have to decide how good is 500$ for you =) i mean you can always leave
4. I would have called or shoved 4 bet post flop. If he is rasing PRF 30bb his ranges might be weak but not garbag so 7x is out, any strong Ax(9,j.K) is 1:4 to lose on that flop, So you should bу scared of KK,AA. He might have it (thats why #3), But if he as lose as you say this usually = aggression, so he would shove PRF.

Ian the Fish

Ian the Fish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The question you have to ask yourself, really, is that if you call and you are beat (say, by KK), will it have a negative effect on your decision making further at the table? If yes, then simply fold. If it will not have a negative effect on your mindset, you should definitely call. Your QQ, as asedu mentioned already, is good vs. his range quite often, making this a profitable call in vacuum (excluding all the tilt you might get onto, when you see him flipping over AK and hitting one of the 7 outs on turn or river).

It is not a mistake either way. You just have to know, how much are you willing to gamble there.

Ricey155

Ricey155

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Weighing up the game, if I was ahead with comfy chip lead call all day even raise harder pre flop maybe ! After his all in fold all day for me.

Unlucky but pairs are a nightmare on pokerstars everyone has them :)

A

arod6893

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Always folding.

Typical over-jams on this type of board warrant KK-AA. Weird play for AK and other pairs should check/call. If hes super aggressive maybe you think about calling but a reg/tight player will not make that move with anything less then AK and QQ+

skavenger

skavenger

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would pay easy ... hands like AA, KK, and even a 7 are prone to check and slowplay, however aggressive he is.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First off, welcome!!!

Given what you said about him, I am making the call here. He will be 3 betting a large range of hands you have beat - AK, AQ, maybe even AJ-AT from what you have said. AA, KK defo in his range but JJ-TT maybe even 99-88? He may be 3 betting KQ, KJs, or even just some air as well. So his jam on this flop will have all the PP and maybe even AK-AQ as well as AA-KK. His 3 betting with 7x will probably be rare enough that we can count that out. Your call pre could also make him jam with a lot of the mentioned hands, as you may also be calling with a wider range.

It was mentioned, but dont put the results in. People will see he had KK and say "Oh, you should have folded" or whatever. The way you described the hand in your OP was fine.

G

Guiguero

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you choose the right decision. As you said, you only loose vs AA or KK, I never did a fold like that with QQ, is a very strong hand.

Also he is an aggresive player and you told he plays AQ like AA, so good call

Last edited:
ubo

ubo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe I'm not very experienced player, but the combination with the QQ is often victorious. I'm with this combination of cards willingly go to the ol in.

And I do not agree.
Very often why is that QQ is behind...
Of course it can, it only happens to me?))))

Hey guys. First just wanted to introduce myself as this is my first ever post. My name is Kyle and I just started playing poker. I've been doing lots of studying and just finished my 5th live session tonight. I've been playing fairly tight and have profited $500 in my first 22 hours of play.

My question is about my last hand tonight. I had been at the table for 3 hours and the action had slowed way down and I also have work pretty early. I figured I'd play my button then head home. Playing 1/3 NL.

It limps to me and I look at QQ on the button. I raise to 15 and get 3 bet to 30 from the small blind. All others fold and I call.

So the player who 3 bet me has been at the table the whole time I have and I've watched him play his stack from 300 down to only 50 a few times and seems to shove fairly loosely when he gets down to around $100. He's shoved hands from AQs all the way up to AA. Seems to play a ton of pots and have seen him call down only high cards a few times in the session. During this hand he has 130 to start and I have him covered.

The flop comes 777 and he instantly jams his remaining 100. Now here is my question and I apologize if this is a super clear play here but like I said I'm brand new to poker and am very interested in learning and playing hands correctly. My thinking was at this point I am beat by KK, AA, and 7x. I took 7x out of the equation mostly because I don't think he would 3 bet with a hand like that. The history I know about him played in and I call hoping he has AK or something along those lines.

Thanks again for any responses in lookin fb forward to learning as much as possible from the forum!

Are you a beginner? Do I understand correctly? /
And from playing such high limits? $ 500 plus?
Then you very well trained the game!
And often migrating to QQ, and KK and AA are not talking about 100% victory. So all the rules!

R

rhombus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you choose the right decision. As you said, you only loose vs AA or KK, I never did a fold like that with QQ, is a very strong hand.

Also he is an aggresive player and you told he plays AQ like AA, so good call
+1
You are ahead of far more hands than you are behind. In these kind of situations very difficult to fold unless you have a very good read on the player and you have seen him do the same/similar thing before

K

KSS1101

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
And I do not agree.
Very often why is that QQ is behind...
Of course it can, it only happens to me?))))

Are you a beginner? Do I understand correctly? /
And from playing such high limits? $ 500 plus?
Then you very well trained the game!
And often migrating to QQ, and KK and AA are not talking about 100% victory. So all the rules!

Yes I am a beginner. I guess I took it very serious. Lurked around forums, read a ton and watched videos before I ever sat in a live game. I probably play a little too tight as of now but I'm really focused on building a bank roll.

Ian the Fish

Ian the Fish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes I am a beginner. I guess I took it very serious. Lurked around forums, read a ton and watched videos before I ever sat in a live game. I probably play a little too tight as of now but I'm really focused on building a bank roll.
If you are truly serious about building your 'roll, you should invest some time learning about BRM. Playing outside not only the limits of what your finances allow you, but, more importantly, your skill level, is very dangerous.

When you do encounter this exact situation 100s of times, you will have a much clearer vision regarding how you want to respond. Thus, if those 100s of times come in the very lowest of levels (micro stakes), then you won't be costing yourself a fortune, but just a small portion of your overall BR.

Play vs. lower limit players, as they are weaker, and move up the stakes when you have beaten the current level over a decent sample size.

K

KSS1101

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are truly serious about building your 'roll, you should invest some time learning about BRM. Playing outside not only the limits of what your finances allow you, but, more importantly, your skill level, is very dangerous.

When you do encounter this exact situation 100s of times, you will have a much clearer vision regarding how you want to respond. Thus, if those 100s of times come in the very lowest of levels (micro stakes), then you won't be costing yourself a fortune, but just a small portion of your overall BR.

Play vs. lower limit players, as they are weaker, and move up the stakes when you have beaten the current level over a decent sample size.

Thanks for the advice. I've been doing some bank roll reading and realize that playing 1/3 stakes can be devistating to my bank roll and break me fast. I'm deffinatly going to look into playing micro stakes and keep learning and building.

ubo

ubo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just don't understand how you taught poker, if, immediately on such large limits.
Of course if financial capabilities allow , then it is understandable.
Just for many , I think even 99%; new players such limits are not that high, they are simply not attainable...

C

chemdawg42

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you played right. You could have gotten the money in pre too but sometimes you just get coolered.

A

Agent Folder

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
QQ are very good cards. An hour ago, in cash table, I won with this pair. Went all in and there was another Q on flop. I personally, love to play all in with QQ.

A

amadeusace

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course you call... It's a spot you can't avoid. He could that with pure air.. or any pocket pairs below QQ.

J

John Kennedy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I might have raised a little stronger but would have been the same result. Given what you're saying about the player you're against I don't think you did anything wrong... that's just poker.

J

John Kennedy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd say you need approx 20 times your max buy in as bankroll to be comfortable... to play $1 - $2 that's approx $4,000... and that's a super tight bare minimum bank roll.

K

KSS1101

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the continued replies. I guess my next question is what would you recomend I do until I have a more sustainable bank roll? The lowest stakes offered where I play are 1/3. Should I not play any sessions until I have a proper bank roll? I know a lot of people play micro stakes online but I am not aware of any sites legal in the US? If there are I'd love to know so I can properly play at my bank roll level and learn the game at the same time.

P

Pavel Stezhkin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's why all-in designed exclusively on luck rather than on the strength of his hands.

L

layerlord

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's very variated my BB, actions infront of me. But if i onder 40BB i tried put on pre-flop. 40BB over play slowplayed.

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I havn't read hardly any replies.

My questions would be, is he positionally aware?
if he's 3betting from SB this is big strength... Is he playing loose and 3betting wide from late position?

So perhaps from SB he's never weak here and could make a tight laydown here. Knowing he wouldn't 3bet anything less than KK+

A lot of people find JJ awkward and would flat pre... AK plays very awful OOP but he could easily shove AK here given you called the 3bet.

I think if you put hands like AK and JJ TT its an easy call. But perhaps in SB he will never have this.

Anyways enjoy :)

P.S you could opt to shove pre. Especially if he's wider.. I know he had KK this time but if he's doing this with a lot of other hands, we can make a ton of money in this spot. So always keep an eye out for people getting out of control. And calling his 3bet is committing us, so shoving wouldn't change much since we aren't going anywhere or shouldn't

A

attentive24

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you played it right.