Q9 in multiway limped pot; 25nl

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain is 20/4/1.5 over 50 hands and I'm my usual ~15/10/4. What does the turn donk mean and what's our plan for the hand?

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed)

SB ($8.20)
BB ($29.55)
UTG ($34.35)
UTG+1 ($24.75)
MP1 ($11.50)
MP2 ($14.75)
MP3 ($69.45)
CO ($18.50)
Hero ($36.85)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9
heart.gif
, Q
heart.gif
2 folds, MP1 calls $0.25, 1 fold, MP3 calls $0.25, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.25, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($1.25) 5
heart.gif
, 9
diamond.gif
, 8
club.gif
(5 players)
SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, MP3 checks, Hero bets $1, SB folds, BB calls $1, MP1 folds, MP3 folds.

Turn: ($3.25) Q
diamond.gif
(2 players)
BB bets $3, Hero ...

skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
combo draw or worse 2 pair probably. Even if he has a made hand you have outs. I raise to about $9 because you can't give a free card to a draw and if he has a worse 2 pair you want to get paid. If he has a set or a straight and re-raises you then well...

ALternatively you can control the pot size in position and just call his bet since you close the betting.

I think either way is fine. Obviously you're not folding.

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looks like he has JT or maybe a set that's decided to stop slow-playing now the board's got drawier. I can't fold yet though - just call for pot control, and with any luck you'll hit a 4-outer and bust him. I would however seriously consider folding to a big river bet.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Call and re-evaluate river. If blank hits and he bets huge then fold, but if you sense that he's trying to value bet a non-monster (if he doesn't bet quite as much), I could see calling.

J

jeffred1111

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Call, there's no need in protecting your hand in such a small pot especially since there's a good chance you might actualy be behind against this opponent. Pot control > protection here.

Reevaluate river: I call anything that's reasonable (4) and not a J, T. Diamond I cry and call. I bet same amount I'm willing to call if checked to me.

Also, why no squeeze preflop ? This seems like one of the best scenario for one.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also, why no squeeze preflop ? This seems like one of the best scenario for one.

I squeeze a lot of the time in spots like these, but I'd gotten myself in a lot of trouble with squeeze plays in my last few sessions and decided to tone it down some. I was also 8-tabling on purpose to avoid plays like these - I'm trying to play the nittiest style possible.

Anyways my thoughts are that a) he's slowplayed trips, a straight or two pair and is hoping that queen hit me, b) the queen helped him with Q5 or Q8 or c) he hit his JT. I don't know why but it just really felt like a very straight forward JT that called the flop with the draw and hit it on the turn.

I called turn and folded to a river bet (ace). I don't see many hands betting that strong especially with the ace hitting on the river he'd slow down with all pairs and some two pairs. A little weaksauce but I felt pretty strongly he had JT.

J

jeffred1111

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Squeezing really depends on your postflop play and your opponents and we do it imho for two things:

a) getting the blinds out of the way and taking their money (or takes everyone's money)
b) showing strength, having more FE in position and buy BTN (in this scenario you already have BTN)

I really do believe we have a good squeezing hand, but 8-tabling, yeah, I might even fold this since I need to play postflop good and my attention might be somewhere else. I thus agree that it can be a huge leak if you cannot deliver postflop on your squeeze play (since these guys are calling a lot and it'll get multiway more often than HU)

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not really a squeeze unless someone's raised and there are callers in the middle, then you re-raise, and you're hoping that everyone folds, on the basis that the callers can't be that strong or they would have re-raised themselves, and the first raiser doesn't have to have a premium hand. In an unraised pot there's not enough there to make it worthwhile. Raising limpers is a bit different because they'll call a lot more.