Fish hooks, $10NL against calling station

edge-t

edge-t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain is a calling station seeing more than 60% of the flop and showing down with nothing more than a bottom pair, provided the price is not too steep.

I think I made a mistake on the river.... In hind sight, his hand was so obvious, that it's dumb of me not to notice.

Hold'em No Limit ($0.05/$0.10) - 2007-03-20 22:52:51
Table 'Osprey Valley' 9-max Seat #7 is the button
Seat 1: ($21.82)
Seat 2: ($9.20)
Seat 3: Hero ($19.85)
Seat 4: ($15.64)
Seat 5: ($15.82)
Seat 6: ($12.04)
Seat 7: ($7.33)
Seat 8: ($4.25)
Seat 9: Villain ($36.88)
------------------------------
NEW HAND
Seat 8: posts the small blind $0.05
Villain: posts the big blind $0.10

Preflop
Hero is dealt :jd4::jh4:

Fold, Fold, Hero raises $0.25 to $0.35, 5 folds Villain calls $0.25

FLOP ($0.75)
:2d4::qs4::js4:

Villain checks, Hero bets $0.75, Villain calls $0.75

TURN ($2.25)
:10h4:

Villain checks, Hero bets $2.25, Villain calls $2.25

RIVER ($6.75)
:4c4:

Villain bets $6.75, Hero??
This got me all weird inside, He could be holding 98, K9, or anything. He showed a willingness to call down to the river with bottom pair, middle pair. But he never bets unless he's got a good enough hand.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Results:

Hero: calls $6.75
Villain: shows [Td Qh], Two Pair, Queens and Tens
Hero: shows [Jd,Jh], Three of a Kind, Jacks

Hand 629562580:
Hero: wins($20.15)
with Three of a Kind, Jacks

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have no hesitation putting the donk in here, this is one of these situations where betting for value comes into it. Dont be looking for monsters under your bed here, you said he has shown a willingness to play bottom pair type hands, so what makes you think he is holding the nuts this time. If you look at you BB/100 ratio on PT it is probably somewhere in the 15-20 range, playing hands like this correctly ups you win margin substantialy, these hands dont come around very often. Learn to value bet them.

Shove, and smile when he shows a hand like Q4 :)

Edit : Just seen the results, you should leave them out the next time.

titans4ever

titans4ever

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PUSH! PUSH! PUSH!

You really think he slowplayed QQ? That is the only hand that has you beat. This bet is screaming 2 pair or smaller set. You have him crushed so make him pay to see your JJ.

Doubling up in NL is what you dream of. pray he reloads otherwise leave the table so you bank the money.

A

alan1983

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All-inn. might have had the occasional AK 4 outs chaser on flop but set is too nice to pass off.

edge-t

edge-t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the replies guys. I didn't shove, I was afraid of monsters under my bed. I did call though. When I looked back, it's dumb of me not to shove. Like you guys said, he's holding two pairs. queens and tens. I could have doubled up, but I guess it doesn't matter now.

Problem with me is that I get too weak tight sometimes. Guess I missed a chance to gain another 50PTBB on this hand.

When is it time to lay down your set? Not the top set of course... Or do we never ever lay a set down?

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i thought K10/KJ/Q10 were all possible. really only behind to two hands drawing to a gutshot, which is unlikely. put it in here

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yea

Im not a big fan of everyone else and love pushing on the river. I don't mind the call really. At that level im not sure but at higher levels they wont pay you off on the river, you usually are only getting a call if you are beat. I mean his bet didn't look like a blocking bet, he had a good hand, not great but good. He honestly thought it was best hand but to a push all in on river he might of mucked it and then you never know what he had. I think just calling to gain the information might be good.

again though I don't play rivers for alot, I tend to get all my value on the flop and the turn then price them in on river unless they bet and then I reevaluate and usually just call. Im more aggressive during the preflop and 1st two streets.

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the replies guys. I didn't shove, I was afraid of monsters under my bed. I did call though. When I looked back, it's dumb of me not to shove. Like you guys said, he's holding two pairs. queens and tens. I could have doubled up, but I guess it doesn't matter now.

Problem with me is that I get too weak tight sometimes. Guess I missed a chance to gain another 50PTBB on this hand.

When is it time to lay down your set? Not the top set of course... Or do we never ever lay a set down?

well if the board is TJQK2 and 4 are hearts and you hold KK then you lay down your set. :)

I have laid it down before to 4 board flushes or 4 board straights or if I just knew I was beat. On flop usually never.