Good play or tragic punt ?

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I lost a hand today in which I had AK off in the big blind 50p/1£ blinds cut off raises to 4 and here is maybe the first mistake as I flat to try and under rep my hand and i didnt want to play a big pot out of position if I missed flop. Flop comes J 8 8 I check raise villains cbet of 4.50 to 11 which if I'm willing to do post flop I should do pre and he makes the call turn brings a 4 and he checks I bet 16.50 he calls. river is another 4 and now I shove river for almost pot trying to get a Jack to fold with my represented full house of 8s full and he then tank calls With AJ suited. Thoughts guys on the play?

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have the 8,then you would of put out a value bet to be called,,,not try to push me out of the hand. :rolleyes:

toots babos

toots babos

ex-tornament grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How does he check the turn to you when you're first to act?

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I liked the bluff even though it didn't work. It would've worked had he not had the J but more times then not, he won't have it.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tragic Punt

I lost a hand today in which I had AK off in the big blind 50p/1£ blinds cut off raises to 4 and here is maybe the first mistake as I flat to try and under rep my hand and i didnt want to play a big pot out of position if I missed flop. Flop comes J 8 8 I check raise villains cbet of 4.50 to 11 which if I'm willing to do post flop I should do pre and he makes the call turn brings a 4 and he checks I bet 16.50 he calls. river is another 4 and now I shove river for almost pot trying to get a Jack to fold with my represented full house of 8s full and he then tank calls With AJ suited. Thoughts guys on the play?

You had a plan preflop, do not build a big pot out of position. Yet you abandoned your plan on a very stagnate board. Either you have the 8 or you don't.

So your opponent need worry about you having very few combos of winning hands but more combos of bluffs and worse jacks.

Also can this player even reason that out at this level of play?

Here is a thought regarding how players think at that level.
This is your villain thinking.

Why would he raise with and 8? Well if he has and 8 it's just bad luck but I could hit a jack. I only have to worry about an 8 so I guess I call. I knew it was not an 8.

The number one mistake most players make is calling.

Strategy thought: what if you floated the flop and check raised the 4 turn? Would it not seem more likely even in the most basic of brains that you had an 8.

Hope this helps :)

M

mikeisthebestever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just think the story you are trying to tell doesnt make much sense.
If you had an 8 on this board would you really lead out? How often are these players folding top top?

Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why you changed your plan? If you representing 8 just call. Turn fold.

T

tb87

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah your story changes too much from his perspective and seems like a bluff especially with the pot size bet at the end. Dont be afriad to fold AK.

david1bear

david1bear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah those AKs can be over rated:0) if you didn't hit and your raising and you have a person calling and checking, it would seem to me that person has something and I would be checking the river and the turn and folding any bets after:0) Hopefully lesson learned. Good luck and keep grinding

B

blackburn44

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you should 3 bet preflop and i think shove in the river was super risky againist a possible trips. Even he dont have trips, it was not a good bluff on that spot.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it is better to preflop with AK because it allows to get more information on the opponents hand. when he just calls your raise. you have the best hand. If the flop is unfavorable and I feel too much strength in my opponent. I prefer to throw AK flop or limit on the turn.

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK is a funny hand to play with out of position. I raise most of teh time, but sometimes check to under represent. You said your plan was to "not build a big pot," but that is just what you did.

The first bluff was OK, but one needs to stay with their original plans unless something changes, There is no change.

H

HaroldHouse

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You didnt want to build a big pot then try to steal with nothing but big bets???
When you bluff you need to have some sort of a hand.. and the key here is your oppenent should have a weak hand.

B

blackburn44

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
almost always 3 bet ak. because you did not have a pair preflop.

flop you got a check raise call. it is not good. there are many better shooving spots. Your opponent also must be a good player to fold :)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
How does he check the turn to you when you're first to act?

Yeah sorry I got the action wrong I led out

Perhaps this thread should be locked /closed and then started over again if OP chooses to. The action of the hand is wrong and the majority of the members' responses to it are irrelevant as they don't even describe the actual hand as it played out :(

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I liked the bluff even though it didn't work. It would've worked had he not had the J but more times then not, he won't have it.

even after he calls a x/R on the flop?

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In other words... One more AK getting destroyed. Just fold preflop next time. Easy.

TonyTwoCheeks

TonyTwoCheeks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just think the story you are trying to tell doesnt make much sense.
If you had an 8 on this board would you really lead out? How often are these players folding top top?

Thoroughly agree with Mike's comment. Throwing chips in the pot does not equate to good bluffing. Players will take the hand back to preflop to see if your line make sense or not.

For example, a hand I played last week went like this. $1/$1 with $150 effective

Hero
:8d4::9d4:
UTG raises to $15 and cut-off calls
Flop:
:4d4::8c4::5s4:
Hero bets $20 and CO calls
Turn:
:2d4:

Hero checks with the intention of calling flush draw and CO checks
River:
:7h4:

Hero checks and CO bets $55 into $70 pot
Now I audibly exclaim "Huh?"
I know he's trying to tell me he has a straight but what sixes could he have. Going back to preflop I tried to figure what he could have called UTG raise with (99s, TTs, and broadway cards seemed most likely...A6o and small suited connectors are not this guy's range). There weren't enough hands to fold to so I called.

Bonus Lesson "Be from Missouri!":
After the call, he proclaims, "Straight" but hasn't turned his hand over.
I don't relinquish my cards and calmly say, "Okay, show me."
He turns over :ad4::kd4: and says he was trying to represent the straight figuring I had 99-JJ.

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You said you didn't want to play a big pot out of position if you missed the flop, then proceeded to build the pot on every street even though you never hit any part of the board.
As you played it your check-raise showed strength and villain's called showed even more strength, I believe this is where you should have known you were beaten and decided not to put any more chips in.

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just like in boxing, everyone has a plan before they get hit. In my opinion after the flop and especially after the turn if the other hand is still calling I would check, definitely not push.