€10 NLHE 6-max: Going broke on flopped flush

A

ArtsyB

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 74/21/48 (only 35 hands played against him)

Hi everyone,

Here's the hand:

partypoker, Hold'em No Limit - €0.05/€0.10 - 5 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

Antigeroi (UTG): €12.41 (124 bb)
dartiv (CO): €10.00 (100 bb)
Bubuloveur (BU): €19.10 (191 bb)
ArtsyB (SB): €16.78 (168 bb)
Maikiesp (BB): €13.77 (138 bb)

Pre-Flop: (€0.15) Hero (ArtsyB) is SB with 5 6
2 players fold, Bubuloveur (BU) calls €0.10, ArtsyB (SB) calls €0.05, Maikiesp (BB) checks

Flop: (€0.30) 9 4 7 (3 players)
ArtsyB (SB) bets €0.19, Maikiesp (BB) calls €0.19, Bubuloveur (BU) raises to €0.47, ArtsyB (SB) raises to €1.65, Maikiesp (BB) folds, Bubuloveur (BU) raises to €19 (all-in), ArtsyB (SB) calls €15.03 (all-in)

Turn: (€33.85) 8 (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: (€33.85) 10(2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: €33.85 (Rake: €4.32)

Showdown:
Bubuloveur (BU) shows 2 K (a flush, King high)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 56%, Flop: 91%, Turn: 95%, River: 100%)

ArtsyB (SB) shows 5 6 (a flush, Nine high)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 44%, Flop: 9%, Turn: 5%, River: 0%)

Bubuloveur (BU) wins €29.53

I would love to have your thoughts: is it EV+ to call here? Or the bet size is just too large to be anything but a better flopped flush? I found out that apparently there is a 2.59% chance that vs one opponent, that opponent also flopped a flush when you did (!!).. I'm trying to reassure myself, thinking that villain could have had a set here, or Ah9x, or AhAx or KhKx as a trap... Not even mentioning my straight flush draw! :laugh:

I think over-limping here is ok, but some may suggest isolating is better, even though it would be bottom range, especially when it seems like villain will calls a lot preflop. I don't think slow playing is relevant as the hand is vulnerable to any higher hearts... Any other thoughts on the action?

Is it just a "bad luck, move on bro" situation, or next time I'm confronted with this type of action I should consider folding?!

Many thanks, looking forward to reading your replies!

Last edited:
M

mktpppr

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
P: don't complete, iso or fold.

It would be a loose iso, especially vs 74/21 guy, but not crazy. My nitty standard iso is 76s in this spot.

F: as played, bet bigger to 75-100% pot.

Easy call vs raise multi-way, especially vs small (2.47x) raise sizing. We have showdown value and drawing to the nuts.

We are overplaying our hand with a 3bet multi-way. Pot being multi-way and unraised means chances of a higher flush are better than HU and raised.

As played (big 3.51x 3bet), easy fold vs gargantuan 9x 4bet jam for all the biscuits.

No sample, but 74/21 means this guy is never bluffing in this spot.

Please don't post results.

A

ArtsyB

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks a lot, makes so much sense.

Apologies for posting the result I realised I shouldn't have but then was too late to edit.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You're asking if you should fold a made flush w/ a re-draw to an OE straight flush on the flop vs a whale.

If you hate money, then YES.. for sure, fold.

There's no wrong questions, so I'm just ribbing you... but first thing for a beginner to learn in poker... don't be results oriented.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
Your only mistake is that you didn't isolate preflop. Postflop was a cooler and you want to get all the money in by the turn, so nothing you could do about it.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In preflop the call is marginal. You have the worst position in that sequence and you are playing cash games. The default option is to bluff with your holding or fold.
Since you played preflop, you don't represent a significant range, so there is merit to bet the flop on this 3MWB. As for the size you made, it should be smaller since in this texture you want all the semi bluffs to pay you, not just the best ones. And if some V has a dominated hand (most likely) you don't want to kick it here either. A more appropriate ratio should be around 30-50% of the pot as a donk bet maximum.
When the V raise OTF we have a special situation. Since this is a limp pot, neither villain represents a strong range most of the time.
At the same time, you are not blocking any heart overcards that the limp opener could now represent in his range of semi bluffs.
As for villain BB, he will generally fold out of the game most of the time BTN raises, so 3-betting is a bit of overplaying your hand. But even though you limit BTN's ability to bluff, once you 3-bet you can't fold when you've decided to play your hand, even though you're probably dominated by better draws. Because basically the villain now represents better blockers than you.
Regarding the size of 3-bet, I definitely like any ratio greater than the size of the pot, like you have chosen.
Greetings.

R

ronn6583

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should have been alerted that on a suited flop, one opponent called your bet of 2/3 of the pot, and the second raised the bet by another 2/3 of the pot. The 1.5 pot overbet that followed said you had a made hand (flush). One opponent folded. The second went all-in, stating that he also has a made hand (Flush).
At this point, you need to watch what flushes you will beat before calling all-in. You have 2 outs left on the straight flush. Bluff is definitely not here. This is a typical head-to-head collision.

Full Flush Poker