Pocket Aces

Z

Zipperface

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i read your posts and couldn't agree with people who said that aa should be folded. i can't play it and i'm lossing reather than winning with this hand but i also lost so many times against aa that i think this is only my fault :D. now i will try to agressivly bet it pre flop and i think this is good strategy. my only advice is to avoid betting a lot of many on aa when tournament starts couse u will probably will see few players betting all in on your high bet and then everything may happen :D:D:D

S

Sherak

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you thought you had to fold AA then in reality you would have to fold every hand you play, KK, QQ, KQ, JJ, TT? Play AA like you would play any other decent pocket pair and you will somtimes win and somtime lose... The reason people lose big on AA is they think it is the hand of God and get carried away only to get beat by a low straight or low prial, I woul dplay AA into the flop if 456 or XXX(s) flops, leave it alone its no better than 22...

RammerJammer

RammerJammer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here's a good AA story from this morning at the Noble .50/1.00 NLHE ring game. I picked up AhAd on the button and raised it to $6. Picked up two callers. Flop came Th Ks Kh. Other two guys check. I bet the pot at $24.50. First guy folds. Second guy goes all in with another $42 over the pot. I think about it for a second, wondering if he slowplayed Kings, but my gut says no, and I call. He turns over AT for K's & Tens. The turn and river come up small blanks and I take a big pot with Aces and Kings.

Now for the good part. He ridicules my call for a good ten minutes. 'How could you call an all-in with two pairs and Kings on the board?' 'Another dummy who thinks AA is unbeatable!' 'That was terrible!' I just kept my mouth shut and kept playing while he went on and on.

Caught AA again a bit later, this time under the gun, and immediately went all-in again, knowing he was in the big blind and would think I was just trying to bully him. Sure enough, the table folds around and he calls with J9 suited. I bust him out and he leaves the table for good but not before contributing over a hundred bucks to the Rammer Benevolence Fund.

Schatzdog

Schatzdog

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AA vs 9 10

Hey guys,

I was dealt As Ad in early position. I raise 4xBB and everyone folds around to the cutoff who calls. Flop comes 9s 4s 2d. I bet all in to shut it down then and there. He calls. Turn is 5s and river is 9c. He turns over 9d 10c to take the pot with a set of nines.

I was pretty much an 81% favourite from the start to an 88% favourite before the River. I think I played it well and just got unlucky.

It does seem though that AA is a hit and miss hand. You either double up or bust out. I don't think slow playing is the way to go with this hand either.

At the same table about four hands before this one guy doubled up AA vs AK going all-in pre-flop.

I'd never fold it but it can be a tough hand to play.

C

Creativ3

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would raise the preflop really high and make sure most of them fold. If I see an A on the flop I bet to to bring one of the callers to an all in. Then see how my lucks goes from there.

S

Sherak

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
RammerJammer said:
Now for the good part. He ridicules my call for a good ten minutes. 'How could you call an all-in with two pairs and Kings on the board?' 'Another dummy who thinks AA is unbeatable!' 'That was terrible!' I just kept my mouth shut and kept playing while he went on and on.
Nice story, I love it it when a tosser gets stung.... The thing is, how stupid do some of these arrogant b'stards want to make themselves look. He consitently ridicules you for calling an 'all in' with Aces and Kings yet he raised all in with tens and kings, one ten in the hole..... The guy was a fool to do such a stupid thing, he didnt even have 5th best hand. When he bluffs does he think everyone must bow down to him. Great read and I suppose it was his embarasment more than anything.

XXIII

XXIII

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to lose every AA. But then I changed my strategy just a little. Kinda a bit of trickery though. Before I bet I tell everyone I have pocket aces. Then I raise it about 5 times the big blind. Normally one or 2 people call cause they don't believe me. After the flop I double my last raise. Turn and river get same bet if the people stay in. If they fold I always show the Aces. I never lie about having them. But people will always think the next time if I have them or I don't.

My Favorite time to have them is in a tournament and the big stack is stealing blinds with like 4 times the bb. I usually double them up and play from there. Got to play smart but aggressive.

M

mrdank

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on position, but if I'm on an agressive table I will push if there has been a lot of calling to the big raise with mediocre hands. I may limp early if I think I might get raised by later position but that usually backfires.

Crumble

Crumble

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Quite a few posts here point out, correctly, that slow playing AA makes them more likely to lose.

But the point of limping with AA, especially in early position, is so that when you limp with other hands your opponents will know you might have AA, and treat your limping with more respect. By keeping opps confused, the money you lose with AA comes back multiplied on those other, more frequent, lesser hands.

If you never limp with good hands you are too easy to read!

L

luckyjew

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i disagree about never slow playing aa, in cash games it can be much more profitable because u are not put on that hand, especialy if an ace falls on the board. but more importantly in big mtt's slowpaying aa gives you the ability to lay it down without having had commited a good portion of chips before the flop

R

ronholes7059

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to try and slow play them all the time preflop, just to try and get others to preflop raise so I could come over the top. I don't mess around anymore with that and usually only slow play them preflop if it is like 4 or less people but then I still don't usually do it. In my opinion people tend to lose with AA most of the time b/c they misplay the hand or they don't know when to let it go. It is tought to fold the aces but sometimes you just have to do it if you think you are beat. If you think you are beat just drop the hand, better to drop the best hand and save your money then to be wrong and lose a bunch. But like everyone else said, play em strong and raise and re-raise preflop, that should cut down your loses with AA