Good Bluff or Bad Line?

T

TCashMoney19

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Short version - I wouldn't 3bet this hand from SB. On the turn you are looking for a fold where you will very rarely get one. On the turn the hand doesn't hold enough value to justify getting the money in.

Somewhat unnecessary longer version-

I think there are a couple of considerations:

Pre-flop to me this is almost always a fold; unless the button has been getting massively out of line, their fold vs 3bets is very high or they will fold to cbets a large amount. This hand just won't flop very well and will be difficult to play out of position in a bloated pot; so you are looking for quick folds from villian without a contest for the pot.

As played, turn becomes the decision point in the hand:

I don't believe this is an effective bluff/ semi bluff - Facing a turn pot bet means that your shove has little to no fold equity, to me villian is saying 'I want to get the money in now, I don't want to allow draws to get the there before the money is in'; ok sometimes they might do this with no made hand such as overcards but even then we often need to hit the draw to win the pot.

If its not a bluff then is it for value? - simply put, no, we aren't going to improve enough of the time on the river to make this a profitable all in situation.

Overall I think this play puts you in too many weird spots post flop that you cant expect to get much value from. :)

+1 I agree with a lot of what you said here. At the time I thought he was so nitty that he's going to be folding a lot of the time, but once the turn hits and he pots it it's time to shut down. Just some fancy play syndrome I had at the time [emoji12]

T

theresets

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd rather just barrell off without checking. When he bets a little over full pot on the turn I don't expect a lot of folds to a jam

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I haven't read all the comments but your flop bet is too small and your turn check caps you to a weak or medium hand that is at best pot controlling. You can't check the turn and rep anything that he's scared of with JJ.
If you has AA KK or better you'd never check the turn. Simples.

T

Tricky123bet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think youre overthinking this by a mile. its 2NL just play tight, bet for value and fold when you dont have a hand or proper drawing odds, youll make money

oh and dont bluff

Totally agree with this. Although you might find a way to make this spot +EV if you are a good post flop player, this isn't where we are going to make our money. You worry too much about becoming exploitable at 2nl, a place where the majority only worries about their own hand. A place where you should bet for value, and fold when shown much aggression.
I don't mind your 3-bet with Q5s (you pointed out the problem with the blockers), but you were way overthinking this postflop, and got into trouble because of that.