live $1/2 hand, akward TPGK situation

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
at harrahs last night, im stacked at about $170 (bought in ~$100 or so) in the BB and look down at KcJd. 5 limpers infront of me, and i just check.

Flop is J105 with 2 clubs. $12 in the pot, and i make it $10 to go. folds to the newest player at the table (button) and he raises to $25. i am thinking J10/KJ/109/QJ are his possible ranges. Also the semibluff @ clubs or KQ is possible.

I call here (contemplate re-raising and folding to a shove, but my live game is still more timid than my online game). Turn is the 4c, making 3 clubs out. I check, and he bets out $30. I have a feeling he has KJ/J10, I dont think he would try to push me out with the flush. I now have TPGK and feel that a club or king are my only clean outs and call. Turn is a blank, and I check fold to a $50 bet.

I dont feel I completely misplayed it, as I asked J10 and he showed it after the hand was over. I was happy that my read was pretty on from the flop, but was it wrong of me to not reraise the flop? If he calls the reraise do we bet out of position on any turn?

hott_estelle

hott_estelle

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you read him J10 on the flop, then you know you're behind, so you're two ways to win: 1) you push him out or 2) you hit your K or backdoor flush. So if you were going to go with your read, you either fold on the flop, if you want to play weak/soft, or you make a play at it on the turn. I think if you had put him on the J10, and you want to leave yourself flexibility to have a greater chance in taking down the pot, you should have reraised the flop. I think, if you want to win the pot this was your only move, and then continuation raising on the turn.

But instead of that, lets say we're going off of what you actually did, I don't agree with your play on the turn. You're pretty much calling to the flush, I think the move has to be a decent size reraise to represent the flush, or a fold. You can't just straight call there.

Schatzdog

Schatzdog

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not crazy about the Turn call, unless you plan to try and take it away from him on the river. Your read is pretty much spot on at this stage of the hand, so you can try and represent the flush yourself on the river. Looking back it does look like you could be drawing: your flop bet could be a semi-bluff, then the flat call on the turn. Check-raise the river and make it look like a nice sized value bet.

Thoughts?

Organize a Home Poker Game Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands