Maniacs

T

Threesixes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wow2.bmp

By looking at the screenshot you might think this guy was a fish, but actually he was a maniac. Whenever there was any money in the pot he would just bet big and force everyone out. He actually had a decent starting hand this time, but he would have played any 2 cards the same way. If I can keep a guy like this at my table long enough, I will take all his money. I think I make more money off these guys than I do off of fish. Even if I have to lose a pot or 2 1st, I will still get it all my money back plus his. Do these guys think we dont know whats going on when they play like this?

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The flop bet and your call should have had him hearing red flags, but then again that is what happens to overly aggresive maniac who bets no matter what.

ummm your pre flop call is suspicious though, you had to put him on a top ten hand but you called with soooooted cards???

gord962

gord962

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played a maniac that got the luckiest cards I have ever seen. This guy had worked his way up to 5 X max buy in and just kept playing the strangest hands and getting paid off.

Attachments

• example.JPG
    example.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 63
T

Threesixes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The flop bet and your call should have had him hearing red flags, but then again that is what happens to overly aggresive maniac who bets no matter what.

ummm your pre flop call is suspicious though, you had to put him on a top ten hand but you called with soooooted cards???

No, he could have bet like that with any two cards like I stated above. I was targeting him, and to take him down I need to be in a hand with just him and I. If I didnt hit the flop, I fold. It was only a matter of time before he puts all his money on the line holding nothing, while I am holding something.

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, he could have bet like that with any two cards like I stated above. I was targeting him, and to take him down I need to be in a hand with just him and I. If I didnt hit the flop, I fold. It was only a matter of time before he puts all his money on the line holding nothing, while I am holding something.

Your choice to keep wasting money on marginal hands. Keep hope, luck and wish calling all you want. long term you will lose

T

Threesixes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played a maniac that got the luckiest cards I have ever seen. This guy had worked his way up to 5 X max buy in and just kept playing the strangest hands and getting paid off.

I have seen it too. I watch these guys come in and sometimes they double or triple up quickly, but they almost always lose it all right there in front of me. I hate it when they take a big pot or two from me and then give it all to the guy next to me on the next hand and leave broke. I go after these guys because I know theyre going to give it away soon enough, and I want it to be to me.

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The cardinal sin which you forgot, even a maniac and/or fish can have a hand and you called with a marginal hand go figure.

T

Threesixes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your choice to keep wasting money on marginal hands. Keep hope, luck and wish calling all you want. long term you will lose

Nope I'll take two suited big cards against two random cards any day. in the long run it WILL pay off. Do you understand that he would do the same with 7-2 just because he decided its time for him to win another pot, and most everyone will fold to his big bets.

Let me put it like this. If I took a QJ suited and bet you 50 bucks against the 2 cards you were dealt (but havent looked at) would you take that bet? Chances are, that I have him from the get go.

Not only that, but no matter what he has, chances are hes not going to hit the flop, but hes going to bet like he did regardless. Thats wonderful. if I hit the flop I call, if not I fold. Eventually I will have all the chips.

T

Threesixes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The cardinal sin which you forgot, even a maniac and/or fish can have a hand and you called with a marginal hand go figure.

Its not a big deal if he wins a pot or two. He will get stacked in the end. Its pretty much a loan.

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nope I'll take two suited big cards against two random cards any day. in the long run it WILL pay off. Do you understand that he would do the same with 7-2 just because he decided its time for him to win another pot, and most everyone will fold to his big bets.

Let me put it like this. If I took a QJ suited and bet you 50 bucks against the 2 cards you were dealt (but havent looked at) would you take that bet? Chances are, that I have him from the get go.

Not only that, but no matter what he has, chances are hes not going to hit the flop, but hes going to bet like he did regardless. Thats wonderful. if I hit the flop I call, if not I fold. Eventually I will have all the chips.

No you didn't know he had random cards, you hoped, wished and lucked out that he did, he re-raised you (period), what you think he have 2,4 off suit every time cause he is a maniac. You got lucky period with a maginal hand and you won't admit it.

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its not a big deal if he wins a pot or two. He will get stacked in the end. Its pretty much a loan.

This is the leak in your game , you have to know at times when you are actually beat instead of calling just cause he is a maniac and what if he was a TAG player, would you have still called?

Lets say if a TAG player had the same hand? so again it is a marginal hand hoping to get lucky.

T

Threesixes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No you didn't know he had random cards, you hoped, wished and lucked out that he did, he re-raised you (period), what you think he have 2,4 off suit every time cause he is a maniac. You got lucky period with a maginal hand and you won't admit it.

No he doesnt have to have the 2,4 off suit every time twizzy. Just once and hes separated from his whole stack. I saw him do it, and keep doing it. Like I said, it was only a matter of time before I had him all his money in and no hand.

T

Threesixes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is the leak in your game , you have to know at times when you are actually beat instead of calling just cause he is a maniac and what if he was a TAG player, would you have still called?

Lets say if a TAG player had the same hand? so again it is a marginal hand hoping to get lucky.

Anyone else at that table made that re-raise and its a sure fold.

T

Threesixes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

With this kind of thinking, you will fold to this guy every time. He ALWAYS bets like he has a huge hand. You dont think folding to a guy thats trying to give his money away is a leak?

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:boxing:

Here's my 2c:
When I'm faced with a maniac like this, I usually wait for a top 10 hand, or a good situation (ie hitting a big hand from the blind) to pick on him. QJ is a little below my standards for fighting back vs. a reraise (regardless how many times he does it with rags); I usually wait for a pushing hand so that I can stick him in. I don't like calling drawing hands against these players for a reraise, but for a raise I'll definitley be calling with suited connectors down to like 45s.

Anyways; this play may be a little loose, but I know that 666 is a disciplined player, and would never put his a bunch of chips like this on the line unless he was very sure he was ahead in the hand. Congrats on the big pot (I love taking those LAG players down :D)

T

Threesixes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:boxing:

Here's my 2c:
When I'm faced with a maniac like this, I usually wait for a top 10 hand, or a good situation (ie hitting a big hand from the blind) to pick on him. QJ is a little below my standards for fighting back vs. a reraise (regardless how many times he does it with rags); I usually wait for a pushing hand so that I can stick him in. I don't like calling drawing hands against these players for a reraise, but for a raise I'll definitley be calling with suited connectors down to like 45s.

Anyways; this play may be a little loose, but I know that 666 is a disciplined player, and would never put his a bunch of chips like this on the line unless he was very sure he was ahead in the hand. Congrats on the big pot (I love taking those LAG players down :D)

The problem with waiting is that he may give all his chips to someone else. He definitely isnt keeping them long. I want them. If hes playing any old hand like its the nuts, then I just need an above average hand to have an edge on him. If I dont hit the flop at all, I fold to his huge bet and he thinks his "strategy" is working which is great because hes sure to do it again next time.

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With this kind of thinking, you will fold to this guy every time. He ALWAYS bets like he has a huge hand. You dont think folding to a guy thats trying to give his money away is a leak?

No I won't.. I want a hand to fight with, not some soooted connector cards.
This is the perfect opportunity to see how much he overvalues his cards coming over the top of him with a hand to fight with.
I want control of this hand, not the maniac. You want the maniac to make decisions not yourself.

T

Threesixes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All right. Sit and wait for your aces then. Thats the safe way to do it. Everyone else at the table is doing the same thing. Maybe you'll be the 1st to get dealt aces or kings and youll take his money. Maybe it will be someone else at the table. I remember arguing this a little last time I posted a hand like this when I stacked the maniac with a K high. Guess well just have to disagree on this one.

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All right. Sit and wait for your aces then. Thats the safe way to do it. Everyone else at the table is doing the same thing. Maybe you'll be the 1st to get dealt aces or kings and youll take his money. Maybe it will be someone else at the table. I remember arguing this a little last time I posted a hand like this when I stacked the maniac with a K high. Guess well just have to disagree on this one.

Won't have to wait for aces, or even KK's or QQ's. I would even go as far as pocket 22's, again I want to be the aggresor and make the maniac make a decision and not me, that is why I would go over the top of him. Even with the Q,J, if I am going to gamble. I will gamble and go over the top of him.. I want to see all 5 cards at once or the maniac doesn't see them at all.

I don't fully disagree by the way cause I love when a maniac over values any ace x and king x. So when I have basically any pocket pair, dang right I am pushing back at him cause again I want to put pressure on him making decisions, not me having the pressures and having to make a decision.

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think that the point is Threesixes had a good read on this guy, and this example villain just happened to have a hand (preflop) anyway. You can see by his (maniacal) betting through all streets what kind of player he is. I think T played this fine. Of course in any normal circumstance he's not going to make that call pf. But in this case, he's playing the player, not the cards.

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that the point is Threesixes had a good read on this guy, and this example villain just happened to have a hand (preflop) anyway. You can see by his (maniacal) betting through all streets what kind of player he is. I think T played this fine. Of course in any normal circumstance he's not going to make that call pf. But in this case, he's playing the player, not the cards.

Actually he is hoping, wishing for luck to play the player instead of playing the cards. Like my favorite saying goes which now I added to "Luck comes and goes but knowledge is forever"

Added on "no knowlege is gained by getting lucky" and that is exactly what happened here.

Then again the calling on just the re-raise is also the I rather be safe the sorry by calling with a marginal hand.

Probably why I get in more trouble situations because I wouldn't be afraid to re-raise the re-raise.

T

Threesixes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Then again the calling on just the re-raise is also the I rather be safe the sorry by calling with a marginal hand.

No its not. You just dont get it at all. I dont want to get into it preflop with this guy. Not with a QJ. Then I would be the same as him. I want to make some sort of hand on the flop, knowing he will keep betting until his stack is gone with nothing. But I'm done with this thread because we will never see eye to eye here. If you think I dont make money like this then all I can say is that you are wrong.

T

Threesixes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

This is exactly what I'm saying. :D

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually he is hoping, wishing for luck to play the player instead of playing the cards. Like my favorite saying goes which now I added to "Luck comes and goes but knowledge is forever"

Added on "no knowlege is gained by getting lucky" and that is exactly what happened here.

Probably why I get in more trouble situations because I wouldn't be afraid to re-raise the re-raise.

You reeealllly don't get it. Maybe you should try to re-read what Threesixes and JQ have said, because this is kind of an important and potentially profitable concept of poker.