FL $1/2.00 AK, sb. What would u guys have done???

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you know anything about this guy? Any read at all? When you take the turn to three bets, you're saying "I slowplayed the flop" loud and clear, and he still caps the betting. Some players will do that with a hand like A9/K9/A6 etc. though, so it's not necessarily the case that he has you beat. I'd like to say that you should bet/call the river because you're ahead so very often and you'd hate to have him check behind his AJ, but... I dunno. At the table, I probably check/call because I'm a tight/passive nit. I'd like to say that you should bet/call though.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everything is standard here except checking the flop which is awful. I like check-calling the river.

A somewhat related question to people who know more about limit than I do - if the flop is capped, do we cap the turn too (assuming we're playing an unknown)?

Last edited:
Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmmm... the only hand you lose to here is 66, although it does really look like he has it... Still, maybe a less-than-solid player would do this with a worse 2-pair or has "slowplayed" AT or something like that and doesn't believe you'd check the flop with an Ace. Or he could have slowplayed 99.

Seeing as no worse hand will bet if you check the river, and any better hand (i.e. a set) will surely bet if you check, you have to spend at least 1 bet on the river, so don't think of it as "I'm losing 2 bets if I bet and get raised". You're losing just 1 extra bet when he has a set but gaining 1 when he doesn't... so you have to weigh up whether you think it's 50%+ that he has a set.

Since the only set he has here realistically is 66, I'd say other hands like 96 suited, A6 or K6 are statistically just as likely, making it worth a bet/call. This is where you check your HUD and see how many hands he's playing - would he limp in with something like that? If he's a solid, tight player, (VPIP<20%) 66 is more likely and you should check/call.

He'd have to be a donk to be capping the turn with a flush draw - however that's a situation where the check-call might get an extra bet.

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you know anything about this guy? Any read at all?

Nope, not much other than I have seen him go all the way with a pocket pair when 3 overcards to his pocket pair where showing on table. He also bet all the way with AK giving him A high.

After the turn I had put him on either A6s or pocket 6`s. Did not put him on a big pocket pair as he would have raised pre flop IMO.

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the final bit...

PokerStars Game #8967366622: Hold'em Limit ($1/$2) - 2007/03/18 - 15:49:26 (ET) Table 'Calpurnia' 10-max Seat #10 is the button Seat 1: ronaldadio ($91.75 in chips) Seat 2: RWE1968 ($68.75 in chips) Seat 3: marleydog ($35.75 in chips) Seat 4: mhoweller ($35.75 in chips) Seat 5: xlittleonex ($80 in chips) Seat 6: --HGII-- ($19.75 in chips) Seat 7: Rasico69 ($19.25 in chips) Seat 8: knightowl ($35 in chips) Seat 9: JTJT99 ($46.25 in chips) Seat 10: ramashiva ($43.50 in chips)
ronaldadio: posts small blind $0.50
RWE1968: posts big blind $1
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to ronaldadio [Kh Ad]
marleydog: folds
mhoweller: folds
marleydog leaves the table
xlittleonex: folds
--HGII--: calls $1
Rasico69: folds
knightowl: folds
JTJT99: folds
ramashiva: folds
ronaldadio: raises $1 to $2
RWE1968: calls $1
--HGII--: calls $1
*** FLOP *** [9c As Kc]
ronaldadio: checks
RWE1968: checks
--HGII--: checks
*** TURN *** [9c As Kc] [6s]
ronaldadio: bets $2
RWE1968: calls $2
--HGII--: raises $2 to $4
ronaldadio: raises $2 to $6
RWE1968: folds
tcisme joins the table at seat #3
--HGII--: raises $2 to $8
Betting is capped
ronaldadio: calls $2
*** RIVER *** [9c As Kc 6s] [7h]
ronaldadio: bets $2
--HGII--: raises $2 to $4
ronaldadio: calls $2
*** SHOW DOWN ***
--HGII--: shows [6d 6c] (three of a kind, Sixes) :banghead: "I f*****g knew it" :mad:
ronaldadio: shows [Kh Ad] (two pair, Aces and Kings)
--HGII-- collected $31 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $32 | Rake $1
Board [9c As Kc 6s 7h]
Seat 1: ronaldadio (small blind) showed [Kh Ad] and lost with two pair, Aces and Kings Seat 2: RWE1968 (big blind) folded on the Turn Seat 3: marleydog folded before Flop (didn't bet) Seat 4: mhoweller folded before Flop (didn't bet) Seat 5: xlittleonex folded before Flop (didn't bet) Seat 6: --HGII-- showed [6d 6c] and won ($31) with three of a kind, Sixes Seat 7: Rasico69 folded before Flop (didn't bet) Seat 8: knightowl folded before Flop (didn't bet) Seat 9: JTJT99 folded before Flop (didn't bet) Seat 10: ramashiva (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there was some good news

After this I decided to play NL $0.25/0.50

Started with $100 and after 110 mins I was siitting with $248 - result :party:

A

Aston Maratin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
reraise or push

ARE YOU SERIOUS?

Not be an ass, but if you dont know what to do with AK when folded to you in $1/$2 LIMIT, you shouldnt be playing poker.
reraise or push

W

werner

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi ronaldadio,
what's the reason you changed to $0.50/1.00 NLHE ???
I play FLHE most of the time because i think there is less variance in FLHE !
Or am i wrong ?

C

chispa73

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know this is pretty old but Ronald..you said you were in seat 1, does that mean the button? Also, I'm curious what the stats or your impression of the villian was before the hand?

BTW, AKo is one of the biggest losing hands I play. I can't let go sometimes. What I've done lately though is bet out on the flop and see if someone plays back at me if I miss. If not then I fire off on the turn hoping to get a free showdown if I'm in position. This guy might have folded had you bet the flop not trying to hit the last two sixes in the deck. Don't worry, those types of guys who chase are where you profit from.