Flush draw vs called c-bet; s/h 25NL

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A few beers deep, was flipping through some old hands, and was a little interested in a few hands including this one:

pokerstars GAME #9355552017: HOLD'EM NO LIMIT ($0.10/$0.25) - 2007/04/10 - 18:10:49 (ET)
Table 'Althaea V' 9-max Seat #5 is the button
Seat 5: ChuckTs ($24.65 in chips)
Seat 6: Thomxxx ($18.15 in chips)
Seat 8: Blackboi30 ($10 in chips)
Thomxxx: posts small blind $0.10
ktownkillaz joins the table at seat #2
Blackboi30: posts big blind $0.25
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to ChuckTs [Kh] [10h]
CowboyKoen joins the table at seat #9
ChuckTs: raises $0.50 to $0.75
Thomxxx: folds
Blackboi30: calls $0.50
*** FLOP *** [Qh] [6s] [3h]
Blackboi30: checks
ChuckTs: bets $1
Blackboi30: calls $1
*** TURN *** [Qh] [6s] [3h] [9c]
ChuckTs: ...

No reads, only a few hands into my session as I've just recently sat down.

Last edited:
Lo-Dog

Lo-Dog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my play of the day is to fire the second bullet. You have plenty of outs if called, villian seems weak.

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agree on 2nd bullet, can't give up yet. 1/2 pot bet.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I third that sentiment. He looks to be drawing himself.

skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
drawing or trapping. In the absence of other info, I check here. Take the free card with so many outs. Getting check raised out of your hand would suck.

A

alan1983

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At 25NL i think your default move against unknown should be to bet here.

Sure you may get check raised once in a while but expect to take it down here with a bet extremely often.

Edit: i thought he was the one doing the betting and you the calling. My bad.

Check isnt bad here. No point paying off a shortstack that wouldnt go away with qj

pedroman7

pedroman7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say check here if you dont know how the guy plays. One you
don't know where he is at and he did call the first bet. Two checking
make you look weak so if you hit on river he may call a big bet thinking he is best.
If you had a read on him different story, base what you do on what you think he has.

smells_flushy

smells_flushy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you check here, the villain will have little doubt of your weak hand. As someone else stated, he might have JQ, less likely Q10. Seems like he plans to call you down to the end, in which case, I would take the free card.

If you choose to make another bet here, and you are called, and you didn't hit your card, you are going to hate it if he fires a bet. You'd lose the chips you invested in the Turn. Even if he checks on the river, you have a tough decision to make. He proved that he will call you down, so you most likely will check with your K high... unveiling some information about yourself.

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I'm with the firing the second bullet crowd. If you check, it's going to be pretty obvious you're on a draw. Then, if you see a heart on the river, you're not very likely to get much value for it, since when you bet, it would be clear that you hit your flush. With another bet on the turn, you are disguising your hand, and are forcing him to think about what you may have, and may get paid off if your draw(s) hit on the river.

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The "right" answer in terms of equity is probably to check behind, since it's likely he has a medium pair etc. By betting you're turning your hand into a bluff. You have 12 cards which are almost certainly outs (hearts and Jacks), plus 3 Kings which may be outs, as well as 3 Tens which could also be outs, which makes you nearly 40% to hit one of them.

Betting is certainly the more aggressive option, but I prefer checking behind. You might get check-raised. If you do hit a Jack or Heart on the river, there's a good chance you'll get paid off. He has no reason to think you're on a flush or straight draw and your hand is well disguised. Your check on the turn makes your hand look weaker and often he'll call a bet when you hit any part of your hand, with a hand like 88.

Also, if an Ace comes on the river, you can use this as a good card to bluff at, so that counts as an extra 3 outs.

Also you should think about what kind of image you're trying to create. By default you should be creating a tight image. But if you're trying to get a loose image so you'll get paid off (whereas you're actually going to be playing very tight), you should bet.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
During the hand I just thought that I didn't want to get too deep with the c-betting, considering that he'd most likely call me down anyways. I checked behind, missed my draw and faced an inviting river bet which I of course had to fold.

POKERSTARS GAME #9355552017: HOLD'EM NO LIMIT ($0.10/$0.25) - 2007/04/10 - 18:10:49 (ET)
Table 'Althaea V' 9-max Seat #5 is the button
Seat 5: ChuckTs ($24.65 in chips)
Seat 6: Thomxxx ($18.15 in chips)
Seat 8: Blackboi30 ($10 in chips)
Thomxxx: posts small blind $0.10
ktownkillaz joins the table at seat #2
Blackboi30: posts big blind $0.25
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to ChuckTs [Kh Th]
CowboyKoen joins the table at seat #9
ChuckTs: raises $0.50 to $0.75
Thomxxx: folds
Blackboi30: calls $0.50
*** FLOP *** [Qh 6s 3h]
ChuckTs: bets $1
Blackboi30: calls $1
*** TURN *** [Qh 6s 3h] [9c]
ChuckTs: checks
*** RIVER *** [Qh 6s 3h 9c] [7c]
Blackboi30: bets $1
ChuckTs: folds
Blackboi30 collected $3.45 from pot
Blackboi30: doesn't show hand
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $3.60 | Rake $0.15
Board [Qh 6s 3h 9c 7c]
Seat 5: ChuckTs (button) folded on the River
Seat 6: Thomxxx (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 8: Blackboi30 (big blind) collected ($3.45)

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not such a bad result. People sometimes forget that game is about betting on who has the best hand, and end up trying to win every single pot when they have nothing. There's really nothing wrong with letting this hand go with King high. Win big pots, and lose small ones like this one.

Full Flush Poker