€25 NLHE 6-max: AA vs aggro donk

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
idk exactly what you're talking about with "the label of manic" but you base it on information, game flow, and other reads that you make because you're a poker player.

also QQ on a AT6 is probably the bottom of your range, so itd be fine to call 1 street, or perhaps maybe two, but its kinda like KQ on a T94r board in a HU match. you might call a street or two, but its the bottom of your range so you shouldn't be overly concerned about having to fold to avoid a more costly mistake later

19 hands still isnt enough to assign a player type.

This hand would be SO much more interesting if hero didnt hold AA yet had decided villian was a manic based on 19 hands.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i don't really see the point of "assigning a player type". players are all different. they may have particular tendencies or quirks, and stats can help you identify them.

ignoring stats when they're blatantly feeding you information (eg. guy is 60/60 over 19 hands at a FR table, etc) is going to end up costing you more in opportunity cost than it will cost you in mistakes with misplaying the bottom of your range or whatever

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im a big Ed Miller fan and he did a video saying the exact opposite.

That you shouldnt assume a villian is anything other than average based on only a few hands. Unless you actually get to see the cards he is playing. Then you can more quickly assign player type.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
who cares about "player type"? seriously, what is this, 2002?

you can "assume" that hes an average player, but there are still times when stats are so clearly in your face that the information is going to instabenefit you and make your account swollen. don't make it a stigma where you can't crush the fish just because you don't wanna put faith in the 95/25 vpip/pfr just because its over 25 hands and you gotta make sure you wait until you've played 300 hands w/ the guy and need accurate "turn raise/fold ratio frequency tittybang" stats in order to properly identify every aspect of your range and his.

it boils down to this: a guy who's blatantly retarded isn't going to be at your table for very long. use all the information you get and grab your balls and take his money before the next thinking player does.

don't be a hudbot.

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Now with more hands I could happily call 3 streets and a shove, but as is the label of "manic" isnt helpful as it isnt based on enough hands.

He may not be a "maniac" but from the few stats we have on him + his play in this hand (limp/call -> minraise) I think we can assume that he is a fish, and will overvalue pairs + draws IMO.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry stu, you're wrong on this one. 19 hands is enough to determine donkdom.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What pascal said: the stats we have matter less than the fact that he's open limping the button and minraising postflop. Villain is a fish.

And fwiw I generally just 3bet here to a size that lets me stack turn.