How to play a set 3-handed?

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just a pretty fine point as I seek to improve my NLHE game, and get the most out of my winning hands. Do you think I could have got more money in the pot here, and if so how? Better just to lead out on the flop or the turn?

Opponent reads: Number6 very passive, flink more aggressive, likes to pot-bet on the button when checked to him. Although this is only my 9th hand at the table.

Seat 1: flinck - $66.75
Seat 3: Bombjack - $49.70
Seat 5: Number6 - $74.16
Moving Button to seat 5
flinck posts small blind ($0.25)
Bombjack posts big blind ($0.50)
Shuffling Deck
Dealing Cards
Dealing [6c] [6h] to Bombjack
Number6 calls $0.50
flinck raises to $2
Bombjack calls $2
Number6 calls $2
Dealing Flop [6s] [Ac] [Jh]
flinck checks
Bombjack checks
Number6 bets $2
flinck folds
Bombjack calls $2
Dealing Turn [Jd]
Bombjack checks
Number6 bets $2
Bombjack raises to $6
Number6 calls $6
Dealing River [7s]
Bombjack bets $10
Number6 calls $10
Taking Rake of $1 from pot 1
Bombjack shows [6c] [6h]
Bombjack has Full House, 6s over Jacks
Number6 mucks
Bombjack wins $41 with: Full House, 6s over Jacks

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably got the most out of it that you could - if opponent had a decent hand he'll have reraised on the river - he knew he was probably beat, but had to call just in case. Personally i'd have bet maybe half the pot on the turn, i think the check call on the flop and check re-raise on the river makes it pretty obvious you have Ace (or better), so a bet may imply a Jack or Six and make opponent think he's ahead, meaning more action on later streets. Could always make him just fold there and then though, so you'll never know!

Effexor

Effexor

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you could have bet more on the river. By calling the check raise, it's apparent that he's unwilling to lay down his hand. He may put you on a busted flush draw / steal attempt if you bet the river really hard.

joshyb20

joshyb20

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I thought you played it pretty well. I may have made a small raise when he bet the flop however. Just enough to keep him in while boosting the pot. When he made the same bet on the turn and just called you could probably put him on the ace, and rule out the jack, and knew he was going to stick to the hand. The most you missed out on this hand, however, was about 2-4 more bucks, but with the passive player as you put it, you may have driven him out. All in all I think you played it well. Good job

joshyb20

joshyb20

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you could have bet more on the river. By calling the check raise, it's apparent that he's unwilling to lay down his hand. He may put you on a busted flush draw / steal attempt if you bet the river really hard.

That depends on what he was trying to do with the $10 bet. Were you trying to get him to think you were "buying" the pot in order to get a raise? Or were you simply trying to boost the pot. You were never going to get a raise out of the guy, he was hoping to see an ace and wasn't truly sold on you having a jack (and obviously had no clue what you had) The higher the raise the more likely he folds. With your previous bet being $6, I think 10 was about right.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like leading the flop. He's shown strength preflop, and unless he's holding 99 or some other underpair, you're probably going to get action. 3-handed, people like making moves and A8 will probably give you some good action.

If I were in his feet, your course of actions looks too much like a 2-pair/set (or even a strong bluff) that I'd think twice before calling your check-raise even. Leading with monster hands is the best way to disguise them IMO.

BillyTheBull

BillyTheBull

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also think you probably got all you could out of that - my guess is the other guy probably had an A or a J (but not both, obviously) which would explain him calling your $10 bet on the river; but he very well may have sensed a much stronger hand if you'd started betting aggressively right after the flop, and you would have gotten much less out of this hand.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands